Author Topic: Little Tracking Device for my New Cat  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Little Tracking Device for my New Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 18:22:57 PM »
It sounds good  ;D ;D

What sort of range does it have?

Offline LarryYT

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 18:06:50 PM »

I don't see anything wrong in getting a tracker if you are going to let him out. He shouldn't be outside though if he hasn't been spayed or had his jabs or until he is a bit older  ;D

He is spayed now.  I ordered the little tracker, and it got here today.  It works well, and it doensn't bother my little my buddy at all (it is very tiny) so I definitely recommend it.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 16:57:25 PM »
The only thing that would put me off is the fact that a collar on any of my cats lasted about a week until they lost it (I am still amazed that you dont regularly see old collars lying around the streets!  :rofl: )

They seem a pretty good price, although I'm not good at currency conversion & dont know what P&P to the UK would be.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 16:23:07 PM »
My friend has locator devices on the collars of all 3 of her cats. The device makes a clicking noise when it is being searched for - the cats have learned to recognise this as 'Meowmy is going to give me dreamies if I go home now' so will often return of their own accord  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »
I don't think there's anything amiss with using a locatur collar if you fancy it.  I know one of our members,  Jackspratt used one on one of her boys, who liked to disappear for a few days at a time.  She was surprised at the extent to which he roamed.  Another friend of mine uses them on her two cats, but she is often thwarted when the boys return home, minus their collar and tracking device, but she's become very good at getting them back again.  She does however say that for owners of a nervous disposition, it isn't always helpful to know where your cat goes, because you end up worrying more.  The plus side of course is that generally you know where to look for them. 

Welcome to the forum Larry, and well done on adopting a feline friend to keep you company.  I don't think you'll regret it.  What's your lad's name, and what colour is he?  Where did you get him from, and what is his character like?  Go on - you can tell us - we love to learn all about our member's cats, and watch as relationships are formed and treasured.   ;D

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:30 AM »

I don't see anything wrong in getting a tracker if you are going to let him out. He shouldn't be outside though if he hasn't been spayed or had his jabs or until he is a bit older  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:15:57 AM »
Does your cat wearv a collar at present and is it a safter collar?

If the answer is yes then it shouldnt be a problem as long as the area is safe but you may finf you spend more time tracking the tracer with no cat  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

A chip is really necessary though!

Offline LarryYT

• Kitten
Little Tracking Device for my New Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 00:47:50 AM »
Hi all,
I have been lurking a while, and finally decided I was ready to get my first cat for myself. I finally decided to adopt an awesome 2 year old! I love him already, but he has shown the ability to be quite adventurous which has me a bit worried.
I am leaning towards getting one of these devices so I am not as paranoid  http://newsdailynow.com/2015/11/16/pet-tracking/   . That little device is about the size of quarter so it doesn't seem like it should bother him much. As a pet owner, I can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to use one.

Does anyone think wearing one will cause any problems?

-thanks in advance!

Link to CatChat