Author Topic: Outdoor Vs Indoor  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Outdoor Vs Indoor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 16:53:25 PM »
I think one of the main things is if they are indoors you need to take much more responsibility for entertaining them. My two are indoor as I live in a flat but they have never been out. Buffy will sometimes sit on the front step with me but that's it. I play with them a lot and am always trying out new toys and drugs like valerian, catnip and the latest one silver vine. I have two so they play together a lot. I've planted up a big pot with plant for them to chew on especially cat grass. They have a big climbing tree and it's a good idea to put shelves for them to climb to different higher areas. 

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 16:12:19 PM »
This is the eternal dilemma.
There is much to be said for either option.
My cats are all outdoor, they have a cat flap and go in and out as they please. I live in a very quiet area with a park nearby, so I deliberately adopted cats that could never be happy as indoor cats, as they are harder to find good homes for. I have had cats for nearly 20 years, 17 in total, and even in my quiet neighbourhood, two of them were killed by a car.

Tosca once hurt herself - not traffic related - and needed to be kept in for months, because the wound didn't heal properly. She got so depressed I gave the vet an ultimatum: either to do a skin transplant so the wound would heal and she would be able to go out again, or to put her to sleep. My lovely girl was so depressed life no longer held any joy for her. Fortunately the transplant worked, and once she could go out again, she immediately went back to her own happy self.

Of course, I am worried sick if any of them stay out longer than usual, and my greatest fear is losing another cat to a traffic accident. But it is a choice I made by adopting cats that really needed to go out. If I had had cats that would thrive as indoor only cats, I would probably have cat-proofed my garden a long time ago, and if I could move to a place that was even safer for them, I would in an instant.

You might try to keep him indoors for the time being and see if he can adjust to his new lifestyle. If not, you will have to reconsider the pros and cons.

Offline RhiannonRage

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Ozzy
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 18:35:46 PM »
Thanks Gill, will move to health and behavior!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 18:32:44 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

It would be better for your post to go in either general cat chat or health and behavior, the latter probably.

If you hit the home button you will then see all sections of purrs And it needs to go into the general part of health and behavior where most of the posts are.

Give the thread a meaningful title and then copy and paste all you have writtn into it.

Shredded claws are a classic sign of being hit by a car and he was very very lucky.

I wont comment any further but wait for the new thread.

Offline RhiannonRage

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Ozzy
Outdoor Vs Indoor
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 17:45:36 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum (along with my dear sweet boy, Ozzy).  Apologies if I'm positing in the incorrect section of the forum, but I'm not quite sure where this should go.

So basically, Ozzy, my two year old black moggy was involved in an altercation on Thursday night. I had been out for a couple of hours, returning at approximately 10:30 and noticed Ozzy was limping.  On closer inspection, I could see that the majority of his claws looked as though they had been ripped (they were all really quite jagged and split).  Ozzy also had a a mark to the left side of his nose which looked as though had been bleeding.  Ozzy was barely able to put any pressure on his back left leg and wouldn't let me touch it.  I didn't feel that he required urgent attention as he was full alert, still incredibly chatty and was eating and drinking without any issues.  I made the decision that I would call the vet first thing in the morning and get him booked in.  I went up to bed, and Ozzy followed and slept at the foot of my bed (something which he hasn't done since he was a kitten - he very much likes his own space).  I barely closed my eyes for worrying about him, but he seemed content enough.

I called the vet first thing and was very fortunate to be told to bring him straight in.  Ozzy protested greatly when he saw the dreaded cat carrier appear.  Off we went to the vet for an examination.  The vet gave Ozzy a thorough check over, examining his paws, claws, eyes and his legs and very luckily for Ozzy, nothing was broken and the vet wasn't too concerned. The vet suggested that Ozzy had in fact been knocked over due to his claws being in such a mess.  The thought had entered my mind the previous night but I genuinely believed he may have just fallen from something, using his claws to try and stop himself on the way down.  The vet administered Ozzy with a pain killing injection and gave me some more anti-inflammatory medication to give him over the next few days. 

Luckily, Ozzy is absolutely fine, albeit incredibly grouchy as he is under house arrest and is likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future.  I now have a huge dilemma on my hands - do I keep Ozzy in for the rest of his days or allow him out once he's recovered? I honestly feel that I personally wouldn't rest whilst he was out but I fear Ozzy will become depressed (he really does love going outside).  Has anyone had any experience of converting their outdoor kitty to the indoors? I've been looking at outside runs and enclosures - does anyone use one? I figured taking the enclosure/run route is the only happy medium I can come to - I have peace of mind knowing that Ozzy won't be in harms way and Ozzy will still get to have fresh air.  Would this be too cruel, keeping him penned in outside for a couple of hours when he's previously had the freedom to roam?  Or would it be more cruel to keep him indoors and not let him feel the air on his whiskers?  I'm only three full days in of him being under house arrest and he looks at me with these big sad eyes and then at the door, crying.  If anyone has any tips they can pass on, or advice to offer I'd be super grateful.  Ozzy is such a happy little boy and I'd had the thought of him being down because he can no longer go out.   

Many thanks in advance,

Rhi

Link to CatChat