Author Topic: Do your cats know their names?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
Re: Do your cats know their names?
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 21:35:53 PM »
Lily's learned a new phrase to ignore!
When a cat is sat on my lap, and I want to get up, I usually speak first. Not that they understand English, but a little warning can avoid them digging their claws into me in panic at sudden movements.
I use the words "excuse me", and when I say that to Lily, her ears go back, and her tail thumps two or three times. I've left it half a minute and tried again, and the same thing happens, over and over.
She probably thinks I don't notice!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 18:14:17 PM »
Bob answers to both Bob and Squeak, when I call out of the back door, Pippa usually answers to Pip Pip Pip Pip Pippin, Emo just answers to Emo. They all cop a deaf 'un when they don't want to listen except for the tell tale ear flicks :evillaugh:, usually if I am calling one they all come in case they are missing something :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I forgot to say they all answer to "Diiiinner" out of the back door :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 21:48:01 PM by Judecat, Reason: last comment to say »
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:50 AM »
Thanks Sue
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
Thanks Dawn
Yeah, still think it was so unfair what happened  :'(

Yes.  Can't believe it's been five years Stuart.  Clear to see though that she's in your heart, and as strongly as ever.   :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 13:55:14 PM »
Thanks Dawn
Yeah, still think it was so unfair what happened  :'(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 13:37:05 PM »
can't believe that about lovely Olivia, still heartbroken I'm sure stuart  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
Hamish and Misty never answered to their names, and Robbie, well, he only answers to his food sachets  :evillaugh:
Our Olivia tho, she was like a Dog  :shocked: and would come bounding over to you when called  :Luv2:
on the 28th of this month will be Olivia's 5th year at the Bridge :'(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 20:34:38 PM »
Oh yes, knowing their name and responding to it are 2 very different things!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 18:13:26 PM »
yes all 3 know their names but choose to ignore it most of time especially Sasa and Lupin when he has gone escaping!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:51 AM »
Ours all know their names, but choose to ignore them unless it's something they think may interest them. 

Tinks always came when you called him.  He was a good boy, was our Tinky Twowsas.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:54:27 AM »
The cats all know their names, even if they are copping a deaf 'un the tips of the ears flick :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 00:30:58 AM »
I call all my cats "Oi!"
They all answer to it.

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 23:39:25 PM »
My Billy certainly knows his name . He always responds to it.  :Luv2:   

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 20:21:32 PM »
Yes, Alfie will come when he is called. As long as I also make a noise like food  ;D If he is out, I can usually get him back by tapping something metallic against the ladders on the wall. Again, I suspect that will only continue to work as long as he knows that food will be forthcoming when he gets back.

I think Cleo is quite deaf - although she could just be doing a very good job of ignoring us!

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 19:23:36 PM »
Winnie definitely knows her name.

Comes every time she is called, plus I have a special whistle for her as well which she loves me doing.

She also knows when she is being naughty because she stops doing whatever it is when she hears her full name of Winifred lol.

Julz xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
As far as I can recall my last two knew their names, and would had very good recall.  Chloe, my last, could sit, give paw, turn round all on command.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 22:35:49 PM »
None of The Moggnificent Seven give a hoot about their names and ignore us completely unless they want something.  They are cats after all  :innocent:

All that is except our Billy Whiz.  It may just be the sound of us saying "Billy" but I have no doubt that he knows it no matter what tone it is said in; softly spoken or urgently stated.  Billy knows his name.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 20:43:51 PM »
Mine respond to their names when they choose to :innocent:, although to be fair they are more frequently addressed collectively as "you lot". 

They're much more receptive to words like "breakfast", "teatime" and "biscuits" :naughty:.

. . . I think it's more the sound of the word than the specific word, in particular the vowel sound.

I agree; when I chose Eleanor's name I made sure it didn't sound like either of the boys' names.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 20:02:13 PM »
They definitely respond to their name, although I think it's more the sound of the word than the specific word, in particular the vowel sound.  At the weekend I was calling Kito who was in the kitchen and Mosi, nearby on the cat tree, ignored me but when I then called Mosi in the same tone of voice he turned his head immediately to look at me.  Of course they also respond to each other's name if they think the other might be getting something tasty  :innocent:

Mosi also responds to my singing his special song  :-[  Always brings him to me.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 15:37:34 PM »
Interesting that he whistles 'Tie and yellow ribbon' to his cat to get him to come in. We used to whistle The Flintstones to call our old cat Greycat, she loved us to whistle she'd come right up to your mouth.

I think they hear the tone rather than the actual name. I definitely have a different voice to talk to the cats.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 14:28:50 PM »
I think that is why tilly knows her name, she is a naughty mare!

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 14:27:37 PM »
Beau seems to. He always comes when called, but doesn't repond when I call Chester....so he seems to know the difference

Chester occasionally responds when I call him but ignores me the rest of the time! But then he follows me around everywhere so I don't have to use his name often!  Mainly it's when I'm saying "Chester, NO!! Chester don't eat/climb/scratch/do that" :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 13:04:45 PM »
tilly does, star and willow don't but I rarely use their names so you can't blame them!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Do your cats know their names?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
They are discussing this on Jeremy Vine today, but am sure I will be on my lunch when this topic is on  >:(

Jeremy Corbyn says cats react to a voice rather than their name, so just calls his cat El Gato.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12104166/Jeremy-Corbyn-wont-name-his-cat-and-instead-simply-calls-it-the-cat.html

I am sure my 3 all know their name, but I might experiment (if I remember) by waiting til 2 or more are in the same room and calling their names.

Just as an aside, whenever I am having a phone conversation, Denzel will find me and jump on my lap if possible - either she thinks I'm talking to her, or she is wondering why I'm paying attention to her instead of the phone!  :evillaugh:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat