Author Topic: New Kitten - Can't remember what to do  (Read 9559 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: New Kitten - Can't remember what to do
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 16:27:27 PM »
Boblet is now not being so clingy and sleeping with Trouble and Emo on the sofa a lot of the time although she does love her cuddles and sleeping on my lap a lot as well. Interspersed with chewing and clawing my hands. I am still her favourite toy after the fishing rods ones :evillaugh:

At the moment my lovely pale lavender carpet is covered in bits of scarlet feathers and black fur that Emo has dropped, it is going to be a major job to hoover as I have to move all the toys/scratching posts before it gets done, as well as the originals I have all the new kitting ones as well, Carmel bought so many things for her so all the cats are feeling very spoilt! :evillaugh:, they are all sharing. I am very lucky in that they have just taken her in immediately and are so gentle playing with her, although Trouble did give her a sharp tap earlier when she got a bit rough with his tail :naughty:.

Wasn't planning on having the new addition, but am madly in love already, vet on Wednesday is going to cost up to £90 as I also need to get flea and worm treatments for the other two. The receptionist said I could get a cheaper pill for the big cats, but it is big and would have to be broken into 4, 2 parts each. I would rather pay the extra for 1 small pill each.

Oh well, if I wanted cheap pets I would have got more goldsfish :evillaugh: 
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 19:27:21 PM »
Skkkwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkk!  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 13:45:41 PM »
Lovely pics, Paula.   ;D  Rosella, thank you for letting us see this lovely new addition to Paula's family.    :hug: :hug:

She looks so sweet, especially in that first photo - and how great that Emo and Trouble are just sharing food time and space with her - just like that!  :wow:

I can imagine how relieved the lady who got her originally is, and I suspect she'd have been doubly upset if she hadnt known the home that Boblet was going to.  So sad that she had such a bad reaction, but things have turned out well all round.   :Luv:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
A huge thank you to Rosella for posting them for me, just off to town to buy a card reader.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  Boblet is lovely  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 00:55:32 AM »

Boblet and pals  :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo: Finally

She is so cute, Thanks for pics

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 21:53:51 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: Wot a cutie!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Paula and thanks for posting Rosella.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 21:22:22 PM »
Pictures! Love the colours of the new kitty.
Julie.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 20:48:43 PM »
aww look at that - she is utterly adorable.
I have a Boblet too - a Chinese hamster ;)
Looking forward to lots more pics :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 20:30:14 PM »
Baby Boblet at last!!! :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 20:07:48 PM »
There isn't a Vet at the local surgery tomorrow. I am on 10-6's next week so she is going in on Wednesday. Spoken to both lady whose cat had the kittens, she couldn't afford to take the kittens to the vet :censored:, why didn't she have her cat spayed?  :censored:.We won't go there!

New, previous lady only had her for a few days and spent most of those in hospital so no fault there. I showed her the photos on my phone today and she exclaimed "She looks so happy, I am so glad you took her"., so that is good.

She is booked in for fleas, worms and first jabs if the Vet says it is OK. I'll take advice on spaying then.

My cat proof home apparently isn't! I came home lunchtime and saw a bit of wire on the floor, she had managed to find a phone headset in one of the units that I had forgotten I had and chewed a piece off, I have now duly crawled around and I think(?) I have found everything potentially dangerous.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 21:01:24 PM »
Well I was planning on finding out from the lady who had to give her up if she has already been wormed etc. as I don't want to double worm her if she has already had her first vet check and injection as she is 12 weeks old, even though as the runt she doesn't look it, if I'd guessed I would have said she was about 6 weeks, but she was born on New Years Day. However she is still off recovering from her allergic reaction. Did I mention she ended up in hospital on a drip for two days? Hence Boblet being mine now. Also I was planning on taking her to my Vet to register her and get the necessary for the other two on Saturday, hopefully my colleague will be back tomorrow. I can't register her without a check-up anyway I don't think and she is small enough I think that they will have to do dosage by weight rather than age. I do remember that from rescuing a 3 - 4 week old full of worms and fleas. If Mogwai was anything to go by I suspect that will be ditto for spaying. She will be done as soon as the Vet says it is safe, I don't want any more kittens!

The house is thoroughly cat proof anyway and no recliners or anything and no trailing exposed wires etc. and I always close the bathroom door as Trouble likes to drink from the toilet and as he is getting a bit frail I am scared of him falling in.

There are plenty of toys to keep her amused, she came with loads of her own and her own scratching post although her favourites seem to be the fur mousies that are already here, she and the other two spend ages batting them around between them. They all like the fishing rod toys as well, but her favourite toy and bed are me. She is asleep on my shoulders at the moment :Luv2:

I thought Emo was the only cat with a polythene fetish :evillaugh:, so those don't get left out either.

And as for underestimating kittens.....why do you think Trouble is called Trouble? :evillaugh:

She discovered upstairs today and I had to laugh, there is a glass cabinet on the landing and she discovered the hard way that you can't run through glass! I shouldn't have laughed, but the look on her face was priceless!

