Author Topic: Any advice on tasteless pain relief please.  (Read 5828 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Any advice on tasteless pain relief please.
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
Archie has Dexafort a strong anti inflame. Not sure if you can only get it by injection

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 17:43:36 PM »
Got the metacam this morning band it came thro the door cos thet had taken the packaging apart which made everythng flatter,,,,,,,,very good job they did too but can see the postage charged on the label which is £4.10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats cos they put it in a way too big jiffy bag.

Its 15ml and that lasts abot 3 months or so so 30ml would be good.

Yes I would know if Misa needed to see vet and will have to see how much the prescription charge is.

I will speak to Gareth before next one cos will be Misas health check and jab.

Thats both and will have to remember to check with you when next one is due  :innocent:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 15:23:58 PM »
Rosella I spend hours comparing prices and postage. I need renalzin for one of my cats, plus seraquin for Grace, and other herbal kidney and bladder stuff I buy online for my CKD cat Frodo.. You can't get it all in one place. Then one stops doing something, so I have to start all over again. I try to match things up so I get free postage. You have to be so careful because there can be such a difference in price. I was doing brilliantly with renalzin, until they stopped making it. Now it is getting more and more difficult to find any that's left. And what you do costs a fortune for a small pot. So research has started again to find something suitable to replace the renalzin with. Then the further search to find the best deal. It's never ending! I am going to get rid of the old cats and get some new ones that are genetically modified not to have any problems. Ouch! Just been beaten up by six cats. They are not amused.
Julie.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 14:37:59 PM »
I know Julie.  Very misleading!  I tried comparing prices with Medicanimal but your link much cheaper and as far as I can tell postage free on both sites.

Ah, just saw there is a £2.50 fee for orders under £20 on petdrugsonline compared to a £1.95 charge for less than £9.90 with Medicanimal.   Otherwise both free. 

Sorry I'm sort of a bit OCD about postage charges   :sneakin:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 14:43:12 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
 Rosella. I was looking at the bottle in the advert which is a 30ml bottle. Glad you picked up on the one in the drop down box for the correct amount and price.  I need to be a bit more careful with my research.
Julie.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
I think that price is for the 15ml bottle Julie.  The saving is even higher for the 30ml bottle but so is the cost  "Vet price £43.87, Our price £15.61" 

You would need to check cost for a repeat prescription Gill but not sure how long a 30ml bottle would last gorgeous Misa  :care: :care: :care:

A client of mine looked into the cost of long term metacam for her dog.  It was much much cheaper ordering online.  Vet would not give repeat prescription for more than 6 months though without a check up which to be fair I think is reasonable.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 23:23:32 PM »
Gill I don't know if this is of any help. Petdrugsonline say for 30ml of metacam from vets is £24 . 99p. Their price £7 . 81p. Vets like to keep checking pets because they can charge for each time they do. I am sure you would know if there was a problem with Misa and needed to have a vet check him. This is why vets make a lot of money. By keep telling us our pets need to be checked. And vaccinated etc etc when it is proved pets don't need yearly boosters. Same with doctors. Once they were paid for every flu jab they gave, suddenly everyone had to have one.
Here is link to £7 81p per 30ml metacam.
http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/prescriptions/m/metacam-oral-suspension-for-cats

Julie.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 23:24:23 PM by bickhamwitch »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 21:36:57 PM »
I have just ordered a new bottle from vets and needed it sending so will see what the bill is.

I know vet wants to keep checking Misa but dont understand why cos he told me that if a cat didnt not have kidney problems then Metacam wouldnt cause them, only affects if kidney probs are already bthere.

Misa is absolutely healthy apart from the arthritus and as far as I know there is nothing else they can give him that he will eat.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 23:29:15 PM »
Metacam 15ml for cats £8 79p from animeddirect. And free postage on anything.  http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/search/all/metacam/relevance 
That's the best deal so far I have found. I don't know what size your £15 metacam is Gill. It might pay you to look at online prices if you are buying it long term. But I expect you have already looked into that. Seraquin is dearer at animeddirect than medicanimal, but free postage. Carol if you do buy online, write down where you got the best deal. I buy renalzin online and get a really good deal. But forgot where I got it from and had to spend ages researching again. At the vets it is £41 20p. Online for the same 150ml size, I can get it for £17 50p. A massive difference.
Julie.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 22:49:22 PM »
My vets charge £5 for a prescription and from them metacam is about £15 so if you also have to pay P&p not a lot cheaper I suspect.

Misa also comes to get me to give him his fish pate with his metacam in thank goodness. So he gets a mini portion mixed with water and after he getsv thev test mixed with water. Sasa finishes off the rest.

This was the only way that I could be sure he had the part with the metacam in  :evillaugh:

Try to get her to love the metacam by itself in food cos thats the thing that will help the pain.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 22:29:37 PM »
Carol that is great news about Tiffy's blood results. Wonderful for a cat her age. But a disappointment she is not impressed with eating the seraquin. I just have to say to Gracie "do you want your tablet?" and she goes straight to where I keep them. Also reminds me by sitting in the kitchen staring at me until she gets her tablet. It just saves such a fuss , and stress if they will eat it. I don't know if you bought the seraquin from the vets, but online should be cheaper. You don't need a presciption.  http://www.medicanimal.com/Seraquin-for-Cats-and-Small-Dogs-with-Chondroitin/p/I0000154?gclid=CND2-7DuusYCFaIIwwodr6kGDA  Also free delivery if you spend over £9 99p. Also metacam  http://www.medicanimal.com/search?text=metacam   would be a lot cheaper if she is to be on it long term. But you need a prescription from your vet. He will charge you for this. But if you get a long term one written out for a repeat one, it works out so much cheaper.
Please let us know if the medication helps Tiffy.
Julie.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 21:35:57 PM »

Good news and a relief for you  ;D
Enjoy you jollies  ;D ;D

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Tiffy Toffie (aka Tiffany), Lexicle (aka Lexi)
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 21:26:24 PM »
Wee update. Results from vets were good. Apparently her bloods were very good for a 19 year old cat, her liver is o.k and her kidneys near the top end of normal. So am very happy. We now have the metacam and the seraquin.  Lol, got carried away and wanted to see if she would eat the tablets like your Gracie Julie. But in my enthusiasm to see  :-[  I woke her up to try. Yes I know bad idea  :rofl:. She did pick it up but was not impressed, so tried breaking it up for her which got me 'the look' and a view of her back.    However both now been put in food and some eaten.  Am off to Netherlands to daughters tomorrow, so husband has the fun of establishing a routine in the next week. Luckily our cat sister has no problem doing anything for the cats. Thanks so much, hopefully this will improve her quality of life. Carol x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 16:15:00 PM »
Even with kidney issues metacam will give a better quality of life and its your decision not the vets, they can only advise  :hug: :hug:

I totally agree with this  :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 14:54:18 PM »
Well vet visit went o.k. lol, I went in with my 'demands'. Poor lass, agreed could have both metacam  and seraquin. But, had to have blood test before she would prescribe to check Tiffs liver and kidnies are strong enough for medication.  So results tomorrow and hopefully medication as well. What she is planning to do if they feel there is a problem with either I don't know.  Did comment she was not grooming as was shedding quite a bit. Made me smile as have groomed her 3 times today, but she will only put up with a few strokes around her back end. Am hoping the medication will help with this.  Also she jumped down from the table herself and explored the room ending up inside a cupboard  :rofl: Poor vet was a little bewildered by us just letting her wander about, but we knew she was just being nosey and we had the doors covered. So fingers crossed all will be well. Thank you all again for the advice. Carol x

Hope everything is ok for Tiffy.  :hug:

The bit about her wandering round the vets reminded me that Tigger (RIP) used to do the same thing. He would purr and head but the vet then wander off jumping on the computer keyboard, sticking his head in cupboards and drawers.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 23:47:27 PM »
Even with kidney issues metacam will give a better quality of life and its your decision not the vets, they can only advise  :hug: :hug:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 22:20:25 PM »
Carol let us know the blood results.
Julie.

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 20:36:28 PM »
Well vet visit went o.k. lol, I went in with my 'demands'. Poor lass, agreed could have both metacam  and seraquin. But, had to have blood test before she would prescribe to check Tiffs liver and kidnies are strong enough for medication.  So results tomorrow and hopefully medication as well. What she is planning to do if they feel there is a problem with either I don't know.  Did comment she was not grooming as was shedding quite a bit. Made me smile as have groomed her 3 times today, but she will only put up with a few strokes around her back end. Am hoping the medication will help with this.  Also she jumped down from the table herself and explored the room ending up inside a cupboard  :rofl: Poor vet was a little bewildered by us just letting her wander about, but we knew she was just being nosey and we had the doors covered. So fingers crossed all will be well. Thank you all again for the advice. Carol x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 20:01:13 PM »
Hope the vet visit did OK and 19 is great, Misa is only 14 but its thought he must have been in a road accident when he was young cos his back right leg has a pin and wires.

