Author Topic: Hyperthyroidism advice for a newbie please :)  (Read 2909 times)

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
Re: Hyperthyroidism advice for a newbie please :)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 15:41:55 PM »
Aw thank you! You can't see it in the picture but her most unusual feature is having one pink toe while all the others are black. Always makes the vet laugh!  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 15:23:09 PM »
Minnie looks so healthy  :-: and gorgeous markings  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 17:51:14 PM »
She is, and she knows it  :) Thank you Gill. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 17:07:08 PM »
Minnie is gorgeous and hope you can get this resolved  :hug: :hug:

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 16:37:23 PM »
That's a great idea, I'll definitely look into the weighing machine and also plan to have a further discussion with the vet about the surgical option. Our original discussion was that if Minnie would take tablets reliably this would be a far safer option than putting an elderly underweight cat under anaesthetic but clearly we now know the medication isn't quite doing its job.

Minnie thanks everyone for their help and sympathy and sends this picture to show you that she may be very old and have a poorly thyroid but she's also very happy and photogenic :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 16:10:17 PM »
I have no veterinary training whatsoever but do wonder if you might also want to have another word with your vet about a possible surgical procedure if Minnie's bloods are otherwise perfectly OK and you are not that sure about her age?  I realise she is quite small and this may well be more important than blood results, I don't know.

HT can also cover up underlying kidney issues so it's always a bit of a difficult one to call.  It's a difficult condition as it affects so many of the major organs.  Poor little possum :hug:

Also a word to the wise, you might want to invest in a weighing machine.  They don't cost much and I have missed weight loss and weight gain on our lot a few times over the years.

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 15:28:19 PM »
Thanks Liz, yes she's twice spent a day with the vet for blood pressure and blood sugar checks and no problems other than the hyperthyroidism have ever been detected - so at least there's some good news :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
The sugar curve means a day at the vets to be monitored not just from a regular blood sample as sugars can be masked in that
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Thank you so much, that's really helpful and definitely something to ask the vet about. I've been wondering if the issue is that Minnie needs a dose lower than 10mg a day but higher than 5mg so perhaps this is the answer. We're lucky that she takes tablets very easily so needing to give more than one a day wouldn't be a problem at all.

The vet has said that we should take Minnie back sooner if there's a problem or significant weight gain/loss so we're most definitely keeping an eye on things. She's so small that any change in her weight is very easy to see!

I'm so glad I came here and asked for some thoughts, so grateful to you all  :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Speak to your vet about possibility of changing meds to Felimazole. I think that's what Liz was referring to in her post.

This is the fact sheet.  It comes in doses as low as 2.5mg.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Dechra_Veterinary_Products_Limited/Felimazole_ACY-reg_ADs-_Coated_Tablets_for_Cats/-64924.html

If you click on the next button it gives more info on the datasheet but you will see that it comes in various doses.  If you search on our Purrs site under hyperthyroid and Vidalta, you will find a number of references crop up with cats becoming hypo.  Some cats do better on felimazole but it involves two doses a day which a bit more inconvenient than one.

Do you keep an eye on Minnie's weight yourself?  I would feel very uncomfortable leaving things as they are for another 3 months and would hope your vet suggested an earlier visit if her condition changes.

One of my cats had an unfortunate reaction to Vidalta so we changed to felimazole.  Sadly he died of something unrelated. 

Very much hope Minnie stabilises   :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both 

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
Thank you everyone who has taken the time to reply  :thanks:

I should have added that the last set of blood tests included a full screen of all Minnie's vital stats and she also had urine and blood pressure checks - both to see whether anything else was going on and to see whether the times when the hyperthyroidism hasn't been under control has damaged other organs. Everything came back normal including blood sugar so we know she isn't diabetic ...  :Crazy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:05 AM »
In a cat that age it can be diabetes = have had 3 of them and currently 2 Hyperthyroids one on Felmeizole which is his last hope as he had the op and Vitalda stopped working

Femeizole comes in 5mg tablets ad he is on that twice a day and Clio feral is on10mg of Vitalda twice a day

