Author Topic: Anyone had any experience of Yurilieve for urinary problems in cats?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: Anyone had any experience of Yurilieve for urinary problems in cats?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 23:23:45 PM »
This handbook about caring for feral cats is also quite useful for tips on caring for ferals with urinary problems that you can't just dose easily like our pet cats.
Julie.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/uploads/File/Resources/NC%20TNR%20Handbook_WEB_v5-4.pdf

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 23:12:53 PM »
In case anyone is interested, here is the article I found about the use of vit c for cystitis. It's about a colony of feral cats. But it was the only source I came across that explained the different forms of vitamin C and which one to use. I thought the whole article very interesting, and very sensible and well researched. It's not always easy to get hold of the correct information.
Julie.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how_to_nutrition

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 23:03:09 PM »
Thanks Rosella and Slugsta. It's hard work taking care of Frodo. But well worth it. He was a very sick cat and I thought I would lose him at Christmas.He had lost three pounds in weight and was hardly eating.  The vet was so unhelpful because he didn't approve of me feeding Frodo a raw diet. I told the vet Frodo couldn't have a renal diet because of his cystitis problem. He as good as told me I was giving Frodo a death sentence if I carried on feeding the raw. When I gave Frodo the renal diet, two days later he was in terrible pain and peeing blood. The vet said it couldn't possibly be the renal food and gave him anti biotics. It was awful, Frodo was climbing over everything trying to pee. So I put him back on the raw, and gave him high doses of ascorbic acid. Within 24 hours he was peeing normally. And by 48 hours not a trace of blood in his urine. I decided to do my own thing and put him on the Denes greenleaf and kidney support, and ordered the renalzin from the internet. I have a little dish to catch his urine to test if I can catch it, which tells me how much vit c to give him, and how much protein he is absorbing. He is eating well now and put on a bit of weight. He enjoys sitting outside in my enclosed garden when it is sunny, and appears to have a good quality of life. I know he can't go on forever, but for now I know he wants to live. I just take one day at a time with him.
Julie.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 16:23:42 PM »
I'm very glad that Boris seems to be better  ;D

Julie, you are doing a great job with Frodo!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
Oh poor Frodo and poor you Julie  :hug: :hug: :hug:  It's all so complicated and esp when you have to manage his kidney problems  :( :(

I was a bit naughty and, altho Boris wasn't crying out when urinating, I gave Boris two days of metacam. With that, the yurilieve capsules and the urinary dry biscuits to supplement his normal wet food, our lad is back to his bright bubbly self since yesterday altho still peeing up the side of the litter container  :-:  Will see how we go for a week or so on the capsules and urinary diet biscuits and then get another urine sample checked I think. 

Sending every good wish for Frodo Julie.  I've been on the CRF wheel with our beautiful Fred and it's anything but an easy ride  :(

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:22:39 AM »
Not used yurilieve. My Frodo has a problem with cystitis. His is triggered by food with veg or cereal in as it makes his urine alkaline. Feeding a raw diet stopped the cystitis. But now he is 15, after being on raw for 11 years, the cystitis started again after the vet told me to put him on a renal diet. I put him back on the raw and gave him ascorbic acid to change his urine back to acid. The cystitis stopped. It was awful on the renal diet, peeing frank blood and crying out.  Because I give him meds for the CKD, it tends to make his urine alkaline again. So as a precaution, I give him vitamin C twice daily. It has to be the ascorbic acid version as that turns the urine acid. Being water soluble it is quickly washed out of the system with a cat drinking a lot. Hence giving it twice a day. But of course each cat is different. I know what triggers Frodo's, and luckily am able to control it. As well as the vit C, he also has Denes greenleaf capsules, and Denes kidney support twice daily along with his Renalzin for CKD. I also have just started giving him on Kitzyme healthy cat with zinc and cranberry. There is no evidence cranberry helps cats with urine problems, but as there are other things in it to help the immune system, I guess at least it won't harm.
Julie.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 13:13:15 PM »

Poor Boris  :hug:
Tigger just had the dry food for his cystitis, Rosella, so I can't help with that, sorry  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Anyone had any experience of Yurilieve for urinary problems in cats?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
Boris has a urinary problem  :(; some form of cystitis.  Vet has initially given him Yurilieve capsules which was only launched last November.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience as to whether any good or not.

Supposedly better than Cystease which we had for Dinah's cystitis.  If no improvement in a week or so, Boris will need ABs. 

Link to CatChat