Author Topic: When you're gone... Provision for bereaved cats  (Read 4006 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: When you're gone... Provision for bereaved cats
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 23:57:22 PM »
 :wow: Rosella thats FANTASTIC  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 22:21:04 PM »
My Will provides for an "animal fund" based on so much dosh per animal in our care when we peg it.  There is after all an outside chance that we may have a dawgie by then  :innocent:

The animal fund is a rather generous amount that can be dished out purely at the discretion of our executors to either those rehoming our monsters or those caring for the monsters prior to rehoming in whatever proportion seems reasonable taking into account any known illnesses at the time we peg it. 

Also all animal bedding, toys etc to go with them.  Our Wills also state that no one gets a bean from our estate until the animals have been placed in loving permanent homes. 

Also for our personal chattels to be split between 2 peeps and any dispute as to who gets what means chattels go to the animal fund  ;) 

Also that, excluding RSPCA, our execs need to contact people/organisations from who we collected our animals (with a note of Purrs and Catchat login info to ask for pointers to decent rescues) and details of where the updated list of animal names, dates of birth, details of any illnesses etc can be found.  Execs advised that they MUST get a decent rescue to check out all would be permanent homes.

Also suggestion that animals stay in our house with pet sitters if need be if at all possible until they are rehomed and use the animal fund to pay family/friends if need be to care for them meanwhile.

I will most certainly haunt my execs until all is sorted unless there is no after life of course  :shify:  in which case I've done my best in advance  ;)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 22:07:13 PM »
It is heart warming to read about Georgie and it just shows you, so to speak :)

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 21:49:58 PM »
I have looked at this from two viewpoints.

When my mum went into a nursing home I had to rehome her 12yo Persian, Georgie.  Taking her on myself was not an option as my own boy Woody hated other cats (which was why he left his previous home and chose to live with me).  Georgie was "old", extremely hairy and a :censored: to groom and had chronic renal problems needing a special diet and my mum was adamant that rather than Georgie go back to a rescue she would have her pts :(

It took a while but eventually a local rescue that took on long-term home-based fostering agreed to have her and sent my mum photos of Georgie spread out on a (human) bed, intrigued by a tank of fish and besotted :Luv2: with a rather large dog.  She outlived my mum and had a happy couple of years until her kidneys gave out.

I don’t have family, suitable or otherwise, so my three have been left in my will, together with a lump sum, to a friend of mine who runs a cattery.  She is animal-mad (currently goats, chickens, dogs, cats and a pony :Crazy:) and I know she will do the best for each of them.  In my letter of intent I’ve said it is up to her whether they stay with her or are re-homed if something suitable arises. 

I’m reconciled to the fact that their lives will change after I’m gone, just as Georgie’s did, but I know that each of them has already coped with changes in their lives and believe that they will again.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 21:39:26 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

If any thing happens to me other family members would take Archie and Parki.

It is well worth thinking about making provisions for peace of mind

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 20:13:20 PM »
None of my family or friends would be a suitable home for the boys, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I have a section in my will that details that a hefty lump sum (from a death in service pension) should go towards the care of the boys until they find a new home. This was done before Riley became ill though, I need to change it but can't bring myself to do it as the reality is that Riley would have to be put to sleep  :( I don't say that lightly and I think anyone who knows me knows how much I love him, but I do actually think it would be kindest thing for him.

Nobody is going to adopt an 8 year old cat who needs twice daily medication at the cost of £250+ a month, for me he is a dream to tablet as I think he knows I'm helping him and trusts me but the lovely vet nurse/pet sitter, who is kind and gentle with many years experience said he was a nightmare to tablet combined with the fact he hides when strangers come means he isn't going to be at the top of anyone's list  :shy:

Offline cascats

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Tiffy Toffie (aka Tiffany), Lexicle (aka Lexi)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 18:37:02 PM »
I am maybe luckier than some of you as my daughter would take mine, although do have concerns about our matriarch as she is nearly 20 now.
 I would also take hers of course.
Have also agreed to take my friends cat, but am nagging at her to put it in her will as am pretty certain her DIL will try to put the cat down, as she hates cats and is constantly trying to get my friend to get rid of her on the basis my friend is in her 80,'s and the cat is a hazard. She adores her however and would never willingly let her go.
Unfortunately also have concerns over SSPCA, especially with resent contact on non cat matter, appears if you want to be responsible and are being forced to part with an animal and are willing to wait for a place, they will only take it if you abandon it (but you will be open to prosecution).
We also have a wonderful rescue here Sunny Harbour and am sure if daughter had real problems they would help.
Not planning to pop the clogs yet  :crossed: though.
Do think any plans must be in writing with your will\power of attorney though just to be as sure as you can be.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 17:06:31 PM »
My sisters MIL was left a cat in someones will. She already has lots of rescue cats so she was happy to take on another one. I was surprised the women left her no money at all in her will though. A bit naughty as she's pretty badly off.

