Author Topic: Advice needed - 1 year old rejecting my kitten after a vet visit  (Read 2666 times)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Re: Advice needed - 1 year old rejecting my kitten after a vet visit
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 14:28:48 PM »

My Zoonie ran off and was missing for 17 hours. When I found him and brought him home, Astrophe his brother, was hissing, growling and hitting him, everything had changed. I put Zoonie in the litter tray that Astrophe had used earlier and covered him in the used litter, the litter had dried. That settled Astrophe down and a couple of days later everything was back to normal.
If they go to the vet I take both of them at the same time so they smell the same when they get home.
As for the fleas, the lovely ladies of this forum will give the best advice.

I hope things settle down quickly  ;D

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
  • Slave to: Pandora & Possum
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 14:03:59 PM »
Thank you :) I will try scent swapping first and I hope that works :) this was yesterday so hopefully the scent will have died down today.

I don't think Possum will have any long term effects other than her growth being a little stunted but I have done all I can and she gets lots of love, as do both of them, I am just glad she ended up in a loving home  :Luv:
Mummy to:
2 Cats: Pandora (1 year) & Possum (8 weeks)
1 Bunny - Bumble (7 years)

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Sometimes cats will react this way because a companion cat has been to the vet and comes back smelling "odd" to them.  Sometimes it doesn't bother them, but you never can tell how each cat will react.

Julie's suggestion of wiping a cloth over your  1 year old, and then scent swapping by wiping it over the kitten should prove helpful, and things should settle down once that strangeness has dissipated. 

If not, then by all means try the reintroductions again, confining the kitten to one room, and taking things gradually, maybe feeding either side of a closed door to begin with.  Hopefully it wont come to that.

It's such a shame she is much younger than they said she was, but it doesnt sound like she's come to any harm from that, and you're doing all the right things for her, so her situation could be a whole lot worse.   :hug:

When we had Paddy and Flynn and our dog, Tess, trips to the vet used to involve all three of us going in the car, and often Tess's presence seemed to calm them down. 

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
Thank you for your advice.

She has been worked and de-flead and my other cat is up to date with her advocate and working tablets so she should be ok. The house was treated when I first got her with vet perscriped spray so should be protected for up to a year. Everything has been washed and I purchased a steamer to clean the floors. I am on top of the flea treatment with Possum the kitten but as you say fleas are becoming resistant to frontline. She is due back in 2 weeks and I will be monitoring her weight daily. I also have a littler tray that uses clumping litter and the faeces is cleaned up as soon as possible. I will try integration again.
Mummy to:

Soon to be launching BPP Creations. A natural pet treat business - Stay Tuned - https://www.facebook.com/groups/773730239412740/

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »
My thoughts are frontline hasn't worked for years. I try never to use chemicals. But one of my cats used to have a flea allergy so I did have to treat her. The only thing that worked for her was advantage. In the past I have tried herbal things. But they only deter fleas, not kill them. If you have a flea infestation you will have to treat all pets, plus the house in order to get on top of the problem. As for mending the relationship with the cats. Try rubbing a cloth over the older cat, then rubbing the younger one with it to exchange smells again. Oh and wormers. I would get a wormer from the vet as worms, plus fleas can soon get out of hand and kill a kitten. And again, worm all pets at the same time as worm eggs are soon passed around via litter trays and mutual grooming. And check with the vet which products are safe for her age.
Julie.

Offline Pretty_Kitty

• Kitten
    • BPP Creations
Advice needed - 1 year old rejecting my kitten after a vet visit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
Good Morning All,

I need  some advice. I took my kitten to the vet for her 1st injections yesterday. Which was a disaster. She still has fleas (despite me treating her) and has worms. It also turns out she was sold to me at 6 weeks so she is only 9 weeks and not the 11 that I believed. I feel so sorry for her but it's all in hand.

However she was flea treated with the frontline spray at the vets. I have a 1 year old cat who had bonded with her and would groom her and snuggle up. Since she came back yesterday she is hissing at my kitten and swiping at her. I just don't know what I can do and how I get the bond back. Is this because she smells different to when she left. Any advise would be great.
Mummy to:

Link to CatChat