Author Topic: Where cats can tread.  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Where cats can tread.
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 13:08:23 PM »
 :sick:

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 16:55:58 PM »
My old boss used to tell me that he knew someone that had so many cats that he turned his bath into one giant litter tray.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 16:41:46 PM »
Am I missing something (It's not unheard of!  :-[ )? Why shouldn't cats be allowed on bathroom surfaces? It's not azif you are going to eat off them. Is it??  :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 18:39:32 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cats rule dogs dreul  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
Sounds like you are well and truly under the paw like all good cat slaves  :evillaugh:

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 01:58:59 AM »
Well the results didn't surprise me. I found it so funny that there are more kitties on the bathroom surfaces than the dining room table   :
Thanks for participating!

Now, back to letting them go where ever they want again!!  :evillaugh:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 00:23:52 AM »
Sorry, but I use my orchid mister on the cats if they try to get on the dining room table (good luck cats since last week when BF sold his house and you can't SEE the table for stuff), the kittens seem to have taken a leaf out of Trouble and Emo's book and don't go on my kitchen worktops.

I know they go on the window ledge though as I have some 'collections' on it and I regularly come down to carved stone hannimules on the floor and the pewter ones knocked over, I did get cross when a diplodicus (sic?) got his head knocked off though! It has been on the coffee table for about 4 months waiting for BF to mend it. I could do it myself, but who keeps a dog............................ :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 21:25:12 PM »
Robbie doesn't go anywhere on the units or table whilst I am in the room. I know for a fact that he does go on them when I'm not present so even if you think they don't go there, they probably do!

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 20:51:59 PM »
The comments are so interesting and so funny  :rofl:

My thought was that we wouldn't let the cats on anywhere that there was to be food or drink. Quite simple one would have thought, well quite simple if you're a naive hooman.

Well the McKitties have been here 10 days and so far they have been leaping from coffee table to side table to dining table with gay abandon and not even a sideward glance.

I suppose that's us told!  :innocent:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 17:04:55 PM »
Susanne, I remember Mosi telling the other cats about his new table, from what I heard he was very taken with it!

He still is!  Funny how they just take to something isn't it?  I never planned on not allowing him on it, but didn't anticipate him loving it quite so much.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 14:05:18 PM »
Susanne, I remember Mosi telling the other cats about his new table, from what I heard he was very taken with it!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 13:16:28 PM »
My bridge babies were allowed everywhere except the kitchen work surface which we used for prepping food, and the dining room table when in use for food eating.   They had their own surface in the kitchen to sit on where they were fed, as we had dogs who would scoff their food otherwise.  Their work surface was on the opposite side of the room from the prep side, so they could sit and watch us cook which was a much loved occupation for Chloe at least.  We've had more cats but it was so long ago I cant remember.

It worked most of the time, once Splodge ate half a large Turkey when it was still frozen, but she was fine.  Chloe used a Turkey china plate for a bed, but then it was put on her surface so she was quiet within her rights.  I suspect she thought it was a box of some sort. :rofl:

Both ladies lived into their mid 20s, so the rules worked well for us.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
The cats aren't allowed in the dining room or kitchen and can only go in the bathroom if I'm in there. Luckily we have a big house and they have free reign everywhere else including 2 bedrooms, lounge and big attic.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »
I  bought a coffee table a couple of years ago and Mosi immediately decided it was his.  He lay on it, he sat on it, he played on it, he jumped on and off it, he used it as part of his steeplechase course  :shify: and it quite simply became his.  I swear he thought it was his christmas present that year.  He very kindly allows me to put a cup on there now and again and even tolerates a few magazines but if they get too  many he will just push them off.  It very clearly belongs to him so it's not a case of whether he's allowed on there but will he allow me to use it.  I think he's had more pleasure from it than any of his cat toys or cat trees  :rofl:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 19:08:27 PM »
Coffee tables/side tables/all furniture = cats’ world view of shortest means from A to B
Window cills and ledges = cat seats for viewing what’s goin’ on
Dining table = where one of them sometimes chooses to dine (which is more than I do)
Kitchen work surfaces/hob = route for one of them to get onto wall cabinets except when I’m actually cooking
Bathroom surfaces = except when I’m having a bath or shower

What can I say :-[ I get through a lot of surface cleaner and kitchen paper :-:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 18:01:36 PM »
 A few more days to help in my survey!!!  ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 15:23:43 PM »
We have never eaten off the dining table in the 6 months we have had it! I use a lap tray which is in the cupboard when not in use.

They just arent allowed on the kitchen bench, or the windowsill in the kitchen as they would have to access the bench first to get to it. They all know they aren't allowed up there. Dexter sometimes mooches about for food on there, and even just an 'EEERRM!' or hearing us get up he will jump down as he knows its wrong.

They didn't used to be allowed behind the TV either, but since we got new kit and rearranged furniture its not a problem.

Whenever the kittens went somewhere I didnt want them to go I would say NO! and remove them. Seems to have worked for them
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 14:49:32 PM »
We keep the kitchen door shut when we are not in there and I keep Alfie off the surfaces if I am cooking (which is as rare as hens' teeth!) as I am worried about him trying to walk across the hob when it is in use. Cleo never tries to get up onto the work surface - but that is due to not being able to jump that high, not because she is in any way 'trained'!

We try to keep them off the dining table completely but, in reality, we are not there often enough to be consistent about that.

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
My three boys weren't 'allowed' on the coffee table or the kitchen worktops.

However....Jake periodically used the coffee table as a shortcut to our laps.

Rocky could not be stopped from using the kitchen worktop as a launchpad onto the top of my fridge, we tried everything. He also especially enjoyed rolling on worktops after I'd cleaned them :tired:

Bailey rarely went anywhere other than our laps and was very well behaved.

Thanksfully, none of them ever went on top of the dining table.

The monsters climb on everything. EVERYTHING! I spend half my life cleaning. I'm telling myself they'll grow out of it, but I fear they're going to be complete hooligans for life   :rofl:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »

Try keeping the Hoolies off anything  :rofl:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »
This is really only Lupin as Misa can't get up onto things any more and Sasa doesn't. I think she may still go up on working top to look out the window and have some of Lupins biscuits!

He likes to go anywhere he wants but only allowed! at one end of worktop in kitchen but as I have seen him on top of the cupboards....................

He wanders the kitchen table but don't eat there hardly ever and only places he is banned from is cooker and top of TV and other places where things would get broken.........he has already broken most of these things.........sigh

What he does when I am not around is only known to him lol

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »
I like to think they don't go on the kitchen surfaces but well you know!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
Jeeeeeez, if I water sprayed me laddo I'd be off his Christmas card list for sure.   :-: :-: 

Nope, can't see meself doing that somehow.  Thankfully, I don't encourage visitors, and me and the hubby are devoted cat slaves, so no real concerns abut them taking over the house.   :evillaugh:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
When I had a cat when I was young, my mum had a water spray that she used from very early on. The cat was never on the kitchen work tops. So training of these stubborn, contrary beasts is possible?  :evillaugh:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:22 AM »
 :evillaugh:  That thought crossed my mind too.

The only place I don't allow the cats to use is the kitchen worktops because, whilst they're easily wiped down with weak bleach solution, I have one of those stove tops that stays hot for ages, and you cant close the lid whilst the rings are hot.

Moray has a habit of trying to watch and "help" me cook (he has hidden talents in the culinary department and he's a lot better company than Nigella in the kitchen, I can tell ya!  ;)) but I have to ask him to get down, because I worry he'll walk across the ceramic hob.  And the girls - well it's only a matter of time until they emulate him. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »
Allowed?  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
Where cats can tread.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:01:08 AM »
I don't know if I've done this poll right but I'll give it a go and we can always change it.

Recently my OH and I have been having some 'discussion' about where our cats will be allowed to tread in the house. As Archie and Bonnie have started launching from the sofa to the coffee table I suggested we talked about some boundaries. Thinking that the cats will eventually be much bigger, potentially have been out in the garden and the fact we serve tea and cake there (gosh that sounded very formal, doylies required? ) maybe we should discourage them from being on there, further discussion ensued. Not that we're house proud by any manner or means, but what do the crazy cat people out there do?

Can you help by ticking all relevant boxes to you please? Thank you. (If this works)

If there's no place to comment maybe you could put them on my Katie's Quest page.

Link to CatChat