Author Topic: He is so poorly (gross photo!)  (Read 3893 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: He is so poorly (gross photo!)
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 19:55:24 PM »
Glad he is eating again :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 22:20:14 PM »
I do hope that the progress is maintained and that Wix is soon back to his usual self  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 16:00:23 PM »
Yes you may be able to eat your sandwich in peace now  :innocent:

So pleassed he is eating now and that vet should be shot!

If a cat is sicking up worms she should have done the obvious first.

I was not implying that he was a rescue or feral but pointing out that if ferals. new rescues, kittens etc can be wormed at a rescue then your cat could have been wormed by vet!

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »
Hi, sorry i havent replied. He was given panacur liquid, which is his usual wormer. I have no idea why she gave him that instead of a spot on, i think you are right sheila rose, a rethink on which vets we use is in order. At time i was just glad she had stopped banging on about urine infections and was treating the worms.
The good news is he is now eating, being a fuss pot about what he eats but progress is progress.  He is also grooming his best bud the akita again and crying to go outside, so im feeling very relieved. I'm thinking when i offered him ham when we got back from vets on friday he gagged and this brought up the wormer. He had gagged a couple of times when offered it whilst ill over last couple of days. So im wondering if this has put him off ham for good and ile be able to.eat a ham sandwhich in peace in the future.. i'm also wondering how ile get him to eat cat food again now he has been spoilt rotten with chicken and tuna and scrammbeled eggs. Though as long as he keeps eating i don't mind  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 15:31:58 PM »
Strange it doesnt mention round worms Sheila?

My cats have until this year had spot on wormer at health check and profender was one used but also another.............droncil????

Offline Tuftyclub

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: No wun, we iz masters!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 23:58:25 PM »
Me again (Sheilarose) there are multi warmers for spot on treatment too, I found this one

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-profender-c-21_760/profender-large-cat-pipette-single-p-1643

But U.S. prescription only.

Still struggling to understand why your vet gave oral tablets when these are commonly available. Do you trust thus vet? Perhaps time to look elsewhere?    :shify:
Pursley, Big Sam, Polly, Theo, Sly da Sly, Tuffers, Georgie, Agent K.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 18:17:18 PM »
Bag and keep evidence to show vet

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 18:10:57 PM »
Which wormer was he given?  Biggles vomited about 5 minutes after having a  milbemax  and the vet told me that was long enough for it to have taken effect but that was tapeworm. Apparently they act instantly on the surface of the worm.  I don't know if it's the same for roundworms.  Biggles was certainly better afterwards.

Can you ring the vet and ask will it have had an effect?  Could you actually see the intact wormer?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 17:56:06 PM »
There are spot on wormers the vet should have but make sure they do round worms.

Reckon he is badly infested and this is why he cant eat

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 17:51:12 PM »
Waiting for vet to call back as he has just vomited his tablets and wormer up. So now don't know what to do with him.
Gill Twix isn't a rescue and i'm not fostering at the min as im 5 weeks from having my first baby,.  :naughty: twix was last wormed at the start of december so was due a wormer, but i realise now iv not been worming him often enough now he a big bag hunting cat. :scared:
He has poo'd though! Not the buggest poop iv ever seen but poop is poop!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 17:26:21 PM »
This worried me all night!

I was sure rescues wormed kittens who obviously had worms.

So pleased he has now been wormed, your vet should have known better and immediately wormed him.

I hope he will get back to normal very quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 17:17:46 PM »
Vet has given him a wormer a anti sickness jab and some appetite stimulator. His temp has come down and the urine sample was all good. Fingers crossed he eats soon

Offline Tuftyclub

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: No wun, we iz masters!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 16:15:57 PM »
Agreed it does look like roundworm, Carol knows more about worms than anyone I know.  ;)
Pursley, Big Sam, Polly, Theo, Sly da Sly, Tuffers, Georgie, Agent K.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 13:25:45 PM »
Definitely looks like a roundworm on that pic but your vet will be able to advise.  Good luck  :hug: and gentle headbutts for Twix.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: He is so poorly but we cant find out why :(
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I think it is roundworm. The vet has just rang asking how he is, so we are taking him back in today at 4. Will demand he is wormed.
We moved almost a year ago and since then we have allowed twix to go wandering, i didn't think he would be hunt anything since at the old house he was frightened of the crows caa'ing at him. But within a month he was bringing home all sorts of gifts, including a live rat while i was at work. Came home to twix tormenting the life out a rat that was running around my living room and two huge dogs sitting on the sofas watching him, looking at me as of to say that has absolutely nothing to do with us!
He was wormed just before at the start of decemeber, using panacur paste.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
I should have added any tapeworms that haven't been vomited up intact will be absorbed in the gut  and he will probably do some revolting poos after the treatment. :sick:  I know Biggles does.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:58 AM »
He sounds like my Biggles, he had an episode like that last  autumn.

