Author Topic: Misa has chronic arthritis  (Read 13687 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Misa deterioating
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 20:35:39 PM »
Topping up the get well vibes for Misa and  :hug: to you  x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 20:34:01 PM »
I'm glad he's back home and walking better  :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 20:09:21 PM »

Gill I have only just seen this thread, my apologies for not seeing it earlier.  :-[

I know how worried you are about Misa, but now you have some answers your worries should ease a little. I know how he feels, that arthritis is very painful at times.

Loads of hugs for you both  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 19:19:56 PM »
So glad he is home and responding well to the meds.

There is no way you could have known what was wrong :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 19:17:43 PM »
Just sent this to someone so will post although it repeats what I said earlier  but expands it upto date, sorry

Misa is back home and he4 has chronic arthritis in back legs and spine and his rt back leg has a pin and wires in from a badly broken leg before I had him, shatter Gareth and me to find this out. He also has an injury at side of tail which is where the conjealed stuff was but isnt infected.

The arthritis ha had a flare up whether the injury caused it but Gereth says that it will flare up from time to time and get worse 

He was given cat valium to calm him down and now he is starving cos its also given to stimulate eating!

He has just eaten 3 dishes of food plus biscuits and he has had abs jjab and painliller injection. So right now he is walking well and even saw a tail up at the vets, he couldnt lift it.

I hope he is going bto use the litter tray while he is feeling good.

I have a painkiller to give him plus the metacam and a joint suppliment and Gareth wantsw to know he is doing on Thursday.

The bloods were totally clear but I am a bit worried whether the insurance company will pay up and its £850!

The vets are going to fill in the form and as this was unknown to anyone we cant say we knew he had a pre-existing condition. I am sure the vets know how to fill the form to get their money!!

Yes Misa must have had a bad life and so pleased he is home and right now he is walking normally and back to Misaman again.

I so wish I had known what he had and what to look for, just hoping I can het his meds into him for 7 days, they are only to be used if it flares up

Thank you all for your kind words  :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 19:04:03 PM »
Oh poor baby :( Sending loads more positive vibes for gorgeous boy and hope he takes the med and start feeling better soon.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 18:56:18 PM »
Poor  Misa.  I'm glad you've got some answers  :hug:  I hope the pain can be managed.   I hope you can get some rest knowing he is being well looked after at the vets.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 18:54:30 PM »
Poor Misa. Hope he takes the metacam and feels better soon.  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 15:53:03 PM »
Aw bless his fluffy trousers, the poor lad's early life was obviously even harder than anyone imagined.  He was lucky to find you.  I'm fervently hoping that he can be kept pain free.  :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 15:39:20 PM »
Bless him. Poor soul. I hope he feels better soon. Xxxx
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 15:21:52 PM »
poor misa, hope you can get him to take the metacam it can make such a difference

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 15:12:44 PM »
Oh poor Misa, he had a very tough life before he found you :hug:

Gareth is such a good vet which is reassuring

Also hoping the metacam helps :hug:

Bet you can't wait to get Misa home :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 14:55:51 PM »

Poor little sausage.   :(  He must've been in  lot of pain.  I guess it's so hard when you dont know the history of an animal that you take on, and don't know what they've been through previously.

Hoping the Metacam helps Gill.   :hug: :hug:   Sometimes with joint problems like that, it can help if you can just gently rest your hand on the joint and keep it there, bearing the weight of yuor own hand on your elbow and wrist.  The warmth is very soothing.  Doesnt need to be long - ten minutes or so, provided Misa will allow it. 

Sending our gorgeous boy much love, and soothing purrs/snoozles.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 14:44:37 PM »
You are so tight Carol!

Gareth has rang and not good news really.

Apparently he has a pin and wires in rught back leg which has been badly broken...............must have been before CP took him on aFTER A VET SAVED HIM BY NOT pts WHEN OWNER WANTED THAT  oops, maybe when he was badly treated or before.

But the has chronic arthritus in that leg, not quite as bad in the other, but also at base of tail, both hip joints and also in bottom of back.

