Author Topic: Kiki keeps going back to old house  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Kiki keeps going back to old house
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 22:02:32 PM »
I think you are going to have to let her do her own thing.

If she doesnt reappear after say 24 hours maybe go and visit where you know she goes just to check she is OK but let her come back when she is ready.

Afraid she is sending you a message loud and clear.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 21:39:38 PM »
No, it's a walled garden that has two levels and it just wouldn't be feasible. I think it would drive her nuts to be fenced in like that after having so much freedom before.

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 21:12:15 PM »

Do you have a fenced garden you could cat proof?

An elderly lady I know swears by putting bitter on cats paws, she says once they have licked it off they won't wander off. Old wives tale?

Sorry I can't suggest anything else mine are housecats

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 20:14:54 PM »
After we moved she was kept in for over three weeks and went out exploring, coming back each evening just fine.
Then she just stayed out one night (thurs) and I thought she'd gone for good but she'd gone back to old house and the brook where I found her on the Monday.
When she comes back she's given a slap up feed and sleeps like a log, and even though the flap is open during the day (not at night, they stay indoors) she stays in for a good couple of weeks before she decides it's time for a wander again.

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 19:58:03 PM »
In her opinion you moved away from heaven  :shify:

What do you do when you have brought her back and how long did you keep her in when you moved?

You will have to keep her in for a couple of weeks every time you bring her bback, although not sure that will help now.

I think thay she knows the way so well she will come back when she is ready but as you said your new home has nothing for her compared to her old one.

I hope someone else will be bable to give you some better advice than me

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
Kiki keeps going back to old house
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 19:42:00 PM »
Hey guys, long time no speak!
You may remember Kiki, who I adopted from Shropshire cat rescue some 6 years ago.
Well, we used to live in a lovely housing estate where a brook ran beside the whole cycle path. Kiki loved to hunt and would come back every once in a while with shrews, mice, birds, even a mole at one point! We bought a new house at the end of April not too far away in the same area, about ten mins walk from the old place.
Kiki has gone back there four times now. The first time she disappeared on a Thursday, I finally spotted her and managed to get her in the box the following Monday. The next two times she went on a Saturday or Sunday and I got her back the following day. Each time I would call, she would reply and come running over. I started calling her my "part time" cat :-/
This time, she went on Saturday afternoon, I've gone over there just now and she answered me but didn't want to come out. She was in the hollow of a tree by the brook (where I couldn't reach her) she wasn't hurt, she got up, stretched and curled back down.
Each time she's gone there I haven't waited to see if she'll come back of her own accord; I've always gone and fetched her. She's usually hungry when she gets back and pretty tired-but then, two weeks later she's back there again.
 She can't stay there, the people in my old house (lovely couple) have their own cat who chases her away. I think she's surviving on a diet of mice.
What do I do? Should I wait to see if she comes back by herself? She loves it there, and my new house only has a courtyard garden which has lovely plants and high walls, but it's no match for a brook teeming with wildlife. Its getting more and more frequent now to traipse over with a cat box and bring her back.
What do you suggest?
I really don't know what to do. She is chipped and insured.
Mojo x

Add Glitter to Pictures

Link to CatChat