Author Topic: Spray deterrent for cables  (Read 2566 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: Spray deterrent for cables
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:48:15 AM »
White vinegar and a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a spray stopped my chinchilla from chewing wood and cables when she was running loose around the house. Cats also hate white vinegar. Tabasco sauce works, but is so messy.
Julie.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
Grannicks Bitter Apple spray from Amazon, my lot detest it I even use it on my hands to stop young cats gnawing on me at play.

Must dig it out  :innocent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grannicks-118AT-Bitter-Apple-Spray/dp/B0002DHPRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434061707&sr=8-1&keywords=bitter+apple+spray+for+dogs

Got some of that  ;D  I couldn't find the other one in pets at home so decided to not bother as the breeder had reassured me he did not chew cables.  However, when I was ordering some flea and worm treatment from Animed I noticed the bitter apple spray so bought some.  Not used it on any cables yet but might do so soon as Kito is chewing a bit now (think he's teething).  He's not attempted to chew any cables but better safe than sorry.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 23:29:30 PM »
Grannicks Bitter Apple spray from Amazon, my lot detest it I even use it on my hands to stop young cats gnawing on me at play.

Must dig it out  :innocent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grannicks-118AT-Bitter-Apple-Spray/dp/B0002DHPRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434061707&sr=8-1&keywords=bitter+apple+spray+for+dogs

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 20:14:55 PM »

Try rubbing cables with orange peel, save some pennies  ;)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 21:43:01 PM »
Susanne, I usually some of that spray in my cupboard as it's also good to use if they start spraying in inappropriate places  ;D
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 17:31:30 PM »
Thanks Allison.  I stumbled upon that one when searching the internet but wasn't sure if it was any good.  If it's citrus scented it should work as cats tend to dislike citrus.  I've emailed Kito's breeder and she says he is not a chewer but I'd like to have something to hand in case he does start to chew cables when he's teething.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 20:33:45 PM »
I've always used this Susanne http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pet-behave-training-spray It's got a very strong lemon scent and they don't like it. It definitely stopped Lily scratching my new leather chair.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Spray deterrent for cables
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 18:56:53 PM »
Any recommendations for a spray that I can spray on the tangle of cables behind the tv to deter kitten chewing?  I know bitter apple spray is often recommended on US sites and Amazon sell it - is that the best thing?  I have so many cables behind the tv.  I don't know yet whether young Kito is going to be a chewer or not.  I've emailed the breeder to ask whether he has shown any indication of being a chewer.  Mosi has, fortunately, never bothered with them (that won't do his reputation as norty any good!) and I don't think I will be able to cover them all up.  It's hard for me to reach behind the tv and I can't move it.  I think the best thing might be to spray them so that if he does try to chew he will not do it a 2nd time!  But what to spray them with?  When Jaffa & Magpie were kittens I put tabasco sauce on cables  :rofl:  No idea whether it worked or they just weren't interested but I had no chewed cables.  I had fewer then however as I didn't have sky and as much stuff.  Any ideas?

Link to CatChat