Author Topic: What d'ya think?  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: What d'ya think?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 16:37:17 PM »
Round here people who live in the council houses are  allowed only 1 cat and 1 dog which is often a good get out for me when people apply for a cat and I don't think they are suitable. Please don't think that is because they live in a council house/flat, there are just as many of the 'fur coat no knickers' folks who live in the what they think is the toff area that I would not home too.  I do remember to remind people that I do think OK that if they ask permission the council would not resfuse 2 cats. The council actually do put in cat flaps in the main doors in the blocks of 6 flats. the only problem with that is we actually home only indoor cats to flats, as it only takes i person in the block not to like cats and there can be problems. I appreciate they can and do cats cats from elsewhere. Whenever I lie and say we have nothing suitable etc I always say  that if they get one from somewhere else to ring me when the kitten is 6 months old   or they adopt a cat and it's not 'done' and I will send them a voucher.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline chaotic_kittyuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 15:38:30 PM »
I've checked the t&c for pets, I'm allowed 2 cats without permission...just the cat flap I didn't know about...Thanks, I'll give them a ring on mon.

:thanks:

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
Re: What d'ya think? On a slightly diff subject...
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 15:31:35 PM »
Seeing as we're already talking about catflaps, just wanted your answer/opinion....Do you have to get permission from the council (obviously in a council property) before putting a cat flap into the back door?

any advice welcomed...also does anyone know the best place to get replacement collar keys for the staywell 932...do they work on all models of magnetic catflap?

Thanks Lots!!!! :thanks:

Rina  :Hello:

Yes you do need permission. Would be classed as an improvement. Also keeping a pet will require their permission. However they are unlikely to say no and are unlikely to care.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
  • If cats could talk - they would lie to you :)
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 14:11:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. The Katkabin looks great Roz, the OH is going to get it ordered as soon as money permits!

Chaotic - You'll probably need to write to your local housing office asking for permission. I used to work in housing and everything had to be done in writing. Not sure whether they'll say yes but it's worth a shot!

Offline chaotic_kittyuk

• Adult Cat
Re: What d'ya think? On a slightly diff subject...
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 14:01:15 PM »
Seeing as we're already talking about catflaps, just wanted your answer/opinion....Do you have to get permission from the council (obviously in a council property) before putting a cat flap into the back door?

any advice welcomed...also does anyone know the best place to get replacement collar keys for the staywell 932...do they work on all models of magnetic catflap?

Thanks Lots!!!! :thanks:

Rina  :Hello:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 13:33:47 PM »
 :bath:      :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 11:55:47 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 11:52:21 AM »
Me again....here's the link:

http://www.katkabin.com/euro/

Just as a rider to my last post.....it's nothing for any guest staying with us to be treated to the sight of a goofy Setter surprising them as they're luxuriating in the bath, should they have forgotten to lock the bathroom door...hotly pursued by a tribe of cats! :evillaugh:
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »
Such a good option  Iain.  Inserting the cat-flap into brickwork is more complicated but very safe.  Cat-flaps can be used by burglars to gain entry into your house if fitted to a door or window.

I don't have a catflap myself....Our cats have their own private doorman in the guise of Angel, my dog.  Whenever they stand at the door (back door, I hasten to add) looking out, she just obliges by jumping up and opening it for them.  There isn't a door in the house that she cannot open more quickly than me.  Drives me bonkers at this time of the year!!! 

Jenn, there is a product on the market called 'KatKabin'.  It is a small, completely waterproof, off the ground, 'kennel' type affair that has been designed for cats. It would be ideal for just the scenario that you envisage....a warm safe haven for a cat to use until their owner comes home.  I think it retails at about £40 - £50 but it is a beautiful product, and something on the lines that we had been considering introducing for some time, but just didn't get around to it.

Hope that helps....I'll try to look up the link in a mo.

Best wishes,

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:18:05 AM »
Where I live there are full length double glazed french doors at the rear. There are a couple of options. If you have a double glazed casement window on ground floor you can get a new one made to replicate it with the cat flap already fitted so that the seal is intact. This prevents condensation forming between the glazing. You can store the previous window in the loft so that new owners have a choice of cat flap or not.

The alternative, which is what I have done, is to chase a hole through the cavity wall at the rear leading onto the back garden. You mark out the cat flap, then using a long drill bit drill through inner block and outer brick walls. Then take a chisel and lump hammer and knock out the block and bricks then fit the cat flap. I have lined the inner with the plastic extenders which come with the staywell cat flap. Ideally you need a cat flap for the inner and another for the outer. The edges of the outer cat flap should be filled with flexible silicone. Make sure you keep the drill level and wear safety goggles when using chisel and hammer.

