Author Topic: Scented candles?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Scented candles?
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 13:44:27 PM »
Me too Sue, can't beat a bubble bath with candles. Might have one in about....oh...6 months? Monsters currently prevent such luxuries ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Scented candles?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 18:31:11 PM »
I do love my candles.  Scented or otherwise.   :)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 15:43:44 PM »
The clue is in the name eh?  Bit different from the usual names I go for like Sparkling Snow and Clean Linen. perhaps yanky candle should bring one out called "overpowering cat pee"  :rofl:

I did ask the vet about using them and she said it was fine and that the only concern is some cats are sensitive to scented stuff the same way as humans are. But if there's no sneezing or other signs, it's not a problem

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 23:32:29 PM »
I use scented candles (not at the moment around Kito) although I don't go for really pongy ones.

The best candle I ever had for general deodorising was one called Smelly Cat  :rofl: and it was sent to me from US but I've never found it over here.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 22:12:51 PM »
Like Gill, I also use wood pellets. Like Gill, I don't recommend the very cheap ones but I couldn't tell you what brands I do like! When it gets wet it gives off a gentle scent from the wood, it is quite pleasant. I scoop the solids into the loo and sieve the stuff that has been wetted into the bin.

Cleo's poo stank terribly when she first came to us. I read something that suggested the smell is worse in cats that can't/won't chew and she doesn't have many teeth. She has been far nicer to live with since I switched them both over to raw!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 19:41:14 PM »
I use wood pellets butb they have to be good ones, Smart Cat are the best but has been out of stock so now using one that is made by..............ummmmmmm am own brand but cant bremember will have to look.

It seems to be very good and I like the pine smell of these which is quite discreet.

Other brands not so good and dont like the smell of wet wood.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 18:25:04 PM »
I use wood shavings for mine. I get a huge bale that lasts ages, but you can get small bales from most pet shops if you want to try it out. It's the same stuff that's used as bedding for rabbits, hamsters, and so on. The only problem is that it travels a bit as it sticks to their feet, but on the plus side it's easy to see.
When the smell of pee overwhelms the scent of sawn wood, it's ready to be changed!

• Hero Cat
Scented candles?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 18:04:57 PM »
I've had a few people recommend that litter.
The problem is it's clumping litter & I've read that you shouldn't use clumping until they're about 3 months old.

Apparently if small kittens digest it, it swells up in their intestines?

I'll definitely be giving it a go once they're a bit bigger though

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 15:53:41 PM »
must say I don't think you can beat oko either for keeping smells at bay

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 15:45:07 PM »
I am o big fan of Oko plus. Its not cheap, but you dont have to empty the whole tray that often, just scoop out whats been soiled (even with the pee it clumps together.

It says flushable, but I only flushed it every other time - didn't want to risk it!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best/521706?gclid=CN33zdGC6MgCFQgGwwodvGEH1g
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 15:20:38 PM »
My vets actually sell some, but I can't remember the name of the maker! They are well priced too.

This reminded me that my vet does too!  :thanks: I've had a look online and found them.

The odd thing is....they seem to have the same ingredients that standard scented candles have, so I'm not sure what makes them more "pet friendly"   *confused*

Think I'll pop into my vets on route home & ask about them.

I might try some different litters too. We're cleaning the litter tray out daily just now but when the boys are left alone while we're at work the smell from the tray is really building up & lingering, maybe a better cat litter would minimise that

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 13:46:17 PM »
Go to aromair.co.uk. Their stuff is fine around animals. X
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 13:06:45 PM »
My vets actually sell some, but I can't remember the name of the maker! They are well priced too.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
I've already answered in the other thread, that scented candles are probably best avoided, but they could be used in a room after the cats have benn shut out, just to clear the air.
However, I'm going to have to look into this a little deeper, as I have one cat, Clio, who refuses to leave my bedroom, so I need to do something about the smell that builds up, however often you change litter.  :sick:
If I find anything useful, I'll let you know!

Thanks Dave, It’s quite frustrating being unable to find a straight forward answer as to whether they’re safe or not but I agree it’s best to err on the side of caution and not use them.

I’m at the vets tomorrow for the boys vacs so I’ll ask her too.

So far I’ve tried a couple of things but the only thing that really seems to shift the smell is my trusty yankee candles, so now I need an alternative  :-:

I’ve found something called ONA odour neutraliser. It comes in either block or gel form and gets great reviews. I got one on amazon to try so I’ll let you know if it works.

It did make me laugh when I googled for reviews though, as loads of hits came up from people who grow cannabis and use it to hide the smell!!! I’m using work internet in my lunch hour and may now get a call from HR!  :rofl:

Thanks for the other suggestions too

I wouldnt touch anything made by that company  >:(

I just dont think candles are safe around cats!

Fabreze sounds good although I hate the smell of most  tbh
I’ve only lit them for a short time and left them in a high place they can’t get near, but where I can see them. I definitely wouldn’t have a lit candle anywhere near them, doesn’t bear thinking about!

Is it Bob Martin you’re talking about Gill? Was there something with their products causing illness in pets???

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
I wouldnt touch anything made by that company  >:(

I just dont think candles are safe around cats!

Fabreze sounds good although I hate the smell of most  tbh

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:50 AM »
This might be useful too. Bob Martin Spring Fresh Pet & Home Spray. It's available in ASDA, so I expect most supermarkets will sell it.
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910001891687?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_-

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
There's a Febreze specifically for pets which might help. I'm going to look for some later today.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
I use a yankee candle plug in near my tray, it is only switched on when needed for 1/2 hour

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
I wanted to use essential oils in my house but couldn't find any info that was reliable about which essential oils were safe for the cats. 

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
I've already answered in the other thread, that scented candles are probably best avoided, but they could be used in a room after the cats have benn shut out, just to clear the air.
However, I'm going to have to look into this a little deeper, as I have one cat, Clio, who refuses to leave my bedroom, so I need to do something about the smell that builds up, however often you change litter.  :sick:
If I find anything useful, I'll let you know!

• Hero Cat
Scented candles?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »
I have two adorable kittens, but they are really making the house smell despite OCD cleaning!  :sick:

I’ve always used yankee candles and have been burning them to help with the smell.
I just wondered if anyone knows whether scented candles are safe to use around kittens?

I’ve done some google searching and there’s a lot of information saying the oils are dangerous to them but just as much from people saying they’ve used them around cats for years.  :-:

Should I avoid using them?  (may have to resort to clothes pegs on our noses and not answering the door to visitors)  :rofl:

Link to CatChat