Author Topic: First time cat owner ! Introducing Lola!  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: First time cat owner ! Introducing Lola!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 20:47:10 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Lola is going to have a great home with you and Aclaim and the other one Rosella gave the link for kill eggs vas well as fleas................I had an abandoned cat as my first cat many years ago and so wish I had taken her to the vets when I found she had fleas.

They were dancing round my house until I was given Aclaim as everything else failed!

So pleased she is putting on weight and we will need pictures  ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Poor Lola has had a bad start  :( I am so glad she now has a loving home  ;D You have been given some good advice regarding your flea problem. It might be worth using a flea collar in your hoover bag (NOT on Lola) to kill any that you hoover up. Failing that, make sure the bag is emptied each time after use. I do hope you soon get on top of this, it's not a great introduction to cat slavery ( you are the slave, not the cat!!).

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
Hiya and  :welcome:  Amber and Lola to Purrs

Fleas are a pain aren't they.  You need to be thorough and use a decent household spray (and follow instructions carefully) in addition to decent flea treatment.  The two main household sprays that actually work are:

Indorex
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-household-flea-sprays-c-3_419/indorex-flea-spray-500ml-can-p-677

Acclaim
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=acclaim

Hopefully the lovely Lola has also been wormed?  Assume vet will have addressed this when giving the Advocate treatment as, whilst it covers roundworm, I don't think it covers tapeworms?  However I'm not a vet and would be careful to follow vet's instructions as she is so very young and esp as she has been so underweight.  It's always such a delight to hear that previously badly cared for beauties have landed on their paws. 

Well done you and enjoy your gorgeous gal  :) :) :) 

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
A big Purrs welcome to you both.    :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:  Am so sorry to hear of your loss, but how exciting to have your first cat.  She sounds lovely, and how lucky that she's found a home with you.   ;D. I personally wouldn't use any flea products from supermarkets but would stick to pet shops or your vet.  Any household sprays need to be used with care.  Keep the treated rooms closed off for an hour or so after spraying and with Windows open.  Hoover daily and you should bring the pesky flea problem under control.   :)

Can't wait to see pictures of Lola. 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 17:04:39 PM »

Hi and welcome to purrs. Amber and Lola. Hope to see lots of pics of your furry fiend  ;D

You can buy household flea treatments in pet shops but if you do, please be very, very careful. If in doubt ask your vet.
The spray will only kill the living fleas and not their eggs so several treatments will be required 

This household flea spray contains a pesticide called Permithrin, which is lethal to cats (although on the packaging only says lethal to fish)

Offline amber_lola

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Lola
First time cat owner ! Introducing Lola!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 16:33:02 PM »
 Hello everyone !

First time cat owner here . I've had dogs all my life however a few months ago I lost my retriever and couldn't bare to get another dog and have always wanted a cat so I thought now was the right time !

I then found Lola , a 8 week old domestic grey short hair . She is just beautiful . The lady I bought her from did not look after her kittens well and when I brought Lola home she was covered in fleas, had worms and was severely underweight , the tip of he tail was also broken .I've been really struggling with the fleas and she's only just (today) had the advocate flea treatment from the vets , she had to wait a few weeks to have it as she was so underweight , she's put on quite a bit since being with us !. Have you guys got any advice on getting rid of fleas  from our home ? They are driving me crazy and biting my legs and ankles constantly !!

This site is fantastic and I'm already learning lots from you fantastic kitty owners . I'll be definitely asking a lot of questions as a newbie so I apologise in advance !

Hope to speak again soon !

Amber and Lola :Luv:

Link to CatChat