Gareth thinks that this has all flared up and thats probably the cause of his pain and current problems. Without MRI scan cant see if there is any soft tissue damage to Muscles and ligaments.

So he needs to be on Metacam and other stuff to help him and maybe something stronger. I guess if that does nor work he may need MRI scan and Bristol now have one from about 6 months ago................so no chance of changing his imsurer now.

Gareth thinks he has been managing up to now. It also explains why he has never been a jumper pnly getting about 18inches off the ground at the most,

Poor poor boy he must have been in pain most of his life and apparently the injury to his back right leg was very bad.

I am going to pick him up about 1600 as Gareth thinks he will be better at home.

Misa also a bit constipated but think he hasnt been able to go cos of the pain and that he can only sit on the litter.

I hope that Misa learns to love metacam as he is not keen and he probably will also need something that comes in a capsule that can be opened up and put in food and maybe joint supplements too..............the question is can I get him to eat any of them.

All in all not good news but that he is totally healthy in other respects must be a plus.

They are also detangling him and have shaved him where Gareth nfound a little scar above his tail but it is fine.............maybe another old injury?

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 14:16:28 PM »
Good news about Misa's bloods and heart :hug:

Is there any chance he may have jumped off something and sustained an injury :shify:

Thinking about you both :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 13:41:02 PM »
I suppose it's good news that his bloods and major organs are healthy but in situations like this you can find yourself almost wishing they'd turned up something that would explain the symptoms.   :hug:  I hope the x-Ray can shed some light on the issue and that whatever the cause it's easily managed and not serious.  :care:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 13:27:50 PM »
Thank you.

Still waiting to hear, just added mobile!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
fingers crossed here gill, sorry it wasn't something quickly fixed  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

Gill, just popping by to say am thinking of you, and hoping you will be able to get word on Misa's progress.
Know how very stressed this will be making you, and topping up the vibes for Marvellous Misman. 

:hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »
Thank you

I am home but Misa still at vets, been given cat valium to calm him down.

He is on a drip and bloods are absolutely purfect. They have scanned his heart and also purfect. So he has no infection.

They are now going to xray his back, back legs etc so a GA.

Its hoped that may show a problem that can be easily treated, if not its still a total mystery and only thing left would be an MRI scan that would show muscle or ligament damage and also something , cant remember what but something in spin like slipped disc etc.

Poor boy shouted all the way in the car and was totally panicked when we waited in car.

We just need to know what is causing his problems walking and using the tray and hopefully why to urinate he has to pull his head back and stare at ceiling.

His bloods show a very healthy cat in his prime. He has not had a stroke.

Gareth should ring again in about an hour.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Topping up the vibes for Misa.  I hope there is some positive news from today's vet visit.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
so sorry to hear he is bad gill, hope something can be sorted for the big boy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
Thank you Liz thats what I do but he is so stressed in there I will probably get them to get him when Gareth is ready for him this time.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50:26 AM »
Gill go in to the vets and get someone to carry Misha in - my vets receptionists are good that way and always help me carry in and then out to the car the boxes when I take mulitples and maybe staying in will give the vets the observation over a time period to aid in getting him better
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:02 AM »
afraid lupin goes crazy shut in any room and digs uo carpet so i cant get in!

it would be funny but.......................

Afraid cant sleep at all now but thanks so much of offer of wake up call..................probably will doze off now! i did doze during golf and missed it lol.

yes need strength just to carry thge cage with misa in cos they are so heavy.........have just had a yogart but eating and me dont get on well.

misa still asleep thank goodness, he needs it as much as me

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:30 AM »
Gill, please while Misa is sleeping try and get some rest yourself. Can you put Lupin in your bedroom just for few hours or do you think that may stress him too much?

Please try and eat some thing you need your strength to look after Misa :hug: :hug:

Would you like me to give you a wakeup call at 9.00?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
Thats a great idea Pav thanks.

