Author Topic: Arthritis and Joint Movement  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Arthritis and Joint Movement
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 17:03:26 PM »
I don't have any experience with this particular brand but my friend swears by arthrotabs for her elderly cats, this is also mainly green-lipped mussel.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 16:59:43 PM »
My partner has arthritis in his knee and takes green lipped mussel extract when it gets bad (he doesn't take any painkillers).
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 16:28:40 PM »
Yes Dawn is right, you can buy it in Holland & Barrret for £14.99. My mum has just started using it.
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 14:21:14 PM »
Thanks Dawn  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 14:15:05 PM »
yes gill you can buy it Holland and barrett type places for sure

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 14:12:20 PM »
I have heard that mentioned before and wonder if it would work for Misa.................his arthritus caused by a serious injury to is right back leg and maybe more before he was 4 years old.

I didnt know about it nor my vet but in desperation to find out what the proble was that was stopping him being able to move I went for every test including xrays. My vet rang me and said did I know that Misa had a large pin from top of leg to knee in that leg........................I wa shocked as was my vet.

So that leg has arthritus badly but also the bottom of his spine/top of tail and its also extending into other back leg.

Despite metacam he can no longer jump up onto quite low things although most of time he can get upstairs now.

But also think about this for my mother who cannot turn her head in one direction....................do you know one for humans Katie?

Thanks very much for the info  ;D ;D

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
Arthritis and Joint Movement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »

I have an interesting story regards treatment of arthritis in cats and dogs and hoomans which you may have heard before but if not, is really worth knowing. I'll try and keep it short....but you know me! :innocent: 

Over a year ago I was at the vet as Pugsey our Jack Russell continued to be very lame on one leg with arthritis, the vet in question also practiced complimentary therapies and told the fascinating story of his 80 year old father who was miserable with arthritis and started taking green lipped muscle from the health food shop. Well his life changed completely as his arthritis was better than it had been for years.

We were all concerned about Pusgsey taking so much metacalm and another painkiller which I can't remember the name of now but both were contributing to raised liver levels. So in short we decided to give the complimentary therapy a go.
What a difference. It has taken years off him, he is now running for a tennis ball and can jump up on the sofa easily to come and have a cuddle! Don't get me wrong if we go on an exceptionally long walk he may start limping, but he is always recovers quickly the next day. Only this week I was watching a friends very old collie cross on Facebook playing at the edge of the sea like he'd lost years. He was still taking meta calm twice a week but GLM had allowed him to reduce that.  ;D ;D

At first we continued getting big tubs of it from the vet but now we have found it online for half the price.
More importantly, THEY NOW DO IT FOR CATS! You open the capsule and pour the powder on their food, some cats eat it straight from a saucer apparently. So it can't be that bad!  ;D You can also double the dose too.

So, it's called YUMOVE ADVANCED CAT (or dog) £11.90 for 60 on www.medicanimal.com

If you decide to try some, let me know how you get on, but it does take around two weeks to start working.

Katie  ;D
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Link to CatChat