Author Topic: Advice needed on cat with digestive problems!  (Read 2335 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Advice needed on cat with digestive problems!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
I wondered how things are with Aimee now? Did you try different diets? One of my friends has a cat with constipation and she switched to raw feeding which completely resolved the issue, and some behavioural problems too. You can get frozen portions so it's not messy at all, just remember to get them out of the freezer in good time for meals.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 16:28:54 PM »
Slippery elm bark can help and have you had a sample tested by the vet to check there is nothing untoward going on in that department
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 15:15:03 PM »
She is like a furry vampire with those teeth. ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 22:23:38 PM »
My little furbabe suffered terribly (and still does) with colitis ... after trying many many different foods I have discovered grain free very high protein has helped her.  Also fish is better than meat in her case so I feed feringa dry food and very occasionally they get a treat of feringa wet.  This is very good quality food and all my gang eat it and enjoy it.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=feringa
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 19:58:39 PM »
A visit to the vet would be a good idea and am sure a special diet will be recommended :hug:

You could try  a little low fat plain yogurt with friendly bacteria in the meantime.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
She does look lovely as Gill says, and can see that she's adored by you.  I think I would get her checked over by a vet, who may be able to recommend the best diet for her digestive problems. 

We had a dog who had similar problems.  We tried a number of different diets before we found one that suited her.  After around 4 to 5 years on that diet, she was able to have an occasional treat without suffering a relapse, and it may turn out to be the same with Aimee.  Generally most vets will recommend a wet diet, but there are many different types, with different nutritional components, and it can be a minefield to tread on your own.   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:05:49 AM »
Has she seen a vet and if so what did he say?

She looks lovelt even upside down  ;D

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 21:33:36 PM »
You could try giving her pumpkin that is supposed to be very good for cats digestive systems.

Offline Taseri

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Aimee
Advice needed on cat with digestive problems!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 21:17:41 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and quite desperate for some advice! I've had cats my whole life so I consider myself very experienced but I'm stumped with my little one!
I rescued Aimee just over a year ago from a lady who albeit loved her pets, was neglecting them. Aimee was skin and bone, covered with fleas and had the worst flea dermatitis I've ever seen. So much so she has bald spots on her from years of scar tissue build up.

After that bit of background, on to her digestive issues.

Aimee struggles with her bowels, so much so I've switched to Royal Canin Sensitivity Control to help her. Compared to what she was like when I got her (sorry for TMI but she had the runs really bad and constant wind problems) she is so much better. However I still find she has occasional bouts of diarrhoea and wind problems. Her belly constantly feels bloated and my heart breaks when I see her struggling in her tray. I'm not too sure what her nutrition was at her old place but I do know she was given spicy sausages as treats  :doh:

Does anyone have any advice on what I could try to ease her discomfort? I've tried all normal cat food brands, and quite a few premium sensitive ones including the new Purina cat food. Sometimes she gets that bunged up I have to make her fast for the day to ease her stomach :(

She's 9 years old so I want the rest of her life to be in luxury and comfort. She's the apple of my eye so I'm willing to try anything!

Link to CatChat