Author Topic: Feliway or Pet Remedy?  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Feliway or Pet Remedy?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
I've used both but tended to go for pet remedy because of price - it smells a bit socky initially!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 20:19:13 PM »
I just went and had a sniff and it doesn't smell of valerian - or old socks! It does have a faint smell but not strong.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 17:56:26 PM »
Hmm so mixed opinions then!  Does the pet remedy smell like the valerian toys, lol?  I think they smell like smelly socks. 

I don't know whether it makes a difference but Mosi does not respond much to catnip or valerian etc.  does that mean he's less likely to feel any effect with pet remedy?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 21:30:14 PM »
I have heard people say that the Pet Remedy makes them feel relaxed/sleepy too  :tired:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 19:15:36 PM »
I find pet remedy much more effective and a lot cheaper than Felliway x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 14:55:49 PM »

I have tried Feliway with the Hoolies and it didn't make the slightest difference.
I did however, discover that catnip worked on them when sprayed in their carriers and on their beds

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:24:58 PM »
I've used Feliway quite a lot and I can definitely see a difference. I think it's definitely worth trying - it won't do any harm.

I've also used Pet Remedy but usually only when the girls have to go in their carriers. Last time I used it, Drum acted like she was on catnip!

That would be the valerian in it making Drum act like she was on catnip.
Julie.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
I've used Feliway quite a lot and I can definitely see a difference. I think it's definitely worth trying - it won't do any harm.

I've also used Pet Remedy but usually only when the girls have to go in their carriers. Last time I used it, Drum acted like she was on catnip!

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 02:32:54 AM »
Never used either. Although recommended by vets, and animal behaviourists, friends who have tried feliway say it didn't work. Given the choice I would try pet remedy as I have used oils for myself, and find they work well. But don't know about cats. Essential oils are poisonous to cats if ingested. Although in a diffuser, I still wouldn't personally use it long term. It's my personal thinking that oils could still get into the bloodstream via the lungs when breathed in. But I'm probably being too cautious. I myself would use flower remedies.
Julie.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Feliway or Pet Remedy?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 20:53:47 PM »
Opinions please!  I have only used feliway and never really had much need for that.  I always intended to get feliway for when Kito arrived but never got around to it, and when he arrived they got on fine so I didn't think I needed it.  Now things are ok but Mosi seems a little nervous and I think he's been through such a lot over the past couple of months that he's feeling a bit stressed (a dental from which he took a while to recover, multiple vet visits in addition to Kito Kitten arriving on the scene).  Kito is still being a bit of a pest when Mosi uses the litter tray and that's obviously worrying my little ginger lad.  So I was going to get feliway but I know many on here recommend pet remedy. 

I've used feliway before but not sure whether it works as hard to know how things would be without it and it is many years since I've used it.  I used the spray when Jaffa and Magpie went to the cattery and the first year I took it with me (and asked them to spray some around the pen every day) the staff did say they seemed to relax more quickly than usual.  I've never tried pet remedy.

btw I have also ordered some Zylkene tablets for Mosi - reckon they cant' hurt if the poor lad is feeling a bit stressed.

Link to CatChat