Author Topic: A question and an update from us!  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: A question and an update from us!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 15:59:58 PM »
Cats hide pain so well and didnt know my Misa was in terrible pain until he couldnt stand up and couldnt walk, even two vets could not understand why as he also showed no pain reaction when tested.

However metacam helped but as soon as it was stopped he went straight downhill again.

Decided to let vet do all the tests possible including xrays and nearly ........dam the keyboards changed again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............1000 squids for one day the reason was discovered.

Seems he had been in a road accident before I got him at 4yrs and he has a huge pin and wires in back right leg and that leg is the worst but he has bad arthritus in both legs, lower spin and top of tail.

So please see a vet for Archie.

I asked how old because it sounded like dementia and cats become very very noisy.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 09:21:06 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Rosella moggy, I hadn't seen your thread but will read now. I don't think he is in pain as he will sit in the living room and shout. No one is near him and he doesn't look uncomfortable. I will take him to the vets though, in case there is a health problem or we needba referral.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
Mmmmmmm.  It might be helpful to concentrate for now on trying to help BR with Archie's current problem?  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:18 AM »
Dear Blue Rabbit

I am hoping you can help with my problem.  The problem is two of my existing cats are showing symptoms that they may be struggling to living in a multi cat household.  I have previously introduced other cats, but this have not worked out and have needed two to be rehomed. I adore cats and would love to have another and have already been in touch with the breeder, to whom one of the previous cats has been returned, and am intending to buy another one later in the year. Do you think I should accept that maybe I need to sort out the problems with my existing cats and make sure they are happy or go ahead and probably create more problems and upset that may result in me having to rehome another cat?

What is your advice?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »
....problem is Archie's behaviour.......... his peeing on the bed to mark territory and his constant screeching

Is there anything we can do to discourage the amount of noise he makes? It really can't continue, it's making me so stressed and my son constantly exhausted.

I think a vet visit would be very helpful  :hug:  I have not come across HsHa and am not a fan of Wiki tbh for information on cat health.  This may be cystitis.

Not sure what you mean by "screeching" but I would be concerned this might mean he is in pain.  At least he is peeing though so hopefully that rules out a blockage which could be dangerous.  I have "been there done that" so to speak with our Dinah who suffers from stress related cystitis on and off.  We helped her with pain killers and a change of diet.  We currently seem to have a "wee" bit of a problem with our Boris too.  Think it may come with the territory in a multicat household but thankfully our problem seems infrequent (touches wood!)

I've just looked at one of your previous posts where you mention Archie has always been quite different (Special needs cat I think you said) and that he has suffered from cystitis in the past and you have cystease on hand.  Have you seen my recent thread re Boris? 

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,46047.msg828713.html#msg828713 

I think Boris may have been helped by the Yurileive capsules and Dinah's RC Urinary dry food.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:08:09 AM by Rosella moggy »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:22 AM »
In my humble opinion you need to see a vet about Archie as this diagnosis needs a professional to confirm, advise etc.

It could be something completely different!

I think getting another cat will not help Archie and the situation would not be good for another cat.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 23:11:30 PM »
I didn't "get rid" of two cats?

Without meaning to sound rude, the thread isn't about another cat. It's a question about helping Archie to calm down a bit so he isn't waking up my son.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 22:24:09 PM »
I totally agree with the others - why get another cat especially from a breeder. I would never get rid of two cats then think of getting another for what ever reason. Lots of cats in a household is never ideal most people end up in the situation because they take on unwanted cats. Why do you want another cat?   

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 20:47:58 PM »
How old is Archie?

Cant think what ADHD stands for.

It's attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It's proper name is Feline HsHa syndrome http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/HsHa

I don't think anyone is saying you can't cope, but I know myself from having a cat with behavioural problems that it can be rather wearing, along with babies and getting a new kittens it sounds like a lot of work!

yes the vet should be able to point you to a behaviourist

Thank you :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 20:42:01 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying you can't cope, but I know myself from having a cat with behavioural problems that it can be rather wearing, along with babies and getting a new kittens it sounds like a lot of work!

yes the vet should be able to point you to a behaviourist

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 20:37:31 PM »
Archie is 2. He has always had behavioural problems, none of which are associated wih a health problem. I haven't been to see a vet re ADHD, just my own research which is far from concrete. I wasn't sure how to go forward with him but if a vet visit is needed for a referral to a behaviourist, then I'll get him booked in.

I don't see an issue with another cat - his behaviour isn't cat related, he has always been like this. It has, unfortunately, gotten worse in the last few weeks. Previously it was completely manageable. The two that have gone have gone because they were unhappy, not because we couldn't cope.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 20:39:15 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 20:25:10 PM »
please reconsidering adding to the mix, you've already had to give up two why make it hard for yourself - what has the vet said about archie, was it the vet who suggested adhd?

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 20:22:19 PM »
I would suggest getting the help of a behaviourist, your vet will probably be able to point you in the direction of a reputable one - I assume Archie has been seen by a vet to rule out any illness as the cause of the problems.

I must admit, that with your current problems and those you have had previously, I can't understand why you are even contemplating the addition of another cat, it just seems to be asking for more problems and upset for those you have now. Perhaps if you do employ a behaviourist they will be able to give an indication of how that would be likely to go.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 20:05:47 PM »
How old is Archie?

Cant think what ADHD stands for.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
A question and an update from us!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 19:55:13 PM »
Hi everyone! Struggling to get online but having a bit of a problem with the Archienator.

First though, an update! Link has been rehomed - our home just wasn't suitable for him. He needed more space to run around and his excessive affection with everyone was causing high stress levels with the older ones. They just can't cope with that much love! He is much happier in his new home and our lot are significantly happier. It was a hard decision but best for all involved.

Another difficult and utterly heartbreaking decision was that Humph was returned to his breeder. He was losing a lot, and I mean a lot, of weight, he was refusing to leave the cat tree unless it was for food or the toilet and he was very obviously unhappy. His relationship with Jerry had consistently worsened despite his and our best efforts. We suspect this is down to Jerry - as our top cat he dislikes anyone bigger than him. He has taken Zelda under his wing but refused to accept Humph, so we have concluded that as long as they're kittens when he meets them, he deems them ok. In light of this, Humph's breeder has kindly offered us a kitten from a future litter. This will likely be around Christmas at the earliest, which gives us plenty of time to work on our current problem.

That problem is Archie's behaviour. He has become food aggressive again, so we will have to do separate meals for him again. No huge issue really. The bigger problems are his peeing on the bed to mark territory and his constant screeching.

We have shut the bedroom door now, primarily to stop him weeing on the bed but also to keep them all used to the fact that, when the new baby arrives, that room will be shut off when baby is in it. We are emptying litter trays daily and he's still going on the bed even when they've just been done. He has also hissed and growled at Ben when he tried to enter the bedroom as Archie was leaving. Is there anything we can do to help encourage him to feel like this is his territory alongside the other cats?

His screeching is also a big issue - he has always been a bit of a talker but it's going to a whole new level. He will sit in the bathroom and wail over apparently nothing. The bathroom is right next to our son's bedroom and he's being woken up daily, either during his daytime naps or at nighttime. My son is a nightmare to get to sleep, it took an hour to get him to sleep this afternoon and within 10 minutes of him going, Archie was outside his door screeching. Cue my son waking up, refusing to go back to sleep and me having an extremely miserable, grizzly baby all afternoon. I'm at the end of my tether with him, his shouts and wails don't stop. He used to sit with us on the sofa but now he will moan, get on the sofa for a cuddle, get down after 5 minutes and then wail again for cuddles.

I think he has feline ADHD, everything I've read suggests he has it but I'm unsure of how to go about getting a diagnosis if indeed we can get one. Any thoughts? Is there anything we can do to discourage the amount of noise he makes? It really can't continue, it's making me so stressed and my son constantly exhausted.

Thanks in advance guys

Link to CatChat