The problem is if you have no one to leave your cats to it's probably better not thinking about it, as it's just a worry. I suppose you could leave responsibility for your cats with someone in your will. Then it would be their responsibility not to necessarily take them in but at least find them a home and be their cat godparents.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 14:14:06 PM »
its not palatable but worth thinking out, my nephew died very young last year and his cat willow was being offered to anyone passing until I said I'd take her - I never intended her to stay, I was going to try and find a rescue place, but the little devil wormed her way into oh's heart!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 13:34:36 PM »
I have spoken to my SIL about MIL's cat. She intends to ask MIL's neighbours to take Felix as he spends a lot of his time there anyway.

I really don't know what to do about our cats. Those family members who like cats already have 2 each and wouldn't be up for 2 more (the one SIL lives in a small bed-sit anyway). Our son loves the cats but is very allergic and currently lives in rented flats. I guess we will just have to live forever...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 13:31:29 PM »
RSPCA is specifically excluded for possible rehoming in my letter of wishes.  Sadly, I don't trust them  :(  Could well be that certain branches are excellent e.g. Mary's branch must be trustworthy but have heard so many references to them putting elderly cats to sleep

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
This topic worries me greatly as I have no close family and nobody I would trust to care for my boys  :(  I really need to get it sorted and a will and provision for them drawn up.

The home for life....well you may as well have your cats pts and donate to a better rescue is my opinion as I have heard they have pts cats that have gone into their care under that scheme  >:(

I did wonder about the cinnamon trust, but there does not seem to be any information on their website.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
What are your opinions on this then?  :shify:

http://www.homeforlife.org.uk/

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:29 AM »
Exactly Sue, some members of my family don't look after their animals like I do. They are probably fine but not good enough for my spoilt babies. One of my sisters has lots of animals and kids and they all just have to make the most of it. My two would be petrified there I wonder if getting a rescue to take them wouldn't be a better option.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:48 AM »
Very good point.  Whilst I have some amazing and loving friends, not all of them are as thrilled by animals as we are, and even with my immediate family, who have cats and dogs and other pets of their own, I wouldnt trust them to look after the boys to the same extent we take care of them - which sounds enormously pompous, but for example my sis doesnt believe in "spoiling" cats but her definition of "spoiling" and mine differ somewhat.   :-:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 22:52:44 PM »
It's something I worry about but am not really sure I have come up with a solution. We have the 2 cats and they are both 4. If we both died I know my Mum and Dad would take them and we would take their two if anything happens to them. The problem is my parents are late 60s and early 70s so if anything happens to them I could have 4 cats. One of my sisters loves cats so I'm pretty sure she'd take them but it's not easy to find someone you can trust. We are only in our 40s so hopefully have many years ahead of us but you never know. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 17:48:24 PM »
Gosh, I must admit that this is not something I have given any thought to!  :-[  Silly because we have done wills and Power of Attorney but it hasn't really crossed my mind. I'm in my mid 50s and Mr S is in his mid 60s so it it shouldn't happen for a while but I know there are no guarantees  :(

TBH, I'm currently more worried about what will happen to MIL's cat when she goes (which isn't likely to be very long). She gave him a home when he walked in off the street. I know that he and Cleo, barely, tolerate each other but I don't know if it is fair to Alfie to move in another elderly. Mind you, I'm not sure that Mr S would tolerate another either...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I keep a letter of intent with my will, the will says which charity I want to benefit on the proviso that they care for cats in my care at the time, the letter of intent has more specific instructions on each cat, for instance now that tilly and willow must be homed separately!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »
Good question Sheila, and a subject very close to my heart following our neighbour's recent death, and our other neighbour's incredibly kind move to look after one of her cats.  I haven't reached a satisfactory conclusion yet for the purposes of a will.  So much to think about, such as will your executors carry out your wishes, will the nominated person or organisation look after them or use any monies you leave for their care for the cats welfare.  What a minefield.  But better to make plans even if it's only an "expression of wishes" letter than to make no provision.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
When you're gone... Provision for bereaved cats
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:02 AM »
Here's the question, friends of varying craziness.  :Crazy:

What plans have you in place for your cat (s) should the worst befall you and you find yourself at Rainbow bridge first?  :shocked:

I hear so many sad tales from rescues of cats who have been abandoned when their owner went into care, hospital or died, and I want to make sure my cats are provided for and can relax knowing they will be safe after I've gone.  :)

I have seven (ish) cats  :shy: , some are quite young, possibly a good 20 years of cat life there yet, no reason to assume they won't outlive me, so how do I decide what to do?

Not ruling out any organisation or scheme, as my own harboured beliefs (and prejudices?  :innocent: ) may be out of date or just plain wrong, so can we debate the pros and cons ?

Link to CatChat