Author Topic: Advice required re rescue cat  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice required re rescue cat
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
good to hear she is getting better

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 06:53:21 AM »
Lovely update Lizzie.   :) Cats never cease to confound and amaze us (bit like husbands when you think about it  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 23:32:41 PM »
That is wonderful and love her tapping on the door  ;D

I used to have a cat that despite a catflap or door being open in summer would get up on the window sill and bang on the window  :evillaugh:

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 21:44:15 PM »
Just to say Poppy is doing so much better, I now only seem to get the odd whack around my ankles and I am now sure it is for attention rather than any aggression.

Poppy is getting more confident outside now and is expending more energy out there which I certainly thinks helps.

Had to laugh at hubby because I have been letting her outside gradually and leaving back door open in this wild, windy weather so she can get back into house without panicking etc. Unbeknown to me, when hubby is at home part of the day when I am at work, him and Poppy have their own wee procedure in that he just shuts the door when she outside and she is totally fine with that and she just comes to door when she ready to come back in and knocks on the glass door confidently when she ready to come back inside.  I had to see it to believe I but hubby totally right in that she is not perturbed at all and I now realise I am just an overfussing cat mommy, lol! She more or less lived on the streets before we got her so is quite streetwise. 

Thanks for all your kind comments, such good advice and very much appreciated.  :thanks:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
Could your husband try standing nearby with a fishing rod style toy and then as you walk past and she gets ready to go for your ankles he can try to distract her with the toy.  Alternatively you could have a toy in your hand and then as you walk past wave the toy to distract her from your ankles.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:45:51 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 18:02:00 PM »
How is Poppy doing?? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 23:40:17 PM »
So pleased it seems to have worked and she obviously loves you loads  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 21:36:12 PM »
Oh my poor Hobbes, what a terrible experience to go through, I am so sorry. Xx :hug:

WELL I have been taking all your advice and think I'm just being an over anxious granny!! Have 2 under fives staying over tonight and Poppy has been her usual brill self, she really loves young kids and so good with them (other than pinching their toys lol).

Gill, your advice is working, when I sense Poppy getting over excited and thinking about an ankle grab, I now bend down to stroke her and she more or less jumps into my arms for a cuddle so think it is an attention thing and she is just a bit bonkers like Sue's Evie (great name by the way)!

And I think she is perhaps a wee bit hyper just now on the steroids, as never happened before, but is being weaned of them this week.

Thanks to all for your lovely replies, so very helpful. X

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
  • Jem Vanston, Author of 'A Cat Called Dog'
  • Slave to: Honey and Bumble
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 15:35:44 PM »
A previous cat of ours (Hobbes - sadly killed by two Alsatians an awful neighbour used to let out on the street many years ago) used to do the same thing as a kitten. He grew out of it.

But your cat is 3. I suspect he'll go for feet with socks on them and no shoes. Maybe your husband wears trousers and shoes, and you don't, so he goes for you? If so my advice would be to start wearing shoes/slippers and trousers - and maybe thick socks just in case the claws hurt. I would never take a cat back to a shelter for this really.

Maybe get the cat a toy - catnip mice will wear out any cat. Then yours will be too exhausted to attack you!

One cat we have at the moment can claw our feet when we're sitting down. This means SHE HUNGRY! and must be fed immediately!

And then sometimes cats get the CRAZIES!  :Crazy:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 23:39:28 PM »
Yes, I am also old enough to remember the ads  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 19:47:02 PM »
I remember them lol

I think you are doing the right thing  ;D

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 18:25:16 PM »
Awe thanks for all your advice. I'm now thinking its an attention thing. Have just started letting her outside but she finding it a bit cold and windy just now. She even comes in when I call her!  Will buy a laser thing as think she would enjoy that. I cant say too much about how she ended up in rescue as dont want to bad mouth anyone but there was definitely a lack of care and attention involved. So she maybe is trying to make sure I dont leave her when she grabs me, bless!

She is a very intellegent cat so I'm hoping I can 'train' her out of it! Have caught her opening drawers and door handles, never seen a cat do thst before. And I love it when she eats and drinks with her paw like the white 'Arthur' cat, if anyone is as old as me and remembers the adverts from the 1970s lol.  Thanks again for all your advice. X  :thanks:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 16:51:51 PM »
I agree with Sue. My evie does it occasionally, but she is just bonkers  :Crazy:

I would try and engage her with regular play sessions to try and satisfy her hunting and pouncing. Is she allowed outside? If not, she probably has a lot more energy she needs to expend and is taking out on your legs  :naughty:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 15:35:36 PM »

She sounds lovely (except for the leg scratching).  I think this sounds like aggressive play rather than anything else.  Have you tried a distraction technique, such as a toy, kept on your person (ie a laser pointer pen would be good for this)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 15:29:37 PM »
The steroids can certainly affect behaviour in humans so I don't see why this wouldn't also apply to cats.

I do hope you find a workable solution, Poppy sounds adorable.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 14:01:48 PM »
I dont know about the post LOL

I think she is seeking more attention and in her little way she is trying to get you to sitdown and play  ;D

Definately persevere cis she has only been with you a very short time.

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 13:12:14 PM »
Thanks. She IS quite attention seeking and not an agressive cat at all so the attention thing may be something! Have recently bought her a tall scratching post, do u think there may be a connection in that she treats my leg like her post (which she is VERY attached to)??

Re a behaviourist, think I'll ask advice from the rescue and vet as she currently on steroids at the moment so possibly a connection there do you think?

I would be heatbroken if we had to return her to rescue as she really is a lovely cat otherwise. I am determined to persevere and appreciate all your advice!!

Ps Forgot to say she loves OH and most visitors, always happy to be on anyone's lap.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
I think that maybe she is scared you are going to leave so she is trying to stop you. Is she more bonded with you than your OH?

What Dawn says is right but in this case I would try walking past her very slowly and mabe giving her a stroke as you do.

If she tries to do this stop and give her attention and see what happens, that may be all she wants.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
that is a tricky one, I know it is recommended that you don't react so you don't reward the behaviour with attention but obviously that isn't really that easy to do - do you have insurance?  the vet might be able to recommend a behavourist

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
Advice required re rescue cat
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
Hi All

Looking for some advice on behavioural issue with rescue cat that I have had for 6 weeks.

Poppy is such a loving wee cat who has bonded well with us, love sitting on a lap, can stroke her all over, pick her up no problem and never get a scratch or a bite BUT she has one issue that I am struggling with and need your guidance.

Whenever I walk past Poppy, she seems to be so happy to see me but then always grabs my ankles with her paws with claws out and bites them. Does this only with me, never my husband.

Is getting me down so much as have visiting grandchildren and concerned she may start on them.

My dilemma is should I return her to the rescue or is there a chance this could ever stop?

In all other ways she is perfect but is now the case I cannot walk through my house or up or downstairs without this happening.

Have tried everything to stop it but is getting worse. She is 3 years old and a lovely wee thing, she seems to have a high prey drive and destroys most of her toys as plays very rough.

Please advise!!!

Link to CatChat