Author Topic: Gingivitis/stomatitis in FIV cats - experience/discussion?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: Gingivitis/stomatitis in FIV cats - experience/discussion?
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 17:22:24 PM »
Hi Su. Sorry to hear about your cat. I have two cats with stomatitis. Neither have FIV. After a lot of research because you read a lot of different opinions, I decided to go for the teeth out option. No more problems since with one. But the other cat I had to see a different vet who just wanted to give anti biotics and pain killers because of her age. She was twelve at the time. After all the research I knew anti biotics only last short term, and steroids make the problem worse. The cat is actually allergic to its own teeth usually. So the best way is to take the lot out. In America they have all sorts of things including stem cell therapy. But of course, over here it is different. And the trouble is a lot of vets are not up to date on new research. They were taught to give anti biotics, then when they stop working go on to steroids. Cats can get diabetes after three months on steroids and it's difficult to then treat a diabetic cat for diabetes that is on steroids. After a struggle I got the vet to do a dental and take out bad teeth. But he refused to take out all the teeth. Well she was soon back at the vets with a horribly sore mouth. This went on every few months getting shorter and shorter between dentals and anti biotics. She got to sixteen and I worried about the anaesthetics at her age. Plus all the stress and the pain. Well I then changed practice and after a bit of a fight and insisting she had an x-ray afterwards to make sure all roots were out, I got all the teeth taken out. it's early days yet as that was only July. But a different cat now who isn't afraid of eating. I made sure she had a blood test first to check her kidneys etc. I did go down the alternative route for a while. But sadly none of it made any difference with her. But there are claims about turmeric and such like helping. What ever you decide to do. Good luck with it.
Julie.

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 23:16:54 PM »
Our boy Lewis is FIV+ and he too had gingivitis/stomatitis.  The vets recommended removing his teeth earlier this year and he had 16 out in one go.  He was sore for a few days and a bit depressed, but did not stop eating and once he had healed he is like a kitten again - bounding around and playing like a mad thing.  I think his teeth must have hurt him.  He is absolutely fine now and I am so glad he has had this done.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »
Sorry,just seen this.

Benji was FIV+ with severe stomatitis. He had 3 dentals in all throughout his life and they greatly improved his condition. It was then managed with interferon (not sure if this was much help) and an on and off schedule of metacam and monitoring. He needed steroids for skin condition towards the end of his life, but we managed to avoid them until then.
I have to say the dentals really helped, although surgery is risky we had blood tests done to check he was healthy enough and he was kept on a drip. We had regular check ups because of the on going metacam use, but it really helped manage his condition.

I hope that helps, will see if I can find Benji's thread, not sure I fully updated it at the end though.
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 19:17:14 PM »
Thanks Gill.

Filing teeth down - what??!!

I think I will try and track the old vet down, she's not too far away apparently. I don't quite know how long my cats gingivitis has been going on for - when he was found a year ago in Romania he had a large abcess in his mouth/throat which was drained but when I asked the girl who recsued him it wasn't clear whether he had ginigvitis then or not. From the photos and videos she sent me from before he came over here he was in much better condition than when I collected him from the rescue he'd been in for two months since his arrival in the UK - I could see straight away his mouth wasn't right but when I asked the woman she said his mouth was fine and he'd been seen by 3 vets and none of them had mentioned it. I'm still angry about this - it clearly wasn't fine and there was no way it could have been missed if he'd been looked after properly, not only was he drooling a lot he smells very strongly!!!I think the stress of a journey over here then being mixed with 60 odd other cats won't have helped him. (I still have grave concerns and have been wondering what I could do about it - the whole situation at that rescue).

Anyway - thanks for your advice xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 19:05:23 PM »
We had someone on here ages ago who had same problem but was seeing PDSA or some where similiar.

Yjey just want to file all the teeth down below gum which was truely awful decision.

She did have all teeth removed which was a beeter option and it definately helped but this had gone on for much longer than with your cat.

As long as teeth are fully removed that is probably the best option because I think its the only way of helping the stomitus...........thats the problem not the teeth if I recall correctly.

Is your old vet a long way away...............if not too far get a second opinion to feel safe.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 18:42:23 PM »
I should add - his teeth don't look to be in bad condition and aren't particularly 'plaquey' which I think is why my usual vet shied away from it - obviously this will make them harder to remove, although it's always difficult to tell until the cat is under anaesthetic and they can examine his teeth fully......

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Gingivitis/stomatitis in FIV cats - experience/discussion?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 18:40:09 PM »
Hi all, it's a while since I've been on here!

I have had FIV + cats for the last 16 years and after losing my 14 year old in March, a new friend came to live with us in April - he's approximately 6 and from Romania.

Despite being told by the rescue I got him from that he had no health issues, he has severe gingivitis/stomatitis. I fully expected my vets advice to be to remove his teeth, but two of the vets at the practice discussed it and advised against it as it is obviously a big procedure. I've had a cat previously who had the same issue, we removed his teeth, and he was massively better.

However, I followed the vets advice and he's on regular steroid injections, which isn't great, and we're having to return more and more frequently for injections (currently 3 weeks apart).

We saw a different vet this evening, who asked me if I'd considered having his teeth removed and basically said if he was her cat, she'd do it.

I've read lots about it on the internet and the section on this forum also points to teeth removal as one of the options (and probably best?) although there's no guarantee, apparently 60-80% of cats get some relief from this.

Other than his FIV status, the odd skin issue and a bit of snuffliness occasionally, he's in good health, and his last lot of bloods were normal.

I'm up for doing it, and wish I'd insisted it was done sooner! I can't help feeling a bit odd though, going against my usual vets advice........my old vet who was great left the practice last year and I'm pretty sure she would have recommended teeth removal - I've even considered going to see her at her new practice and getting a second opinion.

I think I have made my mind up, just wondered if anyone has any recent experience of this and any thoughts?? Always good to discuss it with other cat folk!

thanks

Su :)

Link to CatChat