He is lying on his side now looking relaxed for the first time today and thinkm he is asleep.

was gonna leave for vets  in just over an hour cos Misa was so bad and his back legs cant hold him but while he is asleep we are staying put.

Bloomin Lupin is bombing about and wont go upstairs and sleep cos I am down here!

Its about 4 years to the day when Napoleon got ill  :'( :'( :'(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:16:04 AM »
Sending more good vibes for gorgeous Misa, I hope Gareth is able to help.

Thinking of you and Misa :hug: :hug:

Gill, could you put some news paper down and cover it with his litter so he doesn't have to climb the tray.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
Misa doesnt seem to be in obvious pain any more but is having problems using the tray.

His back legs/leg wont hold him so he has to sit and then he has a problem going and takes a numver of attempts.

After sitting he is wobbling and after finally going he then lies flat down with left leg outwards, think its his left leg/side thats the problem.

When he is finally urinating he pulls his head back and tries to look at ceiling.

He has used the tray twice today and noticed this last time two. He did solids and liquid the first time, early/mid afternoon but solids very pale in colour, almost wood litter coloured.

Have taken a couple of photos of how he is lying for Gareth.

He has food, water and liiter tray close Liz and all cats staying away from him, Cant lock him in a room because he would panic. He needs to feel loved and just so hard to get to him cos of my health and that he is hiding behind things.

No I dont think he is constipated Carol unless a very little and neither vet thought he was but has eaten reasonably today although nothink like as often as usual.

I am so concerned about him now but so tired am flaking out and so hard to eat.

So pleased that vet time is nearly due just hope I wake up and dont go straight back to sleep!

Thank you for your good wishes

• Royal Cat
Re: Misa back at vets tonight
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 22:48:53 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes for Misa and  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you Gill.

Just a thought but could he be constipated?  I doubt it would be the primary cause of his pain but it could be a contributing factor.   Often older cats can cope well with one problem on its own (eg arthritis or infection) but when another one comes along as well it pushes them into what appears to be sudden distress.  I hope Gareth can come up with a solution tomorrow.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 21:56:15 PM »
Gill can't you put the food closer to him so he's not struggling as much and move a grit box closer for him also keeping him in one room with the door shut would also help you see what he is depositing in the grit box without wondering if the others are using the same tray will give you an idea if he is drinking enough etc just to help out with any questions the et may have over those things - they always ask in my experience about the eating, drinking and grit box usage - if mine are unwell they are shut in one place makes it easier to keep an eye on them = its only for a short time so shouldn't cause to much stress and you can sleep knowing he is safe and has all his comforts

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 20:58:30 PM »
Oh Gill, gentle head rubs for Misa and hugs for you. X
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 20:28:43 PM »
Thank you Allison. We are back to see Gareth tomorrow.

Misa is lying down most of time and struggling to get up and when he does he goes and eats.

I feel its his left leg or back side and I think he is also hiding incase we go to the vets.

Poor boy

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 20:07:04 PM »
So sorry to hear all of this Gill  :( :( :( Sending lots of good vibes for Misa, and of course you too  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 14:15:40 PM »
Yes I thi9nk maybe infection too and as with yours Sheila he had a gunged up part of fur on left side of bottom of back I think was last week.............or was it right side grrrr.

The gung has gone now but I wqas going to try and snip off fur but if I touched he yelped.

I have told both vets this and think this could be problem,,,,,,,we decided not to go with abs on Fri but wonder if this was wrong decision.

He has only had part of his metacam and was stuck under desk cos its a laminate floor so no purchase to get up when he tried.

Have also done an online search and only answer of interest was a something on nreve like you say Sheila.

Tomorrow cant come quick enough tbh but just so tired and Misa is now hiding behind TV.

I have no idea why he suddenly could move after being in cage on way to vets last night but he was sitting the whole way there, However he spent about 2 hours sitting in cage when we got back before he moved.

he has used the tray but think it was hard, just liquids but chose to go to the big tray in kitchen.