Remember to keep the bricks and mortar and then you can take them into your local builders merchant and get replacements if you ever want to reverse what you've done.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:10:52 AM »
Roz, I suppose we're lucky in that respect, then. It sounds awfully expensive!

Janey, you're right, there's no guarantee it'll get used....after all, they're cats! Predictability isn't why we love them so much! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 11:07:19 AM »
We have quite a few ferals which have been spayed and neutered and reside round here and we all feed.  (They're even fussy about their feed!!)  I have a kennel and they sometimes get in when it's raining but my own cats don't.  It's a lovely idea :idea: if they'll use it but there is no guarantee.  My sister has a kennel and a stray she feeds is in it day and night it loves it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 10:35:24 AM »
Hi Jack,

You only need to replace the whole panel if that is the way the door has been arranged and the size of the glass within it.  If you have, say, small Georgian panes, then you could easily remove one of those little panes and fit a flap into it but otherwise there is no other way of doing it.  We've fitted hundreds of catflaps into cattery doors, and into the houses of our customers.....  You can fit catflaps into brickwork (difficult and time consuming but very safe) or door panels etc...but if fitting into glass, that is the only way it can be done.  You cannot cut a hole into the glass yourself...it needs to be done at the time of manufacture and by a proper glazier.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 10:36:32 AM by Roz »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »
You can fit catflaps in glass doors, it's just a lot more expensive. :( (Didn't know you had to replace a whole panel, though!)With regards to the shelter, I'm using a rabbit hutch that I already had. I've cut a piece of wood to size so that there's two-thirds of the open side covered and put a cushion and a food bowl in there. Not specifically for my cats TBH as I have a cat flap!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »
Hi Jenny

Inserting a cat flap into a large piece of glass already in place is not possible.  What you will need to do if you want to have a cat-flap fitted is as follows:

Contact a glazier who will remove the current glass and measure up for another pane which will need to be toughened and cut ready for the catflap.

Carefully store away the removed piece of glass.  This way, should you be thinking of moving at some point in the future, you can refit the old glass and sell the house as it was before...unless of course, the buyers would like a cat-flap fitted in the door.

The toughened piece of glass will have a hole cut into it by the glass manufacturer (you should already have purchased a cat-flap so that the glazier knows the dimensions and shape of the hole that needs to be cut.....Petmate (Catmate) catflaps are the best but you must make sure you buy the appropriate type...one for fitting into glass.  The glazier will then insert this into the glass and fit the new pane of glass into your door.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Roz

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »
with regard to a kennel you could get a little shed type thing quite cheap from b & q and do what ever you want to it to suit.  but before providing a "bus shelter" for all the neighbour hood cats just remember it may mean they have the chance to fight more (cats are normally quite territorial) and pass bugs/fleas etc around so maybe for your own kitty its not quite such a good idea to actively welcome the others.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 01:47:36 AM »
I had a flap put in my double glazied door out to the garden. It can't be done manually cause of the seal so we had a new glass panel done the same size with a flap built into it. We fitted it back ourselves. Cost about £70 for a full door size.

Def worth it as my lads can come and go into the garden night and day when ever they want and with the cat proof fencing in the garden they are safe too.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 18:08:10 PM »
how would I go about arranging one, would I just need a glazer?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 18:06:53 PM »
A cat flap can be put in if they really want to. >:(

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 17:59:10 PM »
The problem has happened cos it's a new estate and the builders built the houses with double glazed full length glass doors on the back so noone can put a cat flap on....or so I'm led to believe one can't be put in...correct me if I'm wrong

Just think it'll give them somewhere at least dry to hang out till they can get home?

Offline Emma S

• Adult Cat
  • Meg and Darcey
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 17:54:08 PM »
Awwww thats really horrible :( There is a woman who lives by my mum and her cat is always out and he always just sits by the front door - in all weather, looking really miserable :(

Why dont people use cat flaps? I am out a lot but I either leave the cat flap open for my girls, or in this weather I dont let them out at all.

I think a little kennel sounds like a lovely idea, poor babies would probably love it in this weather.
Love Emma & the girls - Meg and Darcey xxx

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
What d'ya think?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 17:48:19 PM »
Where I live there's loads of young couples who are out alot and have cats. You'll drive passed their houses and see their little ones sitting patiently at the door to be let in.

I was thinking....with the weather getting horrible....and for Tallulah's benefit....putting a little kennel by my back door with snug blankets and food for the little ones to go if they can't get home.....

Is that a totally bad idea? Will it stop them going home?    :um:

Link to CatChat