Author Topic: Mosi not eating - synulox drops to blame?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Mosi not eating - synulox drops to blame?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
sorry I've not updated here.  Mosi is eating better now after having his mouth cleaned at the vets.  Not great but he is showing interest in food and eating.  Especially when it's dreamies!  He's on a different AB now so hopefully that will help his mouth as he almost certainly has a bacterial infection.  I've got some Hills AD which he seems to like.

The thing on his tongue has been confirmed as an eosinophilic granuloma.  don't know what we're going to do about that long term (possibly nothing if he's not showing any other symptoms) but for now just sorting his mouth out and giving him worm and flea treatment.  He's up to date with flea treatment but hasn't been wormed for a couple of months.  The vet said parasites can carry eosinophils or something so best to make sure he doesn't have any worms.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 16:12:03 PM »
Its the supplier to blame but Tescos get all the different codes of felix and can vary from one week to the next.......have stopped looking at the codes.

However I dont just feed felix but costs an arm an a leg to keep stocks of all in!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »

I had to hand feed/throw it for him (and if it lands too far away he doesn't go after it)
That sounds familiar  ;D ;D The look on their faces if they have to move  :-:

Glad Mosi is eating Susanne  ;D
Wish my two would. It's not that there is anything wrong with them It's the food. I don't know what Felix do with it but it's different every few weeks. At the moment it's like glue and they don't like it.
Problem is I can't do anything about it till Wednesday

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
Didnt know that and none of mine have ever had a problem.

Pleased Mosi is eating  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
Mosi is eating  ;D

Kito's breeder gave me a pouch of sainsburys premium food to try with him so I put half a pouch in his dish yesterday evening.  I didn't really expect him to eat it so when I went back into the bedroom expecting to have to persuade him to try some I was delighted to find his dish empty.  I put the rest in his dish and it's empty again this morning  ;D ;D

I will need to tell the vet I have stopped the AB (I'm sure that's what caused the loss of appetite) and see what she wants to do. She may want to try a different one or may want to just look at his mouth and see whether she thinks he needs ABs.  The trouble with convenia, Gill, is that loss of appetite is a possible side effect of that too and if he's reacted to the synulox in this way he may well react to convenia the same.  And with a long lasting injection you can't get it out of his system until it's ran it's course.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
I still think you need to get vet advice and understand how you are feelimg about Mosi and Kito and horrible timing.

Its so important to get Mosi healthy, how about suggest convenia jab to them?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 07:29:53 AM »
I managed to get him to eat a reasonable amount last night.  I say last night but it was about 1.30am this morning as I fell asleep on the sofa earlier and was woken by Mosi (it was nice to see him behaving normally by tapping me with his paw!).  He still wouldn't eat voluntarily but I managed to throw bits of ham for him and he ate a fair bit although it had to fall in the right way and at the right place!  Some he would ignore but if I threw it again and it landed differently he would eat it!  I then gave him some dry food.  I know the vet said to feed soft food but I thought I'd try a bit as the Applaws kibble size is small and it is a way of getting some complete, balanced food into him and concentrated calories.  He ate a fair bit of that in the same way (throwing pieces for him - I do that with his treats and he likes to chase them).  So although he didn't really  have enough to eat yesterday and it was hard work getting it into him, he did eat a fair bit of food during the course of the day.  He won't eat a thing this morning but to be fair it is only 6 hours since he had a reasonable size meal of ham and Applaws dry so I won't press him right now but he will have to eat something later.  He is still quiet and lethargic but moving around.  He's on my knee right now.  Although he seems quiet and withdrawn he walks around with his tail in the air, can jump up onto things etc.  It's not like he's lying in his bed refusing to move although he is sleeping more.  I struggled to get the AB into him last night and tbh I think I may not bother this morning.  I know I should give it to him or should at least ring the vet before stopping it but if I ring the emergency vet it won't be the vet that is treating him.  I know they can still see his notes and give advice but if they say bring him in I can't really right now (obviously I would if it was clearly an emergency) so I may see whether he perks up and eats once the AB is out of his system.  He may then need a different AB.   I will ring the vet tomorrow regardless.

I am going to collect Kito this morning.  I'm very stressed about it all as it's not meant to be like this.  I should be excited and not stressed - only a little nervous about introductions.  But instead I'm so worried about Mosi that I can't be happy about Kito even though I desperately want him.  In some way I sort of resent Mosi for being ill right now but you Know I don't really mean that and love him to bits and obviously he can't help it.  But this is such horrible timing and I'm going to end up going from room to room trying to get Mosi to eat then going back to Kito and maybe even having to take Mosi to the vet.  All this trying to get Mosi to eat is reminding me so much of how it was with Jaffa so that is upsetting me too. 

ETA Mosi has just eaten some dry food  ;D  I had to hand feed/throw it for him (and if it lands too far away he doesn't go after it) but he's eaten probably about 15g dry and a couple of pieces of ham so I'm happy he's had something.  I'm going to cook some fish for tea as Kito likes fish apparently so they can (hopefully) share a fillet of fish.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:18:16 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 20:39:26 PM »
Poor Mosi! I do hope he is back to normal soon.

Did you decide to leave Kito where he is for a while?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 17:05:04 PM »
I think I've discovered the food he can't resist - wafer thin ham!  He's not exactly eating it by the slice but he ate several pieces of that this afternoon.  Now he's eaten about 3/4 of a fillet of white fish and a few more mouthfuls of ham.  He's not exactly enthusiastic about it but at least he is eating something.  No more diarrhoea or vomiting.  He's moving around, jumping up onto things, is responsive if I call him etc. although he's not the bouncy Mosi he usually is.   I spoke to the vet yesterday evening and I don't think it's an emergency as long as he's eating something and not overly lethargic or constantly vomiting.  It's just worrying.   I will try to get some more ham down him a bit later and then will have to give him his next antibiotic. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 13:44:36 PM »
Metacam and suspecr the one you have needs to be taken with food so if he is not eating maybe it could be that?

Wonder about his tongue where they took the biopsy?

I think you need vet advise................do you have a Pets at Home with a vet, mine says they are there every day.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »
I think you should grab any kip whilst you can Susanne  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
....... the vet found a lesion on his tongue (at the back so where you would not see it by looking in his mouth).  She thinks it is an eosinophilic granuloma but has taken a biopsy so that will get sent away.  I should find out results on Monday.  As I understand it, this is an inflammatory/allergic kind of thing with various causes.  Anyone know much about these?  The main problem right now is that there is likely to be secondary bacteria and she recommended I keep him separate from Kito until we know what it is.  .....  He has a large gap where the canine tooth came out (she didn't suture it because there was pus) .......... She said to avoid dry food for now and give him wet and quite runny.  ....... He has Synulox drops to take for 10 days.

Just thought I'd fill in the other detail you posted previously Susanne in case it helps  :hug:

Good idea.

He has eaten a little bit and is now having a sleep.  I'm going to Tesco later and will get some frozen coley.  Kito likes that and hopefully Mosi will enjoy a few bites.

I wish I hadn't got up at 6am now!  Got up as I was planning to leave to collect Kito at about 8.30 but as I'm not now I think I will go back to bed!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
....... the vet found a lesion on his tongue (at the back so where you would not see it by looking in his mouth).  She thinks it is an eosinophilic granuloma but has taken a biopsy so that will get sent away.  I should find out results on Monday.  As I understand it, this is an inflammatory/allergic kind of thing with various causes.  Anyone know much about these?  The main problem right now is that there is likely to be secondary bacteria and she recommended I keep him separate from Kito until we know what it is.  .....  He has a large gap where the canine tooth came out (she didn't suture it because there was pus) .......... She said to avoid dry food for now and give him wet and quite runny.  ....... He has Synulox drops to take for 10 days.

Just thought I'd fill in the other detail you posted previously Susanne in case it helps  :hug:

I would ring emergency vet for advice.  As you say, could be either the ABs or painkiller or something else entirely.  I found this re painkillers:

During and after NSAID therapy, monitor your pet for side effects, such as vomiting, diarrhea, bloody or tar-colored stool, decreased appetite, decreased activity level, yellowing of the whites of the eyes, and yellowing of the gums. These signs can occur even in a previously healthy pet. If you notice any side effects, stop giving the drug and call your veterinarian.

I have no experience of Loxicom but seems it is a generic version of Metacam altho seems more expensive for some reason  :-:

Sending every best wish for you beautiful boy  :care:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Mosi not eating - synulox drops to blame?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »
Mosi had dental surgery on Wednesday - 2 teeth out.  When he came home he was fine although a little quiet which was understandable.  He ate ok at both teatime and bedtime.  He ate fine on Thursday too.  He did a poo on Thursday evening which was firm and normal.  He seemed bouncier and back to the Mosi we all know and love by bedtime on Thursday and the same on Friday morning.  He didn't eat all his breakfast yesterday but ate most of it.  I've been putting some of the AB in his food so I think that has put him off a bit.  The AB is Synulox drops.

However, yesterday he wouldn't touch his tea and I couldn't even tempt him with treats of cheese (which he loves).  I rang the vet and after some discussion they gave me some pain meds for him (Loxicom which is the same as Metacam).  I gave him a dose of that as soon as I got back from collecting it.  A couple of hours later and after a sleep he seemed a bit brighter and he ate a small amount of his favourite cat food.  This morning, however, we are back to him refusing to eat anything.  In addition he's now got diarrhoea and has vomited once.  I can't tempt him with anything.  He's walking around and while he's not his normal self he doesn't seem too unwell.  Quieter but climbing on things and walking around with his tail in the air.  He's now crouched on his cat tree bed looking a bit sorry for himself.  I'm going to get him some white fish as I meant to get some in for Kito anyway since he likes it.  I'm not overly confident though as he's never been mad keen on fish and if he can't be tempted with cheese I can't see fish doing the trick.  will try it anyway.

I know that ABs can cause upset stomachs and vomiting/diarrhoea/lack of appetite can be side effects of Loxicom.  The difficulty is that he refused to eat before he had any Loxicom so I can't pin the refusal to eat on that.  I'm not convinced now that pain is stopping him from eating - even if his mouth was sore I think he'd still eat a bit of soft food - but I suspect the Synulox may be causing some lack of appetite and nausea.  Being Saturday, I can't get an alternative from the vet so need to either continue with that or stop giving it.  I know it's not a good idea to stop giving ABs after just a couple of days - can actually make things worse - but I'm worried that if he doesn't eat he will get really ill.  I'm also getting a bit worried about fluid intake if he doesn't eat.

Has anyone had these problems with Synulox?  Should I keep giving it to him?

Link to CatChat