Author Topic: Kitten Suckling and can't make her stop!  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Kitten Suckling and can't make her stop!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »

You clearly have a very special bond betwenn you, because in the wonderful photos you've posted, she's always very close and cuddly with you.   :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
she is adorable  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 19:53:38 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwww she is gorgeous and hope your ear is surviving  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Didi (Dory's Mom)

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dory
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 19:09:12 PM »
Seeing as I haven't been on here for a while I thought I would update you on the Dory suckling status: unchanged.
She's as persistent as she was on day one. I've tried every trick in the book. I've bought fluffy blankie after blankie, soft toy after toy, slept with a pillow case over my head. Tried to get her to sleep elsewhere (fail!).
Granted I haven't slept properly since I got her (hey they say having a human child is worse, so I guess we can call it practice) I decided to just 'go with it. If she wants my ear it's my ear she will have'. Occasionally it gets too much so I have to force myself to spend 15 mins playing with her at 3am. But hey ho. Such is life.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 17:45:24 PM »
Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add, just want to say Hello and  :welcome: to Didi and Dory.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 13:16:42 PM »
Hello Didi - welcome to purrs to you and little Dory.   :welcome:

How wonderful that you're sharing your home with this lovely little furkid - her antics spending her day helping you is just wonderful, and she's really committed herself heart and soul to you and your OH, hasn't she?   :Luv:

Speaking first hand, our previous cat, Ross (one of my gorgeous Bridge Babies) used to suckle on my earlobe, or my shoulder and wrist (I have bony wrists), but it was mainly my right earlobe. 

We got him when he was 8 weeks old, and he also did it from about the third day of being with us.  He only ever did it to me, and never to my OH, even though he clearly loved us both very much.  He did it into adulthood, until we lost him to a road traffic accident.

I read quite a bit about the activity, and watched Youtube clips of other cats who also exhibited this form of behaviour.  I saw a number of remedies suggested, like blankets, soft toys etc, but he was never willing to compromise when faced with the choice of an alternative or Ma's tender flesh  :evillaugh:

Ultimately, I decided to nothing whatsoever about it. 

It's purely a personal thing, but I figured that if Ross chose to express his love in a way that was somewhat unusual, and his actions comforted him to sleep, then that was just fine with me.   I felt to reject that would've in some way diminished the joy of giving, and there was no way I was prepared to do that.  I wont say that at times it wasn't uncomfortable or inconvenient, as it could be both!

Sometimes I ended up with a sore earlobe or a chomped on shoulder raked with love bites, but in the general scheme of things it was something I found I could personally live with.

It also made me feel incredibly humble, that I was actually such a special part of his existence, and inspired such trust.

I appreciate that not everyone feels the same about this - some find it gross or unnatural, some will tell you its an insecurity thing, and I'm not going to second-guess any of the motives, or say that "this is worng" and "that is right" 

You have to find a solutions that works for you - I totally get that suckling your eyes and face are obviously actions you'd want to discourage from a safety point of view.  Continuing to gently remove her and turning her head when you do so may help, and replacing yourself with a substitute may have varying degrees of success, as you've already found.

I know sometimes people suggest blowing into a cat's face, gently, but I harbour the thought that from a cat's point of view, this is the height of rude behaviour, and it's not something I ever wanted to chance with my own cats.

Have you tried wearing an eye mask while you sleep, to see if that will discourage the worst of the eye kissing, and maybe a light scarf round your neck to divert her activities to a more comfortable object, like a finger or bent knuckle? 

I'm not suggesting you do this permanently, but just until you can find a happy compromise with her activities?  Alternatively, you may want to consider leaving her out of the bedroom at night at least, although there's a risk she could become anxious at being separated from you, and she may begin clawing at the door or floor coverings.

I dont think it's anything to worry about, although it may seem a bit excessive the degree to which she exhibits this behaviour.   :hug:

Do you have any piccies of your gorgeous girl?    ;D

Sue

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 13:15:22 PM »
they do grow out of it, one of mine was 14 weeks when I got her, she tried to suckle from my older male cat for a few weeks, bless him he let her!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 13:06:12 PM »
I think it is just a comfort thing and happens with many cats and kittens when that young and in the case of my big Misa he was doing this at 4 yrs old and on.

He still does it at 14yrs but uses the duvet now LOL

I would not try to stop him ever.

However as Dory is unintentionally hurting you need a way to try and get her to use something else does seem needed, you are her mother now and she is just showing you how much she loves and needs you.

I would try starting putting something soft and fairly thin over your shoulder so she can still feel its you and try to get her to suckle that and if that works progress to something thicker.

I used to have a soft thick dressing gown and Misa used to come on the bed and suckle me through that.................he was over 6kgs!

My other two cats have never done this and he had a bad life up to 4yrs and was taken to the vet to be put to sleep  :(

Some cats are needier than others and Dory sounds like she will do this all of her life.

Offline Didi (Dory's Mom)

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dory
Kitten Suckling and can't make her stop!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
Good Afternoon All.
I am new here so I thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out.
I am writing this in a desperate attempt to find and alternative answer to what is riddled all over the internet.
I have had many pets in my life including cats/kittens of all ages and this is the first time I have encountered this.
Three weeks ago my boyfriend (Jeremy) and I adopted our little fur child, Dory. She was 9 weeks old when we got her and she had been living with her mom and brother indoors since birth with a lady who had adopted her mom while pregnant with the kittens. When I got Dory she was on solid food and using her litter tray.
Moving her into our home she adapted SO well and is full of beans and has really come into herself. She plays like mad thing with all her toys and I make a big effort to interact with her. She sits on the bath ledge while I shower, she watches me cook, she 'helps' me prepare her food and is generally my little side kick.
Since getting her she sleeps either on the bed or on the carpet directly next to me and jumps between the two during the night. She is way more attached to me that she is to Jeremy (probably because I am more besotted with her).
After having Dory for three days she started suckling on me. It started pretty calmly and would suckle on my eye for about 30 seconds, then try the neck or hand and would then cuddle up to my neck and fall asleep.
When this FIRST happened I was concerned and thought she might be missing her mom and so the research began. I read that I shouldn't encourage it. I read that I should try give her a blanket/soft toy/tshirt to suckle on instead. I read that I should try distract her attention. I read that I should gently put her on the floor. I read that I should calmly walk away. I read that I should never moan at her for doing this.
Since this day I have tried everything suggested to me. However her suckling has become more and more intensified. I wake up to hickies on my face/eyes/neck/arms. her little claws scratch me while she suckles and kneads and purrs like a motor boat.
If I put her on the floor, she just jumps straight up and tries again. She will nuzzle me as deeply as she can. She is not interested in any toys/blankets etc. If it happens during the day its a bit easier as I can walk away and she will just sit on the bed/couch/floor and meow, but at night time I cant really leave my bed.
Jeremy will try distract her or move her to his side of the bed, but she comes running straight back to me.
Does any one have any suggestions or tips or similar experiences?
I don't want to hurt or upset her, I want to help her. I'm worried that it could be more than a 'comfort' thing.

THANK YOU!
Didi

Link to CatChat