Author Topic: Drum keeps coughing/retching  (Read 4040 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Drum keeps coughing/retching
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 21:57:14 PM »
It does sound likely :shify:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 21:34:03 PM »
They're both a lot better today, although Drum had a brief coughing fit this evening.

OH and I suddenly remembered that we got them new cat litter last week. Could they be allergic to it? It's a different brand but the same type they usually have (wood chip). I've now replaced it with Tesco's, which they've had before. I'll be really annoyed if it is the cause - although relieved there's nothing wrong with them.

The litter is made by Husse and is called Eco Kattstro - the leaflet says it's free from additives and perfume.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 21:36:37 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 01:41:01 AM »
Hope both are settled again now............very strange.

Lupin got a blade of grass stuck in throat but had to have an anesthetic for them to find it and remove it

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 00:13:30 AM »
I hope that whatever it was has settled now!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »

Well then, I'm flummoxed  ;D

Cats eh !!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »
They go out in the garden but I don't think there's anything they could eat except grass. They never catch anything (apart from the occasional moth) and never show interest in any of the plants.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
Well, neither the vet nor the (expensive!) blood test could find anything wrong. The vet said it could be nausea and gave her an injection for it, and Drum really perked up later and was pretty much back to her old self by bedtime.

However, about 20 minutes ago Bass started retching and gagging while she was eating. I've just had to follow her around the house, mopping up little pools of sick :sick: and trying to keep her off the bed!

She seems to have calmed down a bit now but is still gulping very slightly - possibly her throat hurts after all the retching.

What on earth is going on? Some sort of retching virus? :Crazy:

Do they go outside? They could have eaten something that doesn't agree with them

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »
Well, neither the vet nor the (expensive!) blood test could find anything wrong. The vet said it could be nausea and gave her an injection for it, and Drum really perked up later and was pretty much back to her old self by bedtime.

However, about 20 minutes ago Bass started retching and gagging while she was eating. I've just had to follow her around the house, mopping up little pools of sick :sick: and trying to keep her off the bed!

She seems to have calmed down a bit now but is still gulping very slightly - possibly her throat hurts after all the retching.

What on earth is going on? Some sort of retching virus? :Crazy:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 20:55:57 PM »
Maybe a bit of grass has grazed the throat as grass can have sharp edges. That would irritate and cause coughing and retching. I would have thought if it was acid in stomach caused by CKD she would be vomiting small brown pools. I hope it is nothing serious. Such a worry for you.
Julie.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 20:39:21 PM »
any news? This has happened to two of my cats and the grass was stuck through the nose and in to the throat making them gag all the time. Hope she is sorted now x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 16:51:54 PM »
Here's hoping this is something that is easily fixed.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 15:16:09 PM »

I hope it is nothing serious  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 13:36:27 PM »
 Yes she could have a blade of grass stuck in throat and good you will be seeing vet cos if anything is suck it needs to be to be removed asap.

good luck  :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Drum keeps coughing/retching
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
Drum's been really under the weather since last night - she's moving around slowly and is definitely not her chatty self. She keeps coughing/retching, especially when she tries to eat, and doing what I can only describe as a kind of gulping motion - as if she's having trouble swallowing.

She eats a lot of grass so could she have got a blade stuck in her throat?

She has chronic kidney disease - so far, not bad enough to be treated but from what I've read, it can cause stomach acid so I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

I've made an appointment at the vet for later today, which I didn't want to do cos it stresses her terribly but I can't risk her getting worse over the weekend and having to get an emergency appoinment.

Link to CatChat