I have taken loads of photos and as soon as I get paid on Friday, I'll order the plug in thingy wotsit that Andrew suggested so that I can post off the SD card. I promise.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 16:14:20 PM »
I'd take her for a vet check now and you can then get advice on flea treatment, when to go for jabs and spaying etc.  they normally have injections at 9 and 12 weeks (that's why ped cats are generally homed at 13 weeks - a week after last injection).  Neutering and spaying vary depending on vet as some do it earlier than others so best thing is to ask your vet when they do it.  With a girl cat you want her done before she starts calling  :Crazy:

I haven't had a kitten kitten for a while (Mosi is 9) but I have an overgrown kitten who didn't begin to grow up until about 6 or 7 and is still more kittenish than your average 9 year old.

Tire her out as much as possible with feline frenzy type toy - less energy then for teasing your other cats  ;D  short but frequent sessions.  cardboard boxes and paper bags go down well (no handles on bags - if they have them cut them).  crawl around your house on hands and knees pretending to be a curious cat - what looks interesting?  A kitten will climb in and on anything but they all have different interests - mine have never been too interested in cords and leads thankfully - so the maze of cables behind the tv is of little interest (I did paint stuff on them when Jaffa and Magpie were kits - not sure whether that worked or they just weren't interested, Mosi is not that bothered but if there's a plastic bag anywhere he will chew and eat it).

Congrats on your new addition and I echo the request for pics!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 16:09:11 PM »
Yes very good advice as big Misa did that when he came here, I actually saw him pull himself in and out and couldnt believe how such na large cat could  get through such a small space!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »

Great advice Bren.  You can never underestimate the power of a kitten to find trouble  :shify:

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
As well as all the really good advice on here already I would suggest blocking up all holes and gaps you think she could get through...................and then go back and do all the rest that you think she couldn't possibly fit in.  I have recliner mechanisms on my chair and sofa and the back is slightly raised off the floor, just about 1.5 inches, and all the kittens I've had ( I foster for CCG) have made a catline for the gap (once inside the chair they feel totally safe and it's enormously heavy to lift the chair to get the little darlings out again).  So, whenever the kits are old enough to come downstairs and mix with my own lot the gaps under and around the furniture get blocked up with old pillows and blankets for the duration.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
 :waiting: :pic sneek:

:evillaugh:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 20:39:42 PM »
Wot, no pics yet!  :shocked: :naughty:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 19:45:26 PM »
 :see: Any pictures yet?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 14:22:15 PM »

What - missed me asking about PICTURES!   Surely not.   :evillaugh:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 13:37:53 PM »

Has anyone mentioned we need pics? 

Yes!  :naughty:  Me.  But it can't be mentioned often enough.   :evillaugh:

I must have missed that  ;) :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »

Has anyone mentioned we need pics? 

Yes!  :naughty:  Me.  But it can't be mentioned often enough.   :evillaugh:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
A new kitten  :Luv:  I would recommend having a torch on hand for when they suddenly disappear, I remember 'losing' my boys quite regularly when they were tiny only to find them snoozing somewhere dark  :evillaugh:  I suspect the farting may settle in a few days and may just be caused by nerves no matter how bold and feisty she may seem  :)

Has anyone mentioned we need pics?  :innocent: :naughty:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:53 AM »
Congrats on getting a new kitty. Just make sure toilet seat is always down, electric wires out of the way. No access to falling in hot bath water. And no bits of string, wool, knitting needles etc left around. Luka's brother staked himself on a knitting needle and had to be rushed to the vet by the breeder. It went right through the roof of his mouth. Luckily he survived. But there are always hidden dangers for young kittens lurking around we don't always think about.
Oh and have fun. And take lots of photos. They grow up so quickly and their kitten months are lost forever unless caught in photos.
Julie.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   Oh, I remember this feeling all too well.   After we lost Paddy at the grand ole age of "twennyannabit" and took on a kitten again for the first time in 16 years, we'd almost forgotten what was wot.

I'd get her kitten checked now, with first jabs. As already suggested, I'd get her chipped when she's in for neutering, and it can be done while she's out cold anyway.  neutering I'd say anywhere between 5 and 6 months, but your vet may have their own thoughts on that score - some prefer earlier neutering, some stay with six months.

