Author Topic: To Line or Not to Line?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: To Line or Not to Line?
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 18:21:47 PM »
I like oko but can't cope with the large sized pieces.  I've not used it for years but got some in for Kito when I brought him home as it's what he was used to and have to say I found it clumped very well and dealt with smells adequately too.  However Kito flings litter all over the place  :shify: and I can't cope with oko all over the carpet.  At least with the smaller grained WB I can squint and pretend they're not there  :rofl:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 07:05:23 AM »
Mark, Ingrid is clearly her Daddy's cat.   ;) :hug:

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:46 AM »
Hi Mark

Good to meet you.  ;D

You've probably gathered that I'm going to be a new cat owner soon.

I think life is never going to be the same again!  :scared:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 00:08:24 AM »
I used OKO for years, then I noticed it wasn't clumping very well. I even emailed Zooplus, who confirmed that the manufacturer had changed the formula. I have tried all kinds, but have been using Sanicat clumping gold for about 2 years and happy with it. I get 3 x 6L boxes from Zooplus for £12.99. In case of emergency, Tesco sell 5L boxes for £5.49 (oddly the boxes are smaller than the ones from Zooplus) - it was a sjame about OKO as during the winter, I just threw the dirty litter and poo into the wood burner. It wouldn't work for me now with Kylie's chronic diarrhea anyway. She has stopped covering - oddly, Ingrid goes around covering for other cats that haven't covered anything  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
Thank you once again for the gems of your experience.

I think I'm in for an interesting journey ahead!  :shocked:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 19:50:08 PM »
Looks like it's just me who uses liners!
Having said that, I don't use the ones sold as litter tray liners, but bin liners, which seem to be more sturdy. I tried the purpose made ones, but the cats shredded them, probably because the slightest breeze made the edges flutter, they were so thin, and the cats were attracted to the movement.

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 19:38:02 PM »
I did try liners with Winnie when she first arrived....woke up next day to plastic strips and cat litter over the floor lol....'nuff said :rofl:

Mweekie xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 19:09:47 PM »

Tried liners once, years ago, waste of money.

I get empty cardboard boxes from the shop or my neighbour brings me the cardboard packing off kitchen units and shred them with my confetti shredder. I put a couple of inches in the tray and sprinkle some wood pellets on top.
Works great and cheap too, £3.49 for a 15 litre bag of Snowflake litter every 8 weeks.
Also shred the cat food boxes. Can be put on compost heap if you have one

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 18:40:50 PM »
 :agree: Liners are pointless because they just get scratched up and as Sue has said, cats and kittens don't always agree with what your extensive research tells you is  the best litter.  :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 18:10:41 PM »
I tried liners but they just got scratched up and I don't see the point of spending more money than is necessary! We use the wood pellets and it does track a bit especially with Cleo's long fur (and furry feet).

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
Another vote for no liners - my experience is they're pretty pointless with all the digging and scratching cats do.

Re. litter, I use catsan non clumping.

I was cross eyed with the amount of litter research I did too before I got the monsters and the two you've mentioned were the ones I liked the look of too.

But then I read lots of stuff saying to only use non clumping with kittens - apparently if they lick it off their paws it can swell up and cause intestinal blockages

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »
Frances - me too.  :hug:  :evillaugh:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 11:05:22 AM »
Thank you my trusty advisors (and especially to Frances for taking the time to write her comprehensive novel!)

That's why I'm not on Twitter :innocent:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
Thank you my trusty advisors (and especially to Frances for taking the time to write her comprehensive novel!)

The verdict...........no liners for me!  ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Agree lining is pointless!

I tried it once and yes they just end up getting ripped to shreds!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
I'm a big oko fan and no I don't use liners

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:54:31 AM »
Never lined but I think I tried liners once and they just scratched holes in them.

I use worlds best cat litter

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
No point in lining really when cats like to scratch and dig.  We use catsan clumping and always been happy wit it but there are cheaper alternatives and cats will always confound us with their own preferences.  :evillaugh:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:33:45 AM »
I have used:

Thomas cat litter – mineral, non clumping, similar to Catsan but much cheaper.  My mum used this for years for her indoor cat and I used it when I needed to have a litter tray for my late boy Woody.

Sophisticat Beauticat – wood pellets, non clumping.  James and Christopher used this when they were in rescue and I continued with it.  Poop gets scooped and the pellets break down to sawdust as they absorb the wee; once it’s all sawdust, dump the lot (can go on compost heap if you have one) and start again.  30 litres used to last about 6 weeks.

Oko Cats Best – plant matter granules, clumping.  When Eleanor arrived she didn’t get on with the wood pellets (she’s missing a front leg and can’t dig to cover up).  Initially I got this just for her but the boys didn’t object to it so now I use it in all the trays.  Poop gets scooped and flushed, wee forms clumps for scooping which in theory can be flushed but I don’t.  You never “use up” all the litter – as long as it’s dry it’s usable, you just keep topping it up.  When I clean the litter trays I tip out all the loose litter, clean the trays, replace the original litter and top up if necessary.  40 litres lasts about 10 weeks.

I’ve never used tray liners – Christopher tries to dig to Australia so they’d be pretty pointless.  I now use covered trays with the doors taken off but have used open trays in the past – Eleanor had one when she first arrived but she was also sporting the cone of shame from her spay and couldn’t have got into a covered tray. 

I've never noticed a lot of difference in "odour control" between the wood pellets and Cats Best.  Both are pretty good but if anything is particularly stinky I use http://www.commandenvironmentalsolutions.com/epages/BT4547.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4547/Products/RX23

All litters track to some extent – it’s the joy of cats! – and hoovering is in the job description for slaves.

And you thought you were sad :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:11:41 AM »
I use wood pellets Smart Cat is my preferenve but out of stock anf my petshop cant get at moment so they got me..........................rushing off to look..................Pampurrs Pettex.

I think its as good as Smart Cat but only on second bag............30kgs!

They are not litters you can buy online or see in a shop, but they are ordered for me.

I dont like clumping litter and knew someone who used the wood pellets and lined the tray with newspaper, I stopped that when looking after her cats cos cant see the point cos they scratch it up anyway!

However dont like the pellets that are sold more commenly and have tried most I think cos they are not good odour killers and wet wood doesnt small nice to me.

Both these two have natural pine fragrance, not strong but just about there.

With my 3 I go thro almost a bag a week in winter especially if Misa and Sasa cant/dont want to go out.

Lupin is funny cos he wants to come in if he wants to use the tray then go out again  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 22:33:25 PM »
Out of interest Gill, what litter do you use? Do you use a tray or a box?

I have researched litter to death (I know I'm sad) I have read hundreds of reviews on online shops and forums and it seems these are the two favourites - Oko plus and Worlds Best

I'm sure everyone has their personal favourites for different reasons but I've just decided to go with one of those to start with. It apparently last for ages with little odour, clumps really well and if sifted well, flushes down the loo in small amounts. It tracks a bit (check me with the 'litter lingo') but I have a cordless Dyson so can scoot it all up without taking the big Hoover out.  ;D

Just wondered if most people put liners in first, I presume for making a total change easier.
I'm all for less work!  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 20:40:26 PM »
I dont use thatlitter but I dont line  ;D ;D

• Senior Cat
To Line or Not to Line?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 20:27:43 PM »
Litter boxes - do you need to line them or not? I'll be using Oko Plus car litter.

Probably more stupid newbie questions to follow....... :rofl:

Link to CatChat