Author Topic: Cat on holiday help?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
Re: Cat on holiday help?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »
Hi Trazzer,

Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful :) I'm so sorry for your loss. I always think it's better to have known and lost than not to have known at all.

I'm going to buy Millie a harness and practise at home, then I'll take her to my mums sometime. She lived in that house for 6 years so it is familiar. We live about 6 minutes anyway from my mums so if it's a disaster it's not the end of the world.

Emmy- what does your little one do for the toilet? X
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Trazzer

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Merlin, Pebbles and Lockwood
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
We used to take Suzie and Pepper on holiday if the journey was 1.5 to 2 hours max. They hated the journey and I found slower steadier speeds made them less worried. We always made sure doors at the cottage were closed and Suzie would go for short sniff around a outside on her harness - which she never went on at home. They seemed to settle in quickly if it was a quiet cottage and it was lovely to all snuggle together in the evenings with a real fire. It was worth the noisy journey to see them happy on holiday rather than in the cattery. Sadly they both crossed the bridge at 18 just over 2 years ago.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
I dont know, its tough. The travelling time would concern me, but if you do some long 'practice runs' as you say that would be a good idea. If its only 3 hours as you say, I suppose someone could take her back home if it all goes wrong?

I know Evie would love a new place to explore, as she often accompanies me to my parents for Sunday lunch. She isnt bothered at all by being in a carrier or the car. However Denzel and Dexter would not like it at all....

Maybe you could take her to 'visit' a friend or another relative for a couple of hours  to see how she copes in a totally new place?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
I think we would definitely have to trial going in the car with the harness. We could gradually increase the time in the car e.g. Just go round the block a few times and then drive a bit longer..
Hubby is against it, he's worried we will loose her, but I said to him well we make sure we don't?! Obviously loosing her isn't worth thinking about but I still think she'd be happier with us on holiday than in a Cattery. The other thing is we are going away for new year and obviously there is going to be fireworks. I don't like the thought of her in the Cattery on her own scared to death by the fireworks. Millie needs reassurance when she's scared.

I don't know what to do?! Will she die of stress if she didn't like it?

Thanks everyone x
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 22:49:03 PM »
I think a harness and sitting on your lap would be good cos 3 hours is a long time but it depends on whether this is really feasable.

My late cat Kocka used to lie in half of her carrier on my knee and also had a harness on, it was a good size carrier.

I just cant go away and leave my cats and put Misa and Sasa in a catery but was a disaster

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 19:49:32 PM »
Hi,
Although I get on brilliantly with both my neighbours and Millie has been their bbqs I don't know if Millie would let them fuss her. She is a total mummy's girl through and through!! Even daddy doesn't get attention unless he's here on his own!! Of course I need to think about travelling gear, I was thinking of a harness but now you've said carrier I maybe could buy a big one she could stay in. The carrier we've got now isnt massive. The car journey would be about 3 hours maximum with traffic? I would just love to be with her as I miss her so much. Am I being selfish?!! Xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 19:26:32 PM »
Have you a neighbour that could possibly be trusted to come and feed your cat. One that wouldn't mind the toileting habits. And give cuddles. I was only too pleased to look after a neighbours cat when they went away. Cats do like their own home. But it would have to be someone totally reliable.
Julie.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 18:35:14 PM »
how long would the car journey be for her? She would need to be kept inside her carrier, not loose in the car in case she  jumps on the driver! or in case of a crash she could escape? Also if the weather is really hot its not good for cats, years ago my cat was travelling in my car when it was hot and i had to have the windows shut and he ended up hyperventilating. I had to break the speed limit to get where i was going and unfortunately i got chased by the police   :evillaugh: but they let me off when they saw my poor cat gasping!! but if you think she would be ok and happier than at a cattery its worth a try?  When i have been away before i have left my cat in a cattery and they are lovely people and its peace of mind knowing she will be there when I come home ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 18:37:21 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
Cat on holiday help?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 18:10:02 PM »
Hi
I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place :-:

I've got a bit of a funny question about whether to take Millie away with us. Just a bit of extra info. Millie is 14, very spoilt and happy - aslong as I'm with her. She has experience of 'holiday' when we go to my mums to stay over Christmas (usually for about a week and only 10 minutes away). However she lived at my mums until she was 6 so she may remember it? If we've been away before she goes in the Cattery and is always well looked after but that's not to say she's 'happy'. When we get there she's full of the dirty looks and the 'I'm not even going to grace you with my presence' cattitude! It takes a long time for her to 'forgive' us. When we eventually get her back home I will want to snug and she has no interest - Millie LIVES for snugs!!! She doesn't purr or eat her treats, it's like she punishes us!! After a few days this behaviour is forgotten and she sees that she can't resist snugs for long! So as for travelling she hates the box but I would get her a harness. She is not interested in going out at home so I don't push the issue, so I don't think she'd feel cooped up. She is fab with a litter tray and partially trained on the toilet, only does number 1's. Sometimes we go away with my family all in a caravan, she knows them all and she always get a lot attention (at Christmas time with them and when they come to our house) which is always welcome! However she has never been in the car longer than about 30mins, that bothers me that she would be unhappy for that long but she would just be on my knee? We go out sometimes on holiday day or night and wonder if she would be ok with that seeing as she's in different surroundings? The family dog goes on holiday with us who she has lived with for 6 years and I've looked after her for weeks when my parents have been away, Millie is fine as she reins supreme!! But we will take the dog out in the day and she'll be on her own - probably sleeping!! I know it's my choice and everything but I would just be interested in what you lovely owners would do if it was your cat? And had the same situation as us?
I think I've put down as much info as I can think of but please let me know if there is anything else!
Many thanks
Kymberley x
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 18:19:25 PM by kymberleyc »
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat