Author Topic: Smokie has had her babies!!  (Read 18859 times)

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
Re: Smokie has had her babies!!
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2007, 13:04:41 PM »
Poor little ones! I hope they come through it ok.
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2007, 10:44:43 AM »
Keeping everything crossed for these little ones  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
Sending hugs and kisses to you, Smokie and all the babies  :hug: :blow kiss:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2007, 07:57:03 AM »
Aww, will keep my fingers crossed for them Dawn.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2007, 00:05:07 AM »
Smokie's babies have been back to see Uncle Sean this morning and sadly he thinks 4 of them may end up blind or as good as, 2 of them have one good eye each  :'(  She lost one kitten last week, I was expecting it as she was so tiny bless her but all the others are doing really well.  They are playing and eating now but things could still go wrong.  Sean said this morning, if we manage to get these to pull through and they are rehomed, to make sure they go in pairs as they will need a lot of support and they will get this off each other, as well as off their new "slaves".  I think on the whole, he is pleased with them but it's still a case of wait and see.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2007, 20:12:54 PM »
Her last two kittens are so healthy and I think that someone could have got her spayed when she was pregnant with them and then they wouldn't exist, which does not seem right.

This is how I always think but this way of thinking has put all these kittens in jeopardy and I think in hindsight, I wished I'd let my head do the thinking instead of letting my heart take over  :( 

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2007, 19:49:19 PM »
 :hug:
We make the decisions we make for valid reasons at the time, sometimes things just go wrong.  Dawn, you couldn't possibly have known the outcome so don't be too hard on yourself.
I'm still keeping everything crossed.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
I hope these little ones pull through Dawn, you're giving them the best care.  I'm going through exactly the same decision now with the second mum from Liverpool.  Took her to the Vet yesterday and he cannot say for definite if she is pregnant or not.  I have booked her in for spaying Friday week, but I feel so guilty if she is pregnant that I am killing little babes and I look at Milly and her six and think I could be killing six more that could be just like them.

I am going to take her to the Vet again next Thursday to see if they can be any more precise on whether she is pregnant or not and then take it from there.  Her last two kittens are so healthy and I think that someone could have got her spayed when she was pregnant with them and then they wouldn't exist, which does not seem right.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »
These little ones have been back in the vets this morning for a check up.  Sean thinks a couple of them will be completely blind and possibly the others blind in one eye......it's a case of wait and see.  He said not to make any future plans for them at the moment just in case they don't survive  :'(  At the moment, they are bouncy and healthy but because the infection was contained and their eyes were closed, it's possible that it can still turn into a meningitus type thing and go onto their brain, fingers crossed this won't happen as they are still on treatment and he said to continue treatment for the time being.  They are due to go back in next Tuesday for a check up and maybe he can decide then, who is going to need what doing. He said if peeps got their cats vaccinated, this could possibly have been avoided  :(  I am also on a bit of a guilt trip, if I'd have had her done when I got her in even though she was pregnant, this could also have been avoided and the kittens wouldn't be facing an uncertain future  :'(

I don't agree with aborting but with all the illness etc that these ferals carry, I think I have learnt my lesson and even though I hate to say it, I've moved round to Sean's way of thinking and pregnant or not, I now think they should be done  :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 16:16:06 PM »
Not sure what the outcome is going to be for these little babes.........there looks to be a very slight improvement but only one kitten has one good eye  :'(  I'm a little concerned as there is no infection or gunk coming out, this would tell me that the damage has already been done, at least if there was infection there, there would be a chance of healing but I'm not a vet, so I don't know but that's how I would view it.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2007, 14:14:49 PM »
Aw, hope their eyes get sorted soon .....

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »
Their eyes are really weird looking......and they seem quite far in as well but Sean said hopefully some eyes may be okay but we'll have to wait and see.  He wants to see them all again next week and he can judge it better then after some treatment.
From what I remember our kittens' eyes looked cloudy and white and sort of sunken and dimpled. Main thing is you've got them treatment straight away so they will have the best chance to fight back.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2007, 07:50:01 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed for them all. At least this is her last litter, so if she is carrying something, no more babies will have to suffer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2007, 23:41:52 PM »
Lets hope their eyes will sort themselves out and they will be :boxer: fit in no time  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2007, 23:00:33 PM »
Is Chris going to take them regardless of health problems? (hope so  :Luv: )

I would think so, the kittens he has are Smokies anyway and will be indoor babes so it shouldn't be a problem, I'll try and speak to him tomorrow.  Also, when she goes in to be spayed, she can be blood tested to make sure nothing is showing up.  In themselves, they seem healthy.......whatever it is is something that Smokie has been carrying whilst pregnant but she isn't showing any signs of anything.  I suppose it could also be down to inbreeding as well, she's had a few litters apparently but most usually die as she was leaving them all over the yard.  I thought maybe she was just a bad mum but maybe they had something wrong with them as well......it's hard to say, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 23:01:30 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 22:54:50 PM »

Years ago we had some feral kittens with a very similar sounding condition - they all came through absolutely fine.  Fingers crossed for them.

