Author Topic: can I give lactose free cream cheese to my kitten with gastroenteritis?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
Re: can I give lactose free cream cheese to my kitten with gastroenteritis?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 19:08:40 PM »
This is similar to the problem I had with Sonia, my foster, a few years ago. She had to take several pills a day. I think I managed to get it the right way round more by luck than judgement, because I had other cats, so couldn't give her medication in her food.
I used to give her pills wrapped in cheese, butter, and even ice-cream. Whenever she got wise to the fact it had something horrible hidden in it, I'd change it to something else, but she'd eat her normal food with no fuss.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 18:54:06 PM »
It's probably not the best thing and I would be careful not to give much even if he wants it, but he needs to eat so maybe a small amount?  hard cheese is naturally low in lactose so I would think that might be better than cream cheese, lactose free or not.  Natural yogurt is also low in  lactose and the probiotics in live yogurt might help with the runs so if he's a dairy fiend I would try yogurt and hard cheese (in small quantities) if he likes them.  It might be worth trying Applaws/Encore with pumpkin if you can get some (PAH sell Applaws tins individually) - pumpkin is good for upset tummies so may help and the rest is just chicken. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 15:09:01 PM »
Well to say I am confused is an understatment!

Why is kitten milk the worst thing and cottage cheese wasnt mentioned but lacto free cheese and thought it was lactose that was bad for some cats.

Such a young kitten needs to eat anf if its losing weight that is very bad.

It could be by mixing the meds in the food that has stopped him eating cat food cos he thinks you have tried to poisen him.

I would try the fishy food as suggested by Emmy below, no meds in it.  If the diahrea keeps on then there are som capsules called.........umm just looking cos saw them yesterday...........Synbiotic D-C Protexin veterinary. It was given to me for my 10month old kitten Lupin who had diarhrea for a long time and if I nremember you open the capsule and put half on the food twice a day but dont have instructions.

All other meds he either wouldnt touch or they did not help him.

I was lucky cos he would eat the special food, well for a while and he finally got better. The first normal food I tried him on cos he stopped eating the special one, was Tesco chicken in jelly pouches and he was fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,we graduated onto Felix jelly pouches and Sheba tins.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 14:00:21 PM »
I was going to suggest maybe some sardines or mackerel, again in spring water not oil. Also maybe ask your vet about cimicat powder you mix with water. Its usually for kittens that dont have a mother to feed them, but yours is still quite young.

I would also keep an eye on how much he is drinking, I have had to wrap kittens in towels and give them water/ cimicat in syringes. You dont want a kitten that young to be losing too much weight  :(
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
Some sound advice already.  Am sorry to hear your kitten is poorly.   :hug:

Jackson Galaxy sometimes recommends first stage human baby food, the sort you buy in jars, but if you're unable to get the little one to eat, I would suggest going back to your vet to discuss it, as cats can lose weight and condition very quickly when unwell.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 00:58:23 AM »

I am sorry your kitten is poorly and I hope he recovers soon.

It is not wise to give a healthy kitten never mind one with diarrhoea any dairy product, lactose free or not, or eggs. I would try tuna (spring water) steamed or boiled chicken or some poached white fish, cod/haddock.
Make sure their is plenty of fresh water.
If your kitten wont eat the tuna, fish or chicken you may have to liquidise it and feed him by hand. You can mix the diar stop paste in.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 00:02:43 AM »
I personally wouldn't give a kitten cottage cheese. Cow's milk is meant for baby cows, not baby cats. As you have tried the chicken and it doesn't work, how about some cooked turkey. Or to get the kitten to eat Sheba always seems a favourite. The chicken terrine only has chicken and no cereals or veg etc in it. Also the tuna terrine. To soothe the gut you could add a pinch of slippery elm powder, and a probiotic.  Kaolin paste also is a good binder. Here are some suggestions for gastric upsets in the link below. Once the kitten is eating you can introduce proper kitten food. But for now I would have thought the important thing was to get the diarrhoea under control and to get the kitten to eat something. The link below is to give you an idea of what you could give the kitten. But as the vet has given you something, try that in a bit of plain Sheba chicken terrine . You don't want to give too many medicines at a time and end up with the kitten getting constipation. I know too much tuna is not good for cats. But small amounts is okay. Most cats go mad for some tinned tuna. Make sure it's not the one with brine or oil. Just the one in spring water.Good luck. And let us know how you get on.
Julie.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-prebiotic-probiotic-products-c-5_172

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
can I give lactose free cream cheese to my kitten with gastroenteritis?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 23:35:17 PM »
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have a very poorly kitten suffering from gastroenteritis. He saw the vet this afternoon who prescribed some 'Diar-Stop' gel and some Royal Canin Sensitivity pouches, which, unfortunately he is not eating. I have tried giving the food both 'plain' and with the Diar Stop mixed in, and also served the food in chunks and also tried mashing with a fork and he won't touch it.

He does however appear to have an appetite and as a test I gave him a tiny amount of lactose free cream cheese which he wolfed down.

The vet gave me some grief as I'd told him that the kitten had some kitten milk in the week and was told in no uncertain terms that it was the worst thing I can give to a kitten with diarrhoea thus I'm guessing that the cream cheese (despite being lactose free) is a no no?

At the weekend I tried making him chicken and rice and also scrambled egg. He would only eat the chicken if it was in kitten milk and only the egg with some cream cheese stirred in.

The kitten is 10/11 weeks old and not vomiting but diarrhoea (voluntary ie he can get to the tray in time). In himself he's very playful and affectionate still but has lost quite a bit of weight since I got him last week. I also have his brother whom had a bout of diarrhoea early on in the weekend but seems fine now.

So can anyone tell me if I can give my much beloved little 'un some of the lactose free cheese. Or suggest anything else that he might eat bearing in mind the stuff I've already tried?

Sincerest thanks,

S.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 23:38:18 PM by Lil_Scruff »

Link to CatChat