Diabetes and thyroid both result in hungry and thin cats so a sugar curve can be the way forward just to check

A food supplement called Complivit is a wonderful thing to have to hand 1 pumps equals a full days calories for a 4kg cat it looks like Bovril for a better description about £15.00 for a tube of the stuff and it can be added to any wet food and I use it on my 20yo to keep her weight up as apart from only weighing 2kgs, having no teeth and dementia she is as healthy as a horse and can still jump 10 foot on to her favourite sleeping spot
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:23:07 AM »

My cat Holly (RIP) had hyperthyroidism  but we opted for surgery. Worked wonders. She was about 17 when she had the operation and weighed about 4lbs maybe less. It gave her another 4 and a half happy years, so I don't know why your vet says she's too old and doesn't weigh enough.

Sorry I can't offer any advice

:welcome:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:10:09 AM »
It all sounds very strange tbh and hope that someone give some advice

Offline annie1213

• Kitten
Hyperthyroidism advice for a newbie please :)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 22:47:01 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm Annie and I'm brand new here and looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm mum to three gorgeous pusscats ... a 10 year old ginger boy and nearly 10 year old all-black girl who I've had since they were kittens, and a little black and white old lady who is the cause of me turning to you for advice!

Minnie has been with me since 2007 when her former owners, my neighbours, emigrated and couldn't take her. They weren't exactly sure how old she was but said she was already an adult when they found her sleeping in a skip and took her in, in 2000. Our vet thinks she's at least 17 now but could be as old as 21.

Back in July 2013, I booked a vet appointment for Minnie after she had lost a noticeable amount of weight in a matter of weeks, and was always insatiably hungry and irritable.  Unsurprisingly they diagnosed hyperthyroidism, with her T4 levels sky high and her weight loss being over 1.5kg since she'd been weighed last at her annual booster appointment eight months beforehand.  She was put onto 10mg of Vidalta a day. When we returned to the vet for blood tests three months later, the T4 levels had returned to normal and she'd gained back nearly all of the weight, plus was eating far more normally and no longer attacking my husband at random  :evillaugh: She had more blood tests six months later again showing everything was normal.

We returned again for routine bloods in October 2014 when the vet was happy with Minnie's weight and my account that she remained eating and behaving normally. However when the results came back, the vet advised that the T4 level was now much too low and that Minnie now appeared to have hypothyroidism. I was reluctant to change anything given that she seemed well, but the vet advised we halve her dose of Vidalta to 10mg every other day (since a smaller size tablet isn't available and the tablets can't be split).

Within two months it was clear all was not well - Minnie had visibly lost weight again and was back to eating constantly. We went back to the vet where lo and behold she had lost 1.7kg - so was now weighing below 2kg. The vet put her back onto the daily dose of Vidalta and advised repeat blood tests in three months, which we had two weeks ago. On the day of the blood tests she was weighed and was back to her normal weight, which the vet agreed proves the point that she responds well to the daily 10mg dose.

The T4 and free T4 have both come back as very low again. The vet seems a bit stumped but has said that since we know Minnie is well on her daily tablet but loses weight and eats incessantly on a lower dose, we should keep her on the daily tablet for now and repeat the tests again in three months when we will have to discuss 'other options' if the T4 remains too low. I queried how the T4 levels can be indicating hypothyrodism if Minnie has no symptoms of it, and the vet said it can 'take a while to get the levels right' when a cat is newly diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I see her point but it doesn't make much sense why the T4 levels were perfect for almost a year after she started medication and have only been low more recently.

Does anyone else have experience of something similar with a cat with hyperthyroidism? And does anyone know what the 'other options' discussed might be? I already know from discussions with the vet when Minnie was first diagnosed that surgery and radiotherapy are the usual alternatives to medication but are not recommended in Minnie's case due to her age and the fact that she doesn't weigh much - even when well she has never been above 3.5kg.

Sorry for the long post and for asking for advice on my first visit but I'm both confused and worried so would be very very grateful of any light anyone can shed on this odd situation!  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat