Author Topic: Reintroduction of a cat after visit to vet  (Read 2917 times)

Offline crazycats

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mitsy & Kizzy
Re: Reintroduction of a cat after visit to vet
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 21:46:13 PM »

Offline crazycats

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 21:44:00 PM »
I hope you can get your two to be friends again  ;D ;D
thanks - but after 3 months of trying i'm not so hopeful. we may seek out a local cat behaviourist for a visit and consultation as a last attempt at getting them back to normal.

Offline crazycats

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 21:40:26 PM »
...I am sure you have but have you tried rubbing one with a damp towel and then rubbing the other cat with it? How do they reactwith bed and blanket swapping?
Yes thanks we've tried using towels and socks to rub Mitsy's scent on to Kizzy.  They have a sniff of each other's blankets, bedding etc. but are not that bothered by it. No sign of aggression or hissing until Mitsy sees Kizzy.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 21:27:28 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,46007.0.html

I think this was the thread Gill mentioned??.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 21:26:21 PM »

It is very sad that this happened, they are beautiful cats.
A similar thing happened with my two. They are brothers, Astrophe and Zoonie. indoor cats and 17 months old.
Zoonie got out one night and ran away, he was gone for 17 hours until I found him. When I got him back, Astrophe was growling and hissing at him and attacking him. I put Zoonie in the litter tray which had used dry litter in that Astrophe had used and covered him in it, brushed him down and left them to sort themselves out, which they did in a day or two then peace and harmony were restored.

I hope you can get your two to be friends again  ;D ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 21:04:00 PM »
This is so sad and there is another thread running at present with same problem. Cant bloomin remember its title sorry.

Their situation was getting slowly better and nowhere as long as yours.

This is so unusual and two have two sets of cats like this is crazy.

I am sure you have but have you tried rubbing one with a damp towel and then rubbing the other cat with it?

How do they reactwith bed and blanket swapping?

Offline crazycats

• Kitten
Reintroduction of a cat after visit to vet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 20:34:32 PM »
We have two six year-old female cats, named Mitsy and Kizzy, both from the same litter and adopted together from an animal rescue centre when they were three months old.

They have been indoor cats since birth, and lived happily together up until the day that Kizzy had to stay overnight at the vets.  When Kizzy was brought back to the house the following day Mitsy exhibited territorial aggression as if she had never met Kizzy before.  We assumed this was due to the smell of the vets and other animals and hoped this would wear off within a few hours or days once she realised that it was her sister. 

That was about three months ago and the situation has not improved.  Initially the vet advised us to keep them apart in separate parts of the house and to introduce them to each other one sense at a time i.e. by first exchanging their scent by sharing their bedding, food bowls, socks, towels etc., and then next a few days later by sight only e.g. by feeding at the same time either side of a glass door, and then finally by both sight and smell e.g. by opening the glass door a little at a time.  During this period we used a feline pheromone diffuser and spray.  However, as soon as Mitsy has sight of Kizzy she becomes territorial e.g. by staring, hissing, or standing on her back legs and pawing the glass door.  We also bought a cat behaviour book and restarted the reintroduction process all over again but this also failed to work.  As Kizzy is the victim, she has the run of the house with Mitsy staying mostly in one room, and once or twice a day they get to swap around, the only dividing line being the pet screen door. 

Most of the time Kizzy just seems confused about all the fuss, but on one occasion she did mirror the same standing and pawing action on the other side of the door, perhaps in a defensive way.  We recently installed a pet screen door in the hope that a combination of scent and smell would help, considering that Mitsy does not appear too bothered about smell, since they happily use each other’s litter trays, feeding bowls and scratching posts.  We stopped using the feline pheromone diffuser and spray a few weeks ago as it was expensive and ineffective at dealing with territorial aggression.

Both cats appear to be fairly content to live this way, but with segregated areas and closed doors it’s like living in a zoo.

If you've had a similar experience and been able to solve it then please can you share your story?

Thanks.

Link to CatChat