Author Topic: Kitchen safety  (Read 4015 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Kitchen safety
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 22:13:48 PM »
If you give him treats when he jumps onto the work surface he will never stop  :sneaky:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 06:51:59 AM »

Oh Rosella - so know what you mean - it's exactly how I end up talking nonsense to Moray and sneaking cuddles instead of admonishing him as he should be.   :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 22:33:28 PM »
I was thinking of doing a video of how to stop Boris jumping on the kitchen work surface  :innocent:  I started to train him two days ago slowly raising my voice another decibel as he constantly ignored my "get down" instructions.  Had to stop eventually in case the neighbours called out the RSPCA. That animal simply doesn't understand the concept of fear. 

Am almost tempted to buy a Sscat canister Sheila to prove a point but finances aren't wot they woz  :shify:  It's fabulous in a way that he's so self assured but does worry me that he will one day meet his match.  Meanwhile he's just so bloody cute  :Luv2: :Luv2: that I can't help give him biscuits when he jumps on the work surface  :innocent:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
Yes, weird things are happening sometimes when I use iPad, on other sites as well. Gremlins! Switched to laptop now.
I think she was so overexcited when she arrived last Sunday. Now she's calmed down so much. From a scared and hissy kitty to a sweet girl who snoozed on my belly this morning.

:) :) :Luv:

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Francesca, adopted 31.01.2015, and Monika 2012-2015 RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 22:21:54 PM »
Yes, weird things are happening sometimes when I use iPad, on other sites as well. Gremlins! Switched to laptop now.
I think she was so overexcited when she arrived last Sunday. Now she's calmed down so much. From a scared and hissy kitty to a sweet girl who snoozed on my belly this morning.

RIP Lovely Monika 2012 - 2015

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 14:58:53 PM »
MoggyMogs are you on an iPad? This often happens when I'm on Purrs using mine.  :shify:

Sscat is pretty effective if you can get the canisters. I invested in one to keep George from peeing on the plug sockets and coffee machine. It works when you remember to switch it on and scares the bejesus out of you when you forget to switch it off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gx6Bw7v0

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Geoffrey sounds like a smart one. Francesca is a very clever cat I think so prob best to get something to cover up the whole cooker. Child-proof it.

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
Internet weirdness.    :Crazy:

She's settling in really well and we will just keep everything switched off as you said, can't control what she does when we're out, but she no longer protests when I tell her NO. She knows we are not mad her her.
 :Luv2:

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
This is  a bit odd, Francesca's photo is appearing as your avatar?!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 22:23:01 PM »
Personally I wouldn't rely on saying NO.  She may well obey when you're there to tell her no, but I'd bet that she's back on those surfaces every time your back is turned  :rofl:  The thing that worries me is the touch operated hob, as Geoffrey can turn it on with his paws, so when he was agile enough to jump up onto the worktops, we had to keep it switched off at the mains. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »

Sad eyes are a cat's secret weapon.   ;) Our Moray has them too.   :evillaugh:

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 19:58:37 PM »
Her name is Francesca. This is only Day 5 with us and she settling in so well, she even slept next to me last night. She still has sad eyes though (or maybe that is just her face :(
I think telling her firmly NO will hopefully over time give her the message (she protests every time and grumbles of course). She can do whatever she wants as long as it's not dangerous for her.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
She looks and sounds so sweet!  :Luv:

Just a firm 'NO' and lifting them off . We dont have a very big kitchen, and dont let them on the benches at all.

......dont know what he does when I am asleep!

YES! Sometimes Dexter will be up on the bench looking to see what scraps are there. As soon as he hears you coming he jumps down, he knows he's being naughty!  :naughty:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »

Moray does this from time to time.  Usually I giggle, then I engage him with a stern look, say "No" in a firm tone, and lift him down.  Which usually gives me an excuse to cuddle him, whisper sweet nonsense to him and then reward him with a bit of chicken..... :doh: :innocent:

What sort of hob do you have?  If it's electric, could you get some hob covers, or put the lid down when you've finisghed cooking (assuming it has a lid).  I sometimes put a pan down over a hot hob, until it's had time to cool down.  Keep all electrical appliances like toasters or blenders  or kettles switched off when not in use, and with any cords as tidy as possible. 

What's the name of your new baby?  She sounds lovely.  You must be very happy to have her in your home.   :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:03:25 AM »
If you really dont want her up there then you need to say no and take her down!

She sounds lovely

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 20:11:40 PM »
I just told her "No kitty" when she went up there again and she talked back for about 30 seconds, she just looked at me and chatted. She's too funny. Very different to our first one who was a very sweet little couch potato.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 20:05:27 PM »
Mine are allowed up there but only at the window end and only Lupin tries his paws at other places so he is told get down and if he doesnt he is removed...........dont know what he does when I am asleep!

I put an old metal fridge shelf over a ring after it has been on with a ring cover on top, it still gets hot but seems to act as a deterent

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
Kitchen safety
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 17:59:57 PM »
Hello, I'm looking for advice to keep our new cat off the kitchen counters. She's been with us for only 2 days and we've given her access to the front room, the corridor and the kitchen for now.
She's 4 years old and very very agile. She's a lot livelier than expected, but also still a bit anxious so we have not been interfering when she jumps up on the kitchen counter (or the mantle piece...)
We're not fussy and it's lovely to see her come out of her shell, but don't want her near the cooker/toaster etc.
She really loves running water so is always drawn to the sink (and bathtub  :rofl:)
I've heard of lemon oil sprays on surfaces as deterrent, do they help?
 :thanks:

Link to CatChat