Author Topic: The Big Outdoors (for a 5 month old)  (Read 5111 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: The Big Outdoors (for a 5 month old)
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 21:33:37 PM »
She is gorgeous but I would keep her in until after the winter - especially over halloween and the dreaded fireworks - if she gets spooked she might bolt and get herself lost x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Didi (Dory's Mom)

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dory
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 21:30:06 PM »

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 13:05:30 PM »
I watched that when it was on Sue. Unbelievable how far some of those cats wandered!! :Crazy:

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
I personally would wait until next spring when the days start getting longer again, but that's my opinion and you must do what you feel is right.  If she's enjoying supervised outings at the moment I would keep those going until she's a bit older and wiser.  The days are getting shorter now so she's more likely to be out in the dark or at dusk which is the most dangerous time for cats re cars.  You may live in a quiet location but cats will wander.  The combination of kitten head and darker mornings and nights is not the best.  But you know her best and must do what you feel is right for her.

This is what I am doing with Winnie. She's a housecat until next spring, when my family and I feel like she's ready to wander outside. She occasionally take her out on a harness and lead, but as the weather has started to become colder/wetter, it's best she stays inside for now.

Doesn't really help the fact that I have a 2 acre back garden, so cat proofing is impossible with a garden that size lol.

Mweekie xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »

You may or may ot have see this amazing programme, but their website has some very interesting information about a cat's roaming territory.  They often go way further than we think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »
I personally would wait until next spring when the days start getting longer again, but that's my opinion and you must do what you feel is right.  If she's enjoying supervised outings at the moment I would keep those going until she's a bit older and wiser.  The days are getting shorter now so she's more likely to be out in the dark or at dusk which is the most dangerous time for cats re cars.  You may live in a quiet location but cats will wander.  The combination of kitten head and darker mornings and nights is not the best.  But you know her best and must do what you feel is right for her.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 19:04:33 PM »
I wish people here would have proper gardens like that!

looks great Dawn  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 14:21:22 PM »
yes I admit I wouldn't be without it and the ability to do it was a factor in the house we got! 

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 14:04:39 PM »
So much better than closing off the garden completely.

And how great to be able to let them out without the worry  :wow:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 13:46:58 PM »
because the brackets have a bit of give in it the net wobbles, apparently cats prefer a firm footing and don't like it!  in truth I did have one who came in over the 9 years but that was all

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 13:34:44 PM »
So glad you put up that link Dawn.

The only cat proofing I've ever seen is the net over the whole garden which I really wouldn't want to do. But I'd definitely go for something like this (need to get a bigger garden first)

I'm confused though, how does it stop other cats coming in, couldn't they just climb the fence and over the wire?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »
ok so a bit like what is in the link, but I think mine looks nicer!  eventually plants will disguise most of it as in my old garden the roses etc covered it.

http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co.uk/catprooffencing.htm

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
I don't want mine leaving the garden so it basically involves having netting at right angle with the fence, I had it in my old house for about 9 years and just moved so had to start again I can't post pics as my phone doesn't have a camera (yes I know!!) and my real camera is still in a box somewhere but will find something similar on google

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
What exactly did you do to 'cat proof' your garden if I may ask?
I honestly can't thin of anything else I could possibly do to mine to make is safer.

On a side note, I lived with my sister 2 years ago and she rescued a little tabby, Babushka, who's mom was feral, so had a pretty feisty personality.
Babushka has always been a teeny tiny cat (probably the same size now as Dory is at 5 months old!).
We let her out when she was just over 6 months, obviously TERRIFIED not only because we love her, but because she is so teeny. The first couple of months she was only allowed out during the day and when we were home and in the garden with her, following that she was allowed out unsupervised, but only during the day, and then at about 10 months old we gave her free access. She still comes in at around 7pm every night for food then out of her own preference tucks into bed for the night!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:44:59 PM by Didi13 »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 12:35:50 PM »
true dave they are all very different - just in case anyone is interested we cat proofed our garden last week after moving house, cost around £250 for materials

