Author Topic: Smokie has had her babies!!  (Read 18858 times)

Offline Chriswade

• Kitten
Re: Smokie has had her babies!!
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
Poor liitle kitties, glad that smokie and Emily are doing well tho  8)  Smokie will be looked after by her two siblings soon, I just hope she  does'nt want to play at 4am every morning like Oscar   :yesss:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:18:42 PM by Chriswade »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2007, 23:09:12 PM »
I am totally in love with this little lady.....she just has that special something  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2007, 23:06:06 PM »
RIP little babes  :(

Glad Emily & mum are fine though  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2007, 08:50:11 AM »
RIP babies, play hard on the Bridge little ones.  Emily sounds adorable, glad she's continuing to go from strength to strength.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »
Aww Dawn that's awful :'( Poor babies will be happy and pain-free now though and playing all day :hug:

Emily is a gorgeous and a little fighter :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2007, 08:11:40 AM »
Aww, RIP other babies.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2007, 20:14:48 PM »
Aww bless her   :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2007, 17:30:15 PM »
Sadly, Emily is only surviving baby now.....I had to have the other little one pts last week, I expected it to happen but still very sad all the same  :'(  :'(  Emily is doing really well, in fact she is a total pain but I love seeing her loving life and causing bedlam with all the other kittens  :Luv:  :Luv:  She bites anything that gets in her path, playfully of course but she doesn't care if it's a nose, an ear or a foot.......all kitties cross her path at their own peril  :evillaugh:  She has no fear where the cats are concerned and nothing seems to stop her.....she is a wonderful little girl, and I know at times I'd wished I'd had Smokie spayed so I could have avoided all the heartache with the other little ones, but then I think of the gorgeous Emily who really is a survivor against the odds  :Luv:  :Luv:  And the good news is, she's gaining weight as well  ;D  Here's a couple of piccies of the little minx and of the gorgeous Smokie  :Luv:  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »
It could be a number of things.  Smokie came from the scrapyard and has continually had kittens over the last 2 years so possibly inbreeding comes into it along the way as well.  As soon as the kittens opened their eyes, it was obvious there was a problem with them.  Because there was no infection beforehand, the damage has been done in the womb and passed onto the kittens via the placenta, possibly a virus or something that Smokie had or could possibly have been something to do with something in the scrapyard, we just don't know.  Whatever it is has made them virtually blind and there is still a chance they will not make it.  Smokies had blood tests done and she's all clear, so sadly we'll never know what's actually caused it.  The main thing is, they remain healthy and get stronger and Smokie is spayed so no more babes have to go through what these have.

• Super Cat
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »
It is a strange shape..

What is it that caused it do they know? And is it infectious at all? Sorry for all these questions, she's just an absolutely adorable babe  :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Their eyes are always going to be a problem, I'm still using eye drops in them but they may be at their best now.    If you look at Emily's right eye as you're looking at the pic, you will see the pupil is a weird shape as well..........not sure what's caused that but will ask Sean.  I've got 2 in for spaying this morning, so if he's doing surgery later when I pick them up, I'll pop them along for a checkup and see what he says.

• Super Cat
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
She scrambles up my legs and ends up near my face and has started biting my nose  :evillaugh:  She comical and seems a determined little madam  :Luv:  :Luv:

:rofl:

That's good news about Smokie :)

What do they say about the kittens eyes? Is it something that will clear up eventually or will it be a life-long problem? She looks like a little star :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
I had a little chat with Sean this morning about them and basically he said to stop them feeding off mum as soon as I can.  I'm a little loathed to do this but he said she may be also transferring something in her milk to them and as long as they're eating, they should be okay  :scared:  He'll check them over anyway but that's what he's suggested.  They are both eating on their own and they also have the Royal Canin kitten milk which is full of nutrients.  So Smokie will be spayed asap.........well once kittens have been checked, and milk dried etc then she can go off to her new "slaves".

Yes Sarah, she's all black and I think she's going to be a proper bundle of mischief  :Luv:  :Luv:  She scrambles up my legs and ends up near my face and has started biting my nose  :evillaugh:  She comical and seems a determined little madam  :Luv:  :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:07 AM »
Emily suits her :Luv: Is she all black Dawn?

Hope the little ones pull through  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
A lovely name for a lovely girl  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »
"Good luck" Emily at the vets......she's beautiful  :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »
Aww what a little sweetie Dawn, have you named any of them?

I've christened this little one Emily  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
Aw bless, she's a real cutie  :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2007, 08:18:18 AM »
Aww what a little sweetie Dawn, have you named any of them?

She's tiny <3

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2007, 02:36:30 AM »
Here's a piccie of one of Smokies gorgeous babies  :Luv:  Her eyes look bad but she's coping really well and is a bundle of mischief at the moment.  She can definitely see although I think alot of it is shadows, she does dive onto my hands though when playing so may be able to see more.  I'll get a piccie of the other one tomorrow  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2007, 09:33:54 AM »
Poor Smokie, Dawn you did all you could and We are sure that you gave them a good life wihilst it lasted.  Charlie and Oscar are fine really growing fast and causing mayhem.  They now think they are Guinea Pigs and steal their Cabbage.  Give our love to Smokie and we will hopefully be her slaves soon :Crazy:

Awww I'm really pleased to hear they're both doing okay  :Luv:  :Luv:  The kittens will be going in to see Uncle Sean over the next few days and he can tell me when they'll be ready to leave mum.  I know if I take them away now, they will die without support so I would be loathed to do so.  As soon as Smokie has done her job, and she has been spayed, I will be in touch  ;D  Thanks for waiting so patiently for her Chris but I'm sure you'll love her just as much as you do Oscar and Charlie  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:43 AM »
>Chriswade.....Yay good on you for giving this lady a home  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2007, 08:05:51 AM »
So sorry to hear about more losses, RIP little ones. Glad Smokie has a good home to go to when her babies are finally able to leave her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Chriswade

• Kitten
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »
Yes we are the chosen ones - we just need to let her get threw this ordeal first and then hopefully she will be coming to play with her sibblings from a previous relationship  8)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2007, 07:29:07 AM »
>Chriswade....might you be adopting Smokie?

