Author Topic: Spaying at 5 months, opinions please?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Spaying at 5 months, opinions please?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 20:48:47 PM »
When I was at the vets waiting to pick up Kito I was chatting to the staff about kittens (one of the staff is hand rearing a 4 week old kitten - I saw the same kitten 4 weeks ago when she was only about 3 days old and abandoned).  They had a cat and 4 kittens left outside the surgery yesterday and they estimate mum's age as 6-9 months.  Poor thing having kittens when she's still a baby herself.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 20:34:43 PM »
The nice vet (Simon, definitely making sure that she sees him in future) said she had beautiful markings, was a lovely little cat and that she  was healthy and a good weight, like an idiot I didn't ask what weight she was. She is booked in for Wednesday to be spayed. :(, I haven't told her that a needle will be involved :innocent:, or that her side and leg will be bald, bad Meowmy :rofl:)

I said to my Supervisor at work that I was sorry, she was doing additional training, I had to leave as Bob was due to go to vets for pre-assessment as I couldn't have my kitten having kittens, she was totally understanding as Bob originally went from her to my other colleague that couldn't keep her. apparently she got caught out with Bob's mother.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
I'd absolutely go for it if your vet is ok about it.  They can be done when quite small.  How much does she weigh?  You definitely want to get her done before she comes into season as it gets a bit more complicated then.  Many are spayed/castrated at 10-12 weeks these days (some breeders do it before they go to their new homes).

I know it's different for boys but Kito has gone in for castration today.  He's not yet 5 months but a good size and lets just say you can tell he's a boy from the other side of the room!  :rofl:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
I'd go with it as well. Callie was only 5 months too and weighed I think about 1.5kg which they said was fine to spay. Some vets go by weight. My friend has they tiniest cat you ever saw and she still is tiny but she started in heat at 5 months and had to be kept in which was tricky as she kept trying to nip out.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »
Ditto what Dawn said with Millie Paula.

£83.50!  Isn't that expensive  :shify: or am I turning into my mother?  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
tilly was done at 5 months, she was actually in season when they did the op!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 23:16:26 PM »
As long as she is in good health there shouldn't be a problem, 3 or 4 month neutering is becoming more common. If you are concerned about your vets Cats Protection have a list of vets that routinely perform early neutering  http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/enr/menu-early-neutering

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 22:56:32 PM »
I'll see what they say tomorrow, I did trust them, but since David retired I am not so sure. They are getting very big now, and after the Aussie lady said that Bob wasn't the runt but an egg fertilised a few weeks after the others I am not so confident. She hasn't grown into her eyes and ears yet and still looks like a lemur :Luv2: :rofl:. Still better an early sterilisation than a litter when she is still a big kitten herself. Plus the cancer benefits as well.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 20:36:42 PM »

I'd go for it. A tom can smell a female in season from over a 1km  away and they do start young.

Cats protection recommend having your cat done at 4 months
http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/enr

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 20:14:21 PM »
If they are your normal vets...........do you trust them normally?

If so go for it, ask the question about her size.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Spaying at 5 months, opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 19:58:53 PM »
Bob, aka Boblet started flirting with Trouble last night, rubbing faces and sticking her rear end in his face, tail cocked, she is going for a pre-op check-up tomorrow. They are saying to operate next week but I am a bit worried about her size, she is still tiny and still hasn't grown into her eyes and ears. She still looks like an opossum. I am also worried that now she is going out into the fenced back garden while I am out there that if she is a 'silent caller' that a tom will come in and leap on her before I can stop anything happening. Now she is used to going out, albeit under supervision, it is really difficult to stop her darting out the back door when it gets opened. I am not worried about Trouble who was neutered years ago and isn't interested.

If they say it is okay to go ahead, do I trust them or are they just after the £83.50 it will cost? They'll get it in a months time anyway?

Link to CatChat