Author Topic: About to take on a rescue cat and need advice  (Read 6933 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: About to take on a rescue cat and need advice
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 19:48:00 PM »
I second the idea of two cats. I love my two they are brother and sister. I think they are the most contented cats I've ever had and sure some of that is because they have each other for company. It also means you don't have to worry when you are out, as they have companionship.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 13:15:30 PM »
Nicolealex, have you thought about adopting a pair? Often pairs are harder to rehome because some people - because of space/finances, etc - can only take one cat.

Also, if you and your partner are out at work all day, they would be company for each other.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
Nicole and I are talking off-forum but Theo isn't for them. The search is still on!  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 15:04:37 PM »
Sheila will contact you I'm sure Nicole, she works full time (and some!) as well as running the rescue so doesn't get on here as often as she would like - good luck with the hunt

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
Yes do please send a picture.  THanks, Nicole

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 15:54:15 PM »
Here is a local selection for you, our Cats Protection rehoming centre in Mitchum also supports the local branches so have details of all the cats available in SW London, and you can visit the centre and meet the cats. It s a nice afternoon out, the facilities are purpose built and very 21st century so makes viewing a very personal experience.

http://www.cats.org.uk/adopt-a-cat?pc=sw194ue&lca=0&ldo=0&lch=0&lma=0&lin=0

I have a cat here who is 10 (ish) and does need a new home as although he's been with us for 6 years he is really unhappy with the whole rescue dynamic here. He's just had his teeth sorted with a ful dental and 2 extractions. He has been involved in an RTA in the distant past so has pins in his back right leg, but he is fully mobile and a very sweet boy who just needs to find a home he's comfortable in (where he gets all the love on offer!).
He's black and white, handsome DSH with magnificent whiskers. Clean, non-aggressive, chipped, neutered, friendly but independent. Let me know if you want pics.

His name is Theo. CP terms apply re home checks and donations, please.

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 13:51:15 PM »
Thanks for all your advice Sheila Rose.  We're in SW London, and looking for a 10+ (ish) cat, which will be okay with us at work during the day.  Not fussy about what type but preferably not long haired all over due to allergies.  We've bought a cat mate programmable flap which is hopefully fit for purpose.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 21:52:59 PM »
Hi Nicole

I actually help to run a London based cat rescue so I can help with any concerns you may have and even possibly help find the perfect cat for your situation? I don't know if you already have a cat or specific rescue in mind, but do let me know if I can help.

Sometimes even older cats like to roam so you will want to keep him or her in for a bit longer than would normally be recommended to make absolutely sure the cat is grounded at your home and when she goes out for the first few times pop her on a harness so she's with you when she see her first traffic and you can control her reaction to some extent.

There's a super bargain in our Auction on a microchip cat flap, if you're going to the trouble of installing one in a glass door you simply cant get better than Sureflap which you should find here 

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,46383.0.html

(what am I doing? I'm bidding on this!)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 16:23:25 PM »
All cat trees must be placed by windows.  Surely that's the law  :-:  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 14:01:59 PM »
My cat tree also infront of a window and Lupin watches outside and same from window sills up stairs  ;D

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 13:54:05 PM »
Thank you that's so helpful.  We are also ordering a new patio door with a special hole for the cat flap.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 13:35:44 PM »
http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/cats-and-poisonous-plants.html

With regards to food, I would just try to keep any 'human' food cat proofed and only feed cat food and treats. Saying that I often give little bits of meat to mine! I know garlic, onion and chocolate should be avoided.

If you are going to get a cat flap installed, they will probably say you need a new door/ doors for safety reasons. We got new patio doors so got a cat flap put in at the beginning of the year. Also, at the rescue I help out with one of the questions on the atmittance form is 'does the cat use a cat flap' It took us about a month to train ours to use it and it was a nightmare, but worth it in the end!

And yes, just see how confident your cat is when you get them home. Let him/ her explore at their own speed.

No doubt any bed you buy wont get used until you decide youre going to get rid of it!  :evillaugh: Radiator beds are always popular in my house tho. Our cat tree is in front of the front window. I think they like to see whats going on outside.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
Thanks all.  Is there a list of poisonous plants and foods for cats?  And is there a preferred place to put a cat tree?  We really are beginners so any advice would be helpful.  Nicole

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 00:38:38 AM »
Bear in mind that most people are allergic to dander (saliva on the fur) rather than the fur itself so short/long haired may not make any difference.  May be a good idea to have some petal cleanse in to help to begin with.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 21:04:41 PM »
Think that should be cat flap not cat flat lol  ;)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 21:00:56 PM »
You could just use a cardboard box with a blanket or fleece as a bed. My cats seem to prefer a box rather than the expensive beds.

If there are a lot of cats in your area a microchip cat flat is really worth while.

As someone else said keep to the same food that they are eating at the rescue and then you can gradually introduce them to other foods. It's better to give mostly wet food and a high meat content. An older cat might have already decided what food they like so you might find it difficult to change their diet.

I would start them off in one room with their bed, litter tray etc and gradually introduce them to the rest of the house. This will depend on how confident they are.

Toys and dreamies are really useful for getting them out and about and used to new people.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 15:11:26 PM »
No dont take a pic except for you!

Get the cat chipped asap and vet checked, vaccinated..........Flu only, an older cat will not need luekemia.

The cat may not want to go out so dont force it!

Depending on age the cat may still leave the garden!

Try to start with same food as its currently on.

2 litter trays to start with and use same litter also if possible.

I lived in London and only knew the cats LOL................think everyone knew my cat flap  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 14:33:31 PM »
if you do get a collar make sure it a breakaway type rather than with elastic , mine don't wear them but can't get out of the garden so don't need to - depends on what it is like in your area I know in London you very often don't know the people you live near let alone the cats!

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 14:31:33 PM »
Thanks, forgot to ask about a collar?  Should I also take a picture and let the local area know its our cat?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 14:29:00 PM »
sounds like you are pretty well prepared - you will need to keep the cat in for a few weeks when it first comes home and as you live near a busy road I'd keep it in at night - you can buy a bed although most cats will find somewhere they want to sleep and do it anyway!  your boyfriend might need some antihistamines initially although we have lots of allergic people who manage here

Offline Nicolealex

• Kitten
About to take on a rescue cat and need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 14:24:16 PM »
Hi, my partner and I live on a busy main road in a large house with a 50' garden in London.  We're getting a cat flap put in our French windows in preparation for getting an older (so it wont go to far i.e. road) rescue cat.  We plan to get the cat during the Christmas break so that we can help settle them in.  We've never had a cat before but our neighbours cat really likes us, and used to visit until we were told to ignore it.  We used to have rescue rabbits.  We are out at work all day.  Please could you advise on:-

What to do when we first get him/her home, I believe we need to leave in a small room for two days?
What is the healthiest food?
Do we need a cat bed.  Where should it go?
The cat flap is microchip with timer control.  Should we not allow the cat out after a certain time at night?  We often have a fox visiting.
My boyfriend is a bit allergic so we can only get a short haired one.
There seems to be so many which need homes that we're a bit overwhelmed but are happy with an older one as long as it doesn't need medical help as we are inexperienced.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, N

Link to CatChat