Author Topic: Another cat tree/scratching post query  (Read 6404 times)

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
Re: Another cat tree/scratching post query
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 21:16:07 PM »
id go for the biggest, sturdiest cat tree you can afford. and, one that screws into the wall....  mine like ones where they can fully stretch out and that is flat - so no shelves hitting them in the tummy when they are scratching.

i have that oasis zooplus one, and sometimes they go into the cave... but they dont really bother with it that much. It isnt big enough.

I also have a ancol fat boy, ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Acticat-Scratch-Post-70cm/dp/B001159A7W )which is actually quite sturdy - find it sturdier than the ultimate scratcher ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Cat-Ultimate-Scratching-Post/dp/B000634MH8) they def use that the most for scratching.

the ancol doesnt screw into the wall, but it is big and my big boy can almost make it to the top of it. He's also been known to sit on it...
you can see it in this picture :

they also really use one i got from lidl/aldi a few years ago - it is screwed in which really helps with the stability.  never touched the hammock though

what i have discovered, is that they dont tend to use the big one for scratching as they dont like going over the jutting out bits to scratch. find it hard to scratch over them. so they tend to use the really long bit only. (pic is old!) so when they want a scratch they go to the fatboy. 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 17:16:03 PM »
To a certain extent you get what you pay for with cat trees so a good, solid one is worth forking out for if possible.  The sisal rope posts on my newest cat tree are in a worse state than the posts on the one I've had for 17 years (both have had a lot of usage).  Then of course long time Purrs members will remember this pic of my zooplus cat tree

It's been in 2 parts ever since!

It was the hammock leaning out over the side that did it (and no Jaffa wasn't a fat cat!  ;D )

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 00:05:58 AM »

Wow those are nice trees, expensive nice but sooooooo expensive. ;D

Bargain basement time £19.99 plus £4.99 p&p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easipet-Cat-Tree-Brown-Beige/dp/B006DDNR5S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420156962&sr=8-4&keywords=cat+trees

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 17:57:54 PM »
I particularly like the 'catable' and the sofa!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 16:05:32 PM »
Thanks for that link Jiji wi;; have to look more carefully

You have to be a real DIY person for most of that in your link Susanne and have to say I really like the all in one bathroom  ;D ;D ;D

Lupin sprays and often goes over the back of tray but there is a big high sided tray in Jijis link but he may not like this....you are so right Susanne they make us feel guilty!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 19:34:30 PM »
Mosi's asleep now on the top perch of the one I'm planning to replace.  He's been on it a lot today.  why do they always do that?  the minute you plan to replace something they use it non stop and make you feel guilty for even thinking about throwing it out.  It needs to be replaced as the carpet on it is threadbare and has come away from the platforms on both levels.  He's giving me that "if you throw this out I'll report you for cruelty" look  :innocent:

I am thinking outside the box a bit now and thinking about how I could utilise small shelving/storage units to act as a sort of room divider (I don't mind the litter tray being on view but it wouldn't hurt to screen it a bit!) and attach a wall mounting scratch pad to the side, Velcro a fleecy blanket to the top etc.   Will need to investigate that a bit more. 

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 18:36:25 PM »
I have a couple of the ultimate scratching posts with perches for the boys, they look good and the woven sisal doesn't shed or show the wear like the rope, they are used both for scratching and snoozing on, which is why I bought the second one a few weeks ago so they have one each to nap on next the the radiator now  :) 

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/search_adv.asp?sp=smartcat&NavSource=search

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 18:14:41 PM »
you've got me drooling now, Susanne - came across these when googling http://www.crrailisocats.co.uk/
I would urge you though to ring Kalven to discuss what you want - Val who owns the site loves to chat cats with callers, and you will not get a hard sell
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 17:52:26 PM »
so hard to find the right one and when you do there's no guarantee the furbs will like it as much as we do!

Some helpful links above but none quite what I am looking for.  Kalven have a nice, solid looking one which would work if they could make the posts a little taller (it does say they can customise them) but that would no doubt add to the price and make it a bit too pricey.

while googling I stumbled on here - I love the cat friendly shelves 2nd pic down - great idea - a storage unit/book shelves that have been done in a way to be used by cats too.  I like that approach!  Does anyone know where you can buy L shaped shelves like in that?

http://www.boredpanda.com/cat-furniture/

Some other great pics on there - I wonder whether Mosi would like an Indiana Jones hammock  :rofl:  Best not let him look at that link as he might start demanding I plant grass along the middle of the his coffee table  :scared:

For this shorter tree I want to get away from the faux fur/carpet traditional cat tree and try to find something a bit more contemporary looking.  As long as it has at least one perch at the top and something to scratch on. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 17:55:58 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 17:03:00 PM »
I'm still looking for spare legs for our tree, which is getting more and more wobbly by the day. I think I might need to buy a new one and cannibalise the legs so I'm looking for something that won't require a second mortgage!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 16:02:54 PM »
Love that link PB  ;D

Cat trees are in my opinon problamatic!

So hard to get one as needed and although love Kays link just far too expensive.

I currently have an old fridge in middle of kitchen floor with a large pile of carpet tiles on whicj I hope to be getting on floor soon and fridge to leave.

But its Lupins fav resting place and he eats up there cos the other two cant reach it, so will be on the search like Susanne but it must have a larger than normal top platform.

Just searched all links given but nothing close

sorry for hijacking

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 13:22:43 PM »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
I used one of thsoe to give my cats access to the top of the wardrobe from the dressing table, Frances - as the cave was never used I put a brick inside, which gave the whole thing a lot more stability when a cat launched itself on to the top

the advantage of trees like the Kalven ones, though, is that they are very liveable with from  a person point of view - I have  been known to use the bottom of my three tier one  http://www.kalven.co.uk/index.php/products/sleepy-cat/t28a  as a footrest, and I use the middle bed to hoist myself upright from my knees after seeing to the multi-fuel stove
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
Kay, I really like the look of the Kalven trees and bookmarked their site for future reference :shify:.

My three currently have two of these http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/small/small_cat_trees_height_80_cm/37574.  I got the first one when the boys first arrived, so it's now just over four years old, and the second one when Eleanor arrived just over a year ago.  For the price, they are quite sturdy and get used both for scratching and as a stepladder to reach the window cill.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
have you had a look at this site, Susanne? http://www.kalven.co.uk/

I've had one of their trees for 5 years now and it is virtually as good as new, as they are really sturdy
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Another cat tree/scratching post query
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
I'm looking to replace my short cat tree (not sure it's big enough to be called a tree!) as the existing one was bought when Jaffa and Magpie were kittens so is now 17 years old and most of the carpet covering has come off.  I've decided a new one is in order.  I have a taller one in the corner but this one is just under 3 ft tall and consists of 2 carpet covered platforms (plus base) connected by sisal scratching posts.  It's near the window so it's main purpose is to provide a perch from which they can look out of the window.

Looking at the link provided in the recent cat tree thread via hauspanther website, I really like this one

http://www.profeline-shop.com/cat-trees-scratching-posts/wall-supported-cat-trees/wall-supported-cat-tree-model-hugo.html

However, it needs attaching to the wall and I want free standing plus I'd need to take out a small mortgage to be able to afford it.  But I like the styling.  I'd like something quite modern looking and stylish.   Any ideas? 

Link to CatChat