Ahhhhhhhhhh he is up and eating hopefully the rest of metacam, now going back to his hiding place,

cant put lappy down to see how much he ate, he is obviously hungry,

Blasted lappy!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
I have injectable Metacam and it does work on Healthy cats Chunkchop get it once a week for his mouth and it lasts about 4 days with him but the blood panel established he had great Kidneys so that's what we use with him so a blood test is a good idea and it will also show any raised white blood cells etc so would go with that the blood test can show so many things

Sounds like he may have fallen and hurt himself or maybe as Sheila says an abcess and being of the fluffy kind and if he has knots harder to find hoping they can get to the bottom of it - mine won't do liquid Metacam as they are a suspicious lot!!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
The tenderness in his lower back reminds meof when Beau had been bitten during retreat, the wound went unnoticed but as the infection set in he became poorly and his back legs were weak so I took him to the vet who also failed to see the swelling until I remembered I'd see some wetness on his fur a couple of days previously. It was very worrying and initial thoughts were he'd fallen and injured his spine somehow. Only on closer inspection did a whopping great abscess become apparent where he'd been bitten, the puncture wound was blocked with a plug of fur (Beau too was a very brave little soldier and rarely complained about his numerous injuries) and the swelling was pressing on his spinal nerve causing his lameness.  :(

Once located, of course the solution was to dose him with Antibiotics and squeeze said zit. It popped in spectacular style - literally as the hot green goo hit the vet (who was quite young and obviously inexperienced) square in the eye  :evillaugh:
Poor Beau yelled out and sunk his teeth into my index finger, so I too needed antibitoics when it swelled up like a Cumberland Sausage later that day  :doh:

When Kuki was hit by a car recently, Neil (my current and excellent vet) said it would be sensible to administer AB as a precaution in case her injuries were thinking of becoming infected.

Perhaps worth mentioning to Gareth that administering a broad spectrum antibiotic wouldn't do any harm as the source of his pain is idiopathic? It might just be what he needs. :care:

Sending more comforting and healing vibes to both of you today, I hope the weather stays warm and you can get the gorgeous Misaman out for a wee stroll when he wakes up.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
Have had about two hours sleep and went to check on him, couldn't find him! So that totally woke me up and haven't got back to sleep again.

Found him eventually as he had gone into study and was hiding under the desk between stuff but fast asleep.

Yes metacam will continue until he sees Gareth on Monday morning.

No I didn't give him anything Rosella and its a total mystery. Yes I am going to ask about xrays cos not sure that a blood screen would show anything. He is on max doseage of met a cam and know Duchas arthritis was helped so much, hebwas able to go up and down stairs again. Richard told me that the meta jab is stronger than the oral stuff as its used to give a kick start before oral stuff.

I asked if he could have another jab as the first one worked so well but was told no......this is where Gareth told me something different to what I thought I knew and to what Richard said...........G said in a healthy adult cat with no kidney probs Met a cam does not affect kidneys, only affects them if kidneys already have a problem.

The whole thing is strange because Richard gave Misa an eben better test if back and legs than G and extended his legs out at back and nothing from Misa, just the same as G saying that his lower back was a bit tender.

I have to get this sorted cos don't want him struggling in real pain which he was.

My other problem us have to go and see eye consultant on wed..

So gonna try and get to sleep again now!!

Thanks all
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:20:36 AM by Misa »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
Did the vet have any idea at all Gill as to what might prevent Misa from getting up on his own and scream in pain when you tried to help; yet able to move around quite freely at the surgery?  I know cats are very good at masking pain but that sounds extreme.  Did you give him any extra metacam before taking him to the vet by any chance?  It's good stuff.

Am wondering if an xray might be best if only to put your mind at rest a little?

I hope it goes without saying that I send the strongest get well vibes to your handsome fella  :care: :care: :care: and a  :hug: for you.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »
Oh Gill, I am so sorry Misa is not feeling well :( Sending lots of healing and positive vibes his way and lots of gentle hugs for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope he feels much better this morning. :hug:

Link to CatChat