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
 :welcome:
For what it's worth, even people who've gone through this several times, with no problems, still worry every time!
There's no "one size fits all" solution, unless you have a very large garden and the funds to cat-proof it, perhaps.
Circumstances, like living on a busy road, are important, but also the temperament of the cat. Some are easier to keep indoors than others. (Most of the cats I've had would escape at some point if I didn't let them out!) There are advantages and disadvantages to letting them out or keeping them in. I prefer to let them out, so they get an idea of how to cope if when they find themselves outside.
I live in a mid-terrace house, and let the cats out at the back, and they've sometimes wandered, but always found their way back. One cat, Clio, made a dash for it out of the front door, and went missing for nearly 4 months. She was well prepared for going out of one door, but panicked outside the other. My newest resident, Lily, also goes out the back, but I often see her waiting for me at the front when I'm coming back home, so she's much better at finding her way around.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
I currently have 6 kittens here - Finn and Sundae are partially sighted, Gin and Tonic to former ferals and Pepsi who is nearly there and Izzy-bidet who is a tortie feral who hates me she is off on her holidays to a CP Mate as I don't trust her not to shred the cat sitter

Mine all go out from about 9 months we start with mornings then move up to full days at the weekend and by the time they are a year old they get full indoor/outdoor rights

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
Awww Dory is beautiful, love the photo of the two of you.  :Luv:

I sympathise, I have two new kittens at the moment and will be facing the same dilemma myself in a few months time. The thought of letting them outside on their own terrifies me!

It's great that she's taken to the lead and responds to treats being rattled though, at least you know she'll come when you need her to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and please keep us all posted on Dory  :welcome:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 20:08:31 PM »
Definately a contraversial subject but we here are sensible  :innocent:

I agree with all that has been said on Purrs anf have two older cats that have been going out since they came here 10 yrs ago and do not leave the garden anymore but balso a 5 yr madcat called Lupin!

He goes out in a walking jacket anda lead in the garden but keeps escaping from houseand lead grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have a busy road at front and cars going up nd down the track mat back but he does know his way home when he has lost interest or been caught!

My cat flap is sadly boarded up cos despite setting on in only he found he could pull open from inside with a claw before he was 2 yrs old........got him at 2 months.

I think let her out with a worry but if the area is safe and quiet you will get no peace until you do. Try and get a flap installed, one that works off her chip if possible and she is not going to be a giant cat like my older two but failing that one that can be set to indoor only or closed at night.

She is beautiful and has tortitude which is right  :rofl: :rofl:

Lupin says he wants to come there and go out without his jacket................I would so like him to be able to be free and when he escapes he bounces down the garden in happiness

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 19:47:47 PM »
Hey I won't judge. We might have be needing a 'mouse drawer' soon.
We have a box filled with random bird feathers and leaves and twigs that I bring her when I go out. It's her indoor-outside area!
We have just come back from a walk. It's dark here and it's been raining all day. She had a ball of a time chasing rain droplets on the grass and then chasing the neighbors cat, Moscow until they were playing riling around in the wet grass. Back indoors now and she's trying to clean all the mud and grass off herself.
Brat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 18:51:17 PM »
Ah yes - the presents!   :tired:  we have a mouse drawer in our bedroom (don't ask.......)

Our Ross was an earlobe snoozer, and Sheilarose has a small kitten earlobe snoozer called Lorna.  It's a very endearing trait.  You take such lovely photographs of Dory.   :Luv:

As a tortie - and a very bonny one - I suspect she'll adore exploring.   :evillaugh:

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 18:38:56 PM »
I totally agree.
If I felt that it was unsafe for her I wouldn't consider it. But I live in a quiet pedestrian residential area.
I would never judge someone for keeping the animals indoors either. As you have said its what you decide for you and your fur baby.
I can just tell that Dory is going to LOVE being given the freedom bit she is also super attached to me (suckes my earlobes all the time and sleeps on my head and follows me everywhere I go) to know she won't leave and never come back!. I also have a feeling she's going to be bringing me loads of presents (oh dear)!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 18:31:08 PM »
Indoor/outdoor can be a very emotive subject and it's one which splits opinion.  There are arguments in favour of both schools of thought, but you have to do what you feel is best, and what works for you and Dory.  Ours are both able to go out as and when they choose as my OH shares your opinion.  In an ideal world I'd prefer a cat proofed garden to give them outdoors access with relative safety.