If he's vomiting worms then he obviously has a heavy load.  Were the worms you saw round like spaghetti (roundworms) of flat like tagliatelle (tapeworms).  Tapeworms are the most likely suspect, especially if he's a hunter (that's how Biggles gets them) and in that case the  Droncit will be fine, but if they're roundworms he will need something else.

He probably won't start to eat properly until he has got rid of everything and that is unlikely to happen without a wormer.  In your situation I'd be inclined to get something from the vet today (e.g. A dual wormer such as milbemax).  The Droncit when it arrives will not be wasted because he will need retreating in a month's time after such a heavy infestation.  If he is an avid hunter like. Biggles then monthly treatment is the norm.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »
Hiya!
Thank you i'v ordered those as when iv come down there has been another patch of vomit with 2 worms in. He still wont eat is drinking though.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Hi Sarah Jane and  :welcome: back! Sorry to hear the magnificent Twix is under the weather though.  :hug:

I agree completely with Gill and am surprised you vet didn't recommend a topical wormer that would not be ducked up or irritate his tummy further.

If you're quick these might come tomorrow, Animed are my preferred supplier for meds, and this does work!

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/droncit-spot-on-cat-wormer-4-pack.html

Can't believe he's 3 I remember how surprised we all were when he just kept right on growing  :Luv2:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:23 AM »
Hi, he had a blood test yesterday and the results didnt show anything that concerned the vet

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »
That's very young but reckon a blood test to start unless your vet has any other ideas.

Hope the mystery is resolved quickly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 21:10:45 PM »
Hi gill, Twix is 3 coming up 4 in march. These are the vets that when i fostered for our local cats protection, we used and always seemed good. The vet said she didnt want to worm him because it might upset his stomach with him not eating.
He has dry coughed twice in last hour. And sipped water. Still refusing food.  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 19:42:44 PM »
How old is Twix?

He definately needs worming! and would have thought the vet would have done tests.

Have you used this vet before and were they any good?

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
He is so poorly (gross photo!)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 19:02:40 PM »
Hi have not posted for a long time but need the wisdom of the forum. Please bear with me while i explain what is going on.
On Tuesday i woke up late, around ten. Twix did not come to me and ask for breakfast. This didnt register as odd until i had my first cuppa and when i went to find him he was just lying in the dog bed. One of his usual spots. I waved the pouch (whiskers grilled pouches) - no reaction. I put it in his bowl and brought the bowl to him and he sniffed it but turned his head. This is not usual twix behaviour he has never refused a feed. Anyway he spent that day refusing anything i offered - tuna, ham, chicken everything. Even cat milk. Did not use his litter tray and did very little but lie only really moving if i disturbed him. If i picked him up he would yowl like it hurt. So we went to the vets that night.
His temperature was .6 over the norm so was high. His bladder didn't feel overly full, he didn't yowl while she prodded his belly and we got a jab of antibiotics and a shot of Painkiller and anti-inflammatory. When we got home from the vets twix ate a slice and a half of ham and four bites from a pouch.
The next day (yesterday) he seemed a little more alert, refused food again but was drinking and had a good wee, no excessive scratching of litter or pain signs while weeing and it was a good size.
This morning i woke up and he has gone downhill again, sitting in same spot not eating not drinking not toileting again. Then i go upstairs and he has been sick (small amount) pure bile with a worm in.
So back to vets we go, his temp is same as it was the first time we went .6 over the norm, and so this time we got bloods taken and all came back okay, his cell counts are a little high but not enough to worry vet. His bladder wasn't ballooning or overly full though it could be felt that it was maybe half full. So the vet has given him another shot of antibiotics, and painkillers and the katkor litter to try and get a sample. She has given us some painkillers to give him tomorrow. And wants us to bring him back on saturday. She didnt want to give him any wormer because it may irritate his system.
So any ideas what it could be, the vet seems to be obsessing over it being a urine infection, he has had that before and was acting completely different, i'm more worried that he has had four bites of pouch and a slice n half of ham in three days and hasn't pooped for three days. He is drinking a sip or two now that we are home again.
Any suggestions on what it could be or tests to ask for or anything. I cant stand him being unwell.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:58:39 PM by Sarah_Jane »

Link to CatChat