Offline Chriswade

• Kitten
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2007, 07:26:35 AM »
Poor Smokie, Dawn you did all you could and We are sure that you gave them a good life wihilst it lasted.  Charlie and Oscar are fine really growing fast and causing mayhem.  They now think they are Guinea Pigs and steal their Cabbage.  Give our love to Smokie and we will hopefully be her slaves soon :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2007, 00:09:41 AM »
OMG! RIP 5 baby kitties  :(

Do hope the others manage to be just fine..... :hug:

>Smokie & yourself  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2007, 23:08:45 PM »
They're walking fine and manage to scramble up my leg and onto the settee  :Luv:  I'll take some piccies tomorrow of them, and I'll try and put them next to another to show the differerence in size.

• Super Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2007, 20:19:34 PM »
 :-[ That would make them about 340g at 8 weeks old, the kittens I'm babysitting just now, they are 2 weeks on Thursday.. The biggest one weighs 280g!!

Poor babies Dawn, that is so sad, they must still be tiny. How are they walking etc?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2007, 20:06:50 PM »
Fingers crossed fot her 2 remaining babies, how old are they now?

:Crazy:  :Crazy:  Just checked and they are 8 weeks old today.  In the perfect world, they would now be ready to leave mum but they are wayyyyy too small, so she'll have to be stuck with them a bit longer and I'll have a chat with Sean to see what he recommends  :sigh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2007, 20:03:04 PM »
The most upsetting thing is she's tried to be such a good mum to them but sadly all in vain  :'(  Alarm bells rang for these as soon as they opened their eyes but they did seem lively for a few weeks.  I also worry when they are sooo small, this is also an indication that something isn't quite right, the others just seemed to go down very quickly and they were on antibiotics at the time as well.  Maybe if they'd have been bigger, their outcome would have been better but who knows  :sad no:

I'll have to check on their age Sarah, but I think they're about 6 weeks now......I'll look it up later.

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2007, 19:59:48 PM »
Such a shame Dawn, RIP little kitty's  :(

I'm glad that Smokie tested neg though, at least she will have a good quality of life from now :)

Fingers crossed fot her 2 remaining babies, how old are they now?

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2007, 19:58:29 PM »
RIP kittens.

It's so sad when the pass away, hopefully the last two will live to be big strong cats.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2007, 19:36:54 PM »
Quick update on Smokie's babes, sadly it's not a very good one  :sad no:  Smokie is now down to two babies, both seem to be doing really well and seem happy and playful.  They are both tiny and I weighed one the other day and it was 0.34 kg  :Crazy:  Her losing 5 out of the 7 was pretty upsetting but Sean did say not to make plans for them, although they were doing well, he still didn't think their outcome was good so if these 2 survive it will be a bonus.  Smokie's been blood tested today as I was a little concerned as to if she was carrying something, but I'm glad to say she's FIV/FeLV negative and her bloods are spot on as well  :)  The fact she's had continual litters wouldn't have helped this last litter.......they tend to be weaker, the more litters they have and thankfully, this will be her last one now.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
I don't cope, I just get Lainey down for the week to entertain them all  :evillaugh:  The gingers are the most energetic but the little one's are pretty nippy on their feet  :rofl:  Trying to round them up is hilarious as you get one in and two come out, and it goes on and on  :Crazy:

I'm glad Milly and Tia are both doing well, and I look forward to piccies of their broods but don't worry if you don't get time, I know exactly what it's like  :tired:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »
I don't know how you cope!  Run ragged is not the word. :rofl:  I keep saying I will put piccies of them on but I never have time to do anything :Crazy:

Millly with the six babies is fine and they are all getting to the crawling stage now so another week and they will be everywhere :rofl:

Tia with the two babies is okay.  I did not get her done as the Vet thought on second visit she was probably further gone than we originally thought, so she is now trying to find somewhere to nest and it is always somewhere completely impractical and wherever she wants to go so do her two babies which is driving her and me mad. :rofl:

I promise I will try to get some piccies tonight and start a thread so you can watch their progress.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
I'm going to try and get some piccies of them today if I can find my camera batteries  :censored:

How's your mum and babies getting on Lesley?  I hope they're doing okay and running you ragged  :evillaugh:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
I was only thinking of them this morning and I am so pleased they seem to be doing well. :grouphug:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
So pleased they're all coming on so well  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 00:15:32 AM »
Smokie's babies are all still doing really well  :Luv:  :Luv:  They are a real handful and can run for England  :rofl:  I open the cage door and there's a mad dash for freedom and trying to catch the little monkies is a chore in itself  ;)  They are all eating and extremely lively so I'm not overly worried about them going downhill.  I know it's early days but they are all showing positive signs and have been charging round the lounge tonight, one of the little black/white ones has a thing for catnip and was rolling round ecstatically on a little catnip mouse that Lainey brought over for them  :cat laugh:  They are all utterly gorgeous and blind or not, they seem to be very happy and I'm sure they'll cope really well  :Luv:  :Luv:

Link to CatChat