The main thing is that you do your best for your cat companion.   :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 18:22:11 PM »

Hello and  :welcome: to Purrs. dory is gorgeous

I have two cats, 21 month old brothers. They are housecats as there are two very busy main roads either side of me.

If you want to let her out I would take the advice of the lovely ladies here and do it slowly  ;D

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 18:08:32 PM »
It's really quite weird.
I have posted the same topic on another forum and the feedback I have been given has really confused (and slightly upset me).
Everyone has said that I should wait until at least a year or consider her being an indoor cat only with supervised walks only.
I don't know about you, but I find that a bit unfair on the animal. Yes she is guaranteed less danger indoors, but she is an animal and entitled to live her life. And if something did happen to her as a result, as absolutely gutted as I would be, at least I would know she was always happy!
I may wait until 6 months, but I'm not going to keep her indoors for my benefit only. I chose the house I'm living in purely for its garden so I knew she would be safe and happy. She is an animal and should be able to trust her own animal instincts.
Thanks for your comments and thought

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 17:44:55 PM »
The first independent steps outdoors are always the ones I fear most.  My OH usually does the honours there, as I cant.  As has been said already, do it when you're about initially, and when she hasn't been fed.   It's great that she likes to go out on her harness, because at least she's getting some experience when you're with her.  Also really good that she responds to the "treat rattling"   :)  They're your tools for encouraging her not to go too far initially.

Dory's beautiful.    :Luv:

Please do share your Dory tales with us - we love hearing them and getting to know our member's babies!   :wow:  We love photies too.   :wow:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 15:48:02 PM »
Try to make the initial outdoor experiences before meals so that she is more likely to come back for food.

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 15:46:42 PM »
Thanks Slugsta!

Dawn, thats exactly what I was thinking.
I would start on weekends only. Maybe an hour at a time. Would even be in the garden with her, but won't have her hooked up to the leash. Would keep treats near by so if she gets to brave for her paws I could lure her back in!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 15:41:02 PM »
oh she is lovely!  yes it is tough, maybe let her out when you are home at weekends at first

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 15:28:47 PM »
Hi Didi and Dory,  :welcome: to Purrs.

• Kitten
The Big Outdoors (for a 5 month old)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 15:16:01 PM »
Hi all,

My little tortie princess, Dory is growing fast and turned a whopping 5 months old yesterday.
Dory has been a ball of energy since day one. We got her at 9 weeks old from a lady who was fostering her mum.
She has always craved attention to which I have no problem giving her. She is the ying to my yang and to her I am the ham on my toast.. Brat cat.

Anyway, (I could talk about her for days) after she had her vacs I have been taking her outdoors on her leash and harness daily, be it for a walk in the garden, to the park or on a short shopping trip and she just LOVES it. She particularly loves the garden and all our neighbourhood cats. She has met them all and is very interested in making friends. She is quite attitude-y and big for her age and I think will be a very dominant cat in our neighbourhood. She is super friendly. She also associates the 'rattling of her treats' as me calling her and her knowing walkies time is over and walks to the back door.

On 25th September Dory got spayed and micro-chipped. She did not go outside for 10 days following the op and was only allowed outside again once the vet gave us the OK and her wound had healed. To say she hated those 10 days is an understatement. She would just gaze out the window and meow at me will all her cattitude begging me to take her out.

Anyway, we are a month along and I'm looking forward to our next big step- her first outdoor adventures UNSUPERVISED. She gazes out the window when I work and is always asking to be let out. ALL the forums and related articles suggest one waits until the cat is 6 months. Do you think this extra month is worth the wait? Shall I let her into the big wide world slowly?

Your opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Much Love,
Didi and Dory

Link to CatChat