I wouldnt underestimate her ability to get out through he flap - kittens are wily creatures, and Moray managed to tailgate his way out after Tinks before we got the dualscan cat flap (and he's a little innocent, as we all know...   :innocent:)   :shify:

Plenty of toys and playtime are in order - especially fishing rod toys to tire her out and stop her pestering her new siblings  (I've seen their posts  :evillaugh:)

Kitten-proof everything (and I mean everything).  Lids down on loos, all washing machine/dishwasher doors firmly closed when not in use.  Remember to check all cupboards and wardrobes when accessing things from them - ditto garage if you have one.  Always take care on the stairs (ask me again about that one - who do you think got bushwhacked on the stairs today by one of our "borrowers"?) and remember how kittens love to climb, scramble and jump (and trype onna tryping keyboard).  Keep anything you dont want broken, chewed or scratched, out of sight and out of reach.   Ditto cables and wires.  Never leave a bath running unattended.  Take care whilst bathing, in case you have a small visitor.  Ask me why I'll never be a Bluebell girl - go on - ask me!   :evillaugh:   I was taking a bath at our old house, and Flynn, one of my Lost Boys, came to join me and have a chat.  he sat at the foot end by the taps, and I lounged lazily, whilst toe-ing bubbly foam in his direction.  As he leaned out to investigate, he slipped and fell in the water, but was resourceful enough to use my thighs as a springboard to dry land.  I remained bleeding to death in the tub, and still have a five inch long scar on my inner thigh to this day to show for the episode.   :evillaugh:

I've clearly been fortunate in one respect however, as we havent had any farting kittens.    Gods, the things we dont even know we're fortunate for....  :rofl: 

Above all - lots and lots (and lots) of photos......

I love the Boblet tag.  Sounds just purrfick for her right now  :evillaugh:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 23:33:04 PM »

Get her one of these laser pointers. Hours of fun for her and you
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Military-Grade-Green-Pointer/dp/B00IWH0C2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1427239836&sr=1-1&keywords=laser+pointer

Much better than the ones from pet stores

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 23:19:06 PM »
I got my two chipped when they were spayed. The vet can do it when they are a sleep which I preferred as the chips looks quite big, especially for a small kitten. 

I think kittens are quite stinky I remember them farting a lot especially when I picked them up. So don't know if it's the food. They did have whiskas at the time but they got a better food once the rescue had stopped supplying it.   

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 23:11:08 PM »

:wooooo: :wooooo:

Astrophe and Zoonie had part one of their injections aged 11 weeks (10 April) and were chipped as well, part two aged 16 weeks (7 May) They were neutered at 5 months.
Have fun with your little whirlwind, oh, and watch your legs kittens love climbing up legs  :rofl:

Start worming now, once a month for Kittens. First jab and chip now if there is a chance she could get out, or wait until she is neutered and they can chip her when she is asleep
My two had Whiskas kitten amd Royal Canin and James Welbeloved dry kitten. Should cut down on the farts  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 23:18:10 PM by hollycat »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 22:53:30 PM »
I promise I will link the camera to the PC and provide pics, but what I need to know is when does she need jabs? I have given her a thorough comb through and she is clear of fleas, no earmites etc. When do I need to start worming her etc. She has always been indoors so I don't think that is an issue at the mo. I know I need to go to the vets in the next couple of weeks to re-do Trouble and Emo for flea drops, obviously I need to register Boblet at the same time and get kitten strength drops for her as well, they are also due to have more Drontal, so I will take advice on that as well as they bring back live prey as well as half eaten prey, which I am sure she will snack on and I don't want her picking up internal parasites.

I seem to remember it is 6 months for spaying, how soon can I have her chipped? Trouble was about 3-4 when chipping came in and Emo was about 3 when I got her so she was done immediately.

The catflap is quite stiff, Emo has to have several goes before she gets through so I am not worried that Boblet can get out, she isn't strong enough, but I do want to get her chipped before she can.

The other thing is that she is on Felix Kitten and she does the most god awful farts all the time, do you think that I should try another food  and if so what would people suggest? I know to introduce gradually. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks chaps and chapesses ;D

BTW, just seen your post Andrew, I sit/kneel on the floor, she likes to launch herself from the sofa to my back/shoulder. I think she thinks she is a parrot :rofl:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 22:32:05 PM »

:wooooo: :wooooo:

Astrophe and Zoonie had part one of their injections aged 11 weeks (10 April) and were chipped as well, part two aged 16 weeks (7 May) They were neutered at 5 months.
Have fun with your little whirlwind, oh, and watch your legs kittens love climbing up legs  :rofl:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 20:05:26 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Congratulations Paula  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

It's been 13 years since I last had a kitten so I can't really help to be honest but I will say:
 :need pics:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
New Kitten - Can't remember what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 19:34:35 PM »
As of 3pm this afternoon I find myself the proud owner of a new kitten. I have done the obvious. she knows where the litter tray is and has used it, knows where the food bowl is and has used that (enthusiastically :evillaugh:) She is unashamedly bullying my 17 and 5 year old cats. She was born on New Years Day, and moved in with a lady at work on Friday, unfortunately the lady discovered the hard way that she is severely allergic to cats and spent two days in Hospital, she couldn't find a home for Bob and so as of 3pm today I own 3 cats! :evillaugh: She is very cute and nawtey already and I am already in lurve, she is a little tabby-tortie with a white bib and four white socks.

Thing is I have been rehoming older cats for the last 17 years so I can't remember when to get jabs etc. so any tips would be useful.

Many thanks.

Paula.

Link to CatChat