I got him when he was 4 so bwfore then,

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »
Carol good luck with Tiffy. For her to reach the age of 19 you must be doing something right. Yes seraquin is a supplement and perfectly safe to use with metacam. What I like about seraquin is it has the turmeric in it which is a natural anti inflammatory.
Julie.

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
Thank you all for your advice. Have Tiffy booked for vets today and will hold out for metacam. And bless her she has chosen today to be one of her good ones and is moving freely and just jumped directly onto husbands lap instead of via low table. Must have been the vet discussion last night she overheard. Think will get seraquin as well as it seems to be more of a supplement (if I read the web site correctly) so would be good to have as well.  Thanks again. Tiffy is 19 now, and for a cat with a weak heart who we were warned might not live long !!!!! does well. I agree that quality of life is most important and as her slaves we do try to ensure this as much as possible. Thanks again,  Carol x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 00:57:17 AM »
Forgot to say that Ducha went to the Bridge at 18yrs.

It wasnt Seroquin my vet also gave me for Misa bbut a capsule called Synoquin EFA which is prescription only and is new with dexahan in it as well as those in the other drug.

the capsules are meant to be opened and mixed in food but Misa wouldnt touch them.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 23:46:34 PM »

Just discovered you can buy glucosamine and chondroitin  for pets at Tesco

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=286614913

Gosh that is useful to know. Far cheap than seraquin.
Julie.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 21:07:57 PM »
I totally agree with you Gill. Far better to be pain-free, even if it does shorten the life-span a little.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 20:23:06 PM »
Misa wont touch Seraquin but eats his metacam in pate food ....gourmet.

The trick with him is about 2 teaspoons of pate mixed with water to make if a bit less gooie and he has 2 units of metacam mixed in. He then licks the lot up and then give him the rest of the pate mixed with water, if he doesnt eat it then Sasa does, she smells fish at a 1000 paces!

Misa also has arthritus in both back legs bottome of spine and top of tail and he can no longer jump up onto things, have to give him a stepping stool.

When he had the first flare up my vet gave him a matacam jabe which is stronger and then he was having 6 units of metacam cos the amount is according to weight of the cat and he is nearly 7kg, so basically 1 unit per kg.

It comes with a measuring syringe that goes on top of the little bottle and has units gauge on side.

It was hoped that once Misa recovered I would be able to get him down to 1 unit but he relapsed imediately and seems lowest to keep him moving is 2 units.

Metacam can make kidney probs worse but had my late 3 legged Ducha on it and he was extremely light and had kidney probs but the choice was pain free and slightly shorter life or pain for the rest of his life and imobility.

To me there was no choice and he loved metacam and would go to the bite of pate with it in first lol.

Misa now comes for his laced pate every night so maybe they learn that it makes them feel better.

Dont let your vet put you off cos its worth trying, a bit expensive but Misas current bottle has been used every day since Apr and only just feel I need to order a new one . Its about £15 and dont let them fob you off with a generic version cos its not so good and seems to cost more.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 17:24:54 PM »

Just discovered you can buy glucosamine and chondroitin  for pets at Tesco

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=286614913

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 17:11:08 PM »
I have had no problems with metacam either for any of mine. You need so little of it, and they never seem to notice it with food. I always use seraquin for my old cat with arthritis. It's a tablet, but flavoured and she gobbles it down each day like a treat. It has turmeric, glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate. It is not a prescription drug and you can get it from online vet pharmacies. Gracie eats it whole, but you could easily crush it and sprinkle it on food.
Julie.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 16:50:05 PM »
Liquid metacam popped on to a nice treat of soft food works here but I also have the injectable stuff as well
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
Any advice on tasteless pain relief please.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 14:55:14 PM »
Please can anyone advise what pain relief they use/have knowledge of which is tasteless. My Tiffy has arthritis in her hips and the pain killer from our vet is a tablet which I cannot get into her at all. She flately refuses food with it in and is quite frail (a!though with very sharp claws which she is not afraid to use !) so trying to give by mouth is is and always has been very very difficult. Is there a tasteless liquid you can get I could add to food or a natural remedy I could use. She is a very picky eater as well and picks up any additions in food. We do use reiki on her which she enjoys but are having to go away soon, so that is not possible. .  Any advice at all would be welcome. Thank you.  Carol

Link to CatChat