That's good to hear, I know one has definitely lost her eye as it's perforated :(    Their eyes are really weird looking......and they seem quite far in as well but Sean said hopefully some eyes may be okay but we'll have to wait and see.  He wants to see them all again next week and he can judge it better then after some treatment.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2007, 22:53:51 PM »
Is Chris going to take them regardless of health problems? (hope so  :Luv: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 22:23:25 PM »
Aw, poor little poppets  :hug:.

Years ago we had some feral kittens with a very similar sounding condition - they all came through absolutely fine.  Fingers crossed for them.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 21:25:02 PM »
How sad, lets hope its not too bad  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 19:34:22 PM »
They'll be 3 weeks old on Monday.......usually they open their eyes at about 10 days but these were late opening them.   

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 19:28:47 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this :'(

Are they 3 weeks already?  Blimey time flies lol  Kittens open their eyes right at 3 weeks or am I wrong? :tired:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 19:00:33 PM »
Just had to take Smokie's kittens to the vets, they are fine in themselves but have opened their eyes in the last couple of days and all eyes are bad  :'(  No gunk or anything, but some are just red, some you can't really see properly, and one kittens eye has ruptured  :'(  Sean has said this would have happened in the womb and it's something Smokie has passed onto them via the placenta.........not sure what the outcome will be but chances are some will lose their eyes  :'(  In times like this, I wish I had listened to him and just got her spayed whilst I had the chance and all this could have been avoided  :(  He's given them all an antibiotic jab and some drops to go in their eyes, not sure what good it will do but it possible some may be alright.  He said now their eyes are open, chances are all the gunk and crap will appear so at least we have a slight chances of sorting them but the one with the ruptured eye will probably lose that one.

Offline Chriswade

• Kitten
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 17:51:45 PM »
We have now decided to build them 2 Wings,  don't know where the hot tub will go tho  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 15:23:26 PM »
Only a wing?? I dont think thats enough!

Offline Chriswade

• Kitten
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 17:58:22 PM »
Hi All

Yes 4 is a good amount, we cud'nt leave one out since they all get homed in pairs.  We have applied for re-mortgage so that we can have a wing for all the cutties ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:09:39 PM by Chriswade »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 16:18:14 PM »
Thats great Dawn!

Chris if your out there, 4 is a good amount  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 15:33:09 PM »
Had a phone call earlier on and one lucky baby will be joining his/her mummy and the other 2 siblings when he/she is weaned and ready to go...........Chris is definitely going to have his hands full but I'm sure he'll have lots of fun coping with his brood  ;D  He has now decided he's going to throw away my phone number so he doesn't get tempted to put an order in for more  :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 15:00:37 PM »
 :rofl: Awww, I'd love to take one. Can you have a chat to a senile 16 year old cat and get her to OK it? I think out of my four she's the one that would dislike a shorty running around!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 23:18:23 PM »
Awww, Dawn, are you trying to make us all kitten broody?! ;D

Yes I am, cos I needs some homes lining up  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 23:09:44 PM »
Awww, Dawn, are you trying to make us all kitten broody?! ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 20:26:10 PM »
Gorgeous  ;D ;D ;D

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: awwwwwwwww
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
Aww, bless them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 23:19:29 PM »
and one more  :Luv:  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Smokie has had her babies!! More Piccies!!!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 23:18:47 PM »
Smokie has still got all 7 babies with her and she's doing really well  :Luv:  :Luv:  All the kittens seem to be thriving really well so up to now, good news. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
I tried Katie with 3 last night and all she kept do was washing their bums  :sigh:  She attempted to roll over a couple of times but because the kittens didn't try to latch on, she got fed up.  I tried her again earlier and she's still the same, I'm going to attempt it a couple more times, if not, I'll have to rule it out and just hope Smokie is up to rearing them.  If the kittens are not all growing at the same rate, I'll give top up feeds and hopefully that will give Smokie a bit of a break.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 20:13:47 PM »
Bless them all!  They look so velvety - I keep looking at that tiny white paw in the first pic and nearly dying from kitten love  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 16:04:46 PM »
I bet Sooty isn't a floozy though Trace  :evillaugh:

Smokie and babes are all doing fine, I'm going to try Katie with 3 later, they can then go back on mum for a bit and then back to Katie and see how it goes.  The collostrum is usually the first 24 hours but some can still get through afterwards so ideally I want them on the milk before I transfer them over.........Katie will be over the moon, she is such a little darling and soooooo loveable with kittens  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Tracey

• Adult Cat
    • KatMaid
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 16:01:30 PM »
Smokie is the spit of my Sooty!!!!  :Luv:

7 more little darlings.... :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Well done Smokie...and Dawn .lol
KatMaid..Staffordshire cat sitter
www.katmaid.co.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 15:55:23 PM »
You've got to call one of them kitties Bandit!  :evillaugh:

Definitely......all we need to decide now is who the lucky kitten is  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat