Author Topic: Insurance problem - is there any way around this?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Insurance problem - is there any way around this?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 16:04:56 PM »
So agree with Helen about keeping insurance as I know to my cost when cancelled Napoleon and Duchas policies.

I thought the worst that could happen was kidney failure but Napoleon ended up with seizures and then a month in hospital for an unrelated problem which resulted in a £3000 bill!

Luckily my vet was really kind and knocked £1000 off and allowed me to pay by installments but after losing Napoleon it was the longest 18 months you can imagine.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 15:28:59 PM »
Hi TM, thanks for the very helpful reply.

Drum's condition wasn't pre-existing, but it started within two weeks of taking out the new policy, and you can't claim for anything which starts during the first two weeks - what you're supposed to do if your cat's in an accident, I don't know.

I'm tempted to cancel the policy but knowing my luck Drum will develop something else!

I think it could be classed as pre-existing (which could actually work in your favour). If she was drinking more when you had the initial policy, but this was only mentioned at the booster check up at which point you had the new policy then the argument above still stands - it would depend on whether it was made clear about whether 'pre-existing' would be covered when you changed policies.

You can view previous ombudsman's decisions and it's often mentioned that the owner knew 'something' was wrong even though there was no diagnosis and so this IS classed as pre-existing. This normally means the complaint is not upheld as most complaints about this are where the owner takes out a new policy 1st March, goes to vets on 1st April and tells vet the pet has been drinking more since 1st January therefore the insurer declines the claim as the condition was pre-existing, even though th eowner didn't know it was kidney disease. In your case the argument is more about whether you were informed pre-existing/first two weeks wouldn't be covered when you changed policy types.

Either way I wouldn't cancel the policy if you can still afford the premiums, hopefully you won't need to use it but I wouldn't ever be without insurance as long as I could afford the premiums.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 15:09:37 PM »
Hi TM, thanks for the very helpful reply.

Drum's condition wasn't pre-existing, but it started within two weeks of taking out the new policy, and you can't claim for anything which starts during the first two weeks - what you're supposed to do if your cat's in an accident, I don't know.

I'm tempted to cancel the policy but knowing my luck Drum will develop something else!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 14:27:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this Jezebel, the last thing you need on top of the bad news about Drum being poorly  :hug: I think the key point is whether you were made aware there would be no cover for 'pre-existing' conditions if you changed the policy type? If you weren't then I think it's reasonable for a consumer to expect that, as there was no break in cover, you would be covered for pre-existing - albeit only able to claim at the reduced policy limits. This is even more prudent seeing as your post said THEY suggested you take out the different policy, in order to reduce the premiums.

The fact that you were aware 'something' was wrong ie drinking more, even though you had no formal diagnosis as she hadn't had the tests means that it would be classed as pre-existing I'm afraid so the only angle to pursue is whether it was made clear that no cover for pre-existing would be in place.

You could ask for them to listen to a copy of the phonecall when you changed policies, you can also ask for copies/transcripts of telephone calls yourself under a subject access request (data protection act 1998) - they can charge £10 for this and must respond within 40 days.

I would make sure you complain in writing (via email if they allow as quicker), head the correspondance as 'complaint' and then if they give a final response not in your favour you can take the matter the finacial ombudsman - this will cost MoreThan £550  :naughty:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 14:06:46 PM »
Oh dear, what terrible timing  :(  More Than might be correct if you look at the exact letter of the law but I can understand how you feel as you were already a customer of theirs  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 13:05:27 PM »
Very bad timing, unless its urgent I never take a cat to the vets in first two weeks of a new policy.

Afraid you are stuck with this as all companies will exclude existing conditions.

I have a 16 yr old and a 12yr old and as was with AXA who wanted to bump their polisies up big time I moved them to maybe More Than but wasnt happy as had to buy their top policy to get life cover which was a rip off, so have moved them to Argos but still very expensive.

I wanted to get them settled with a company with life cover before any problems

:Lupin is still with AXA as he is hard to get a decent policy for at a decent rate just cos he is a pedigree but suppose that I really should look to move him!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Insurance problem - is there any way around this?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
This is a case of really bad timing!

Last year I insured Drum and Bass with More Than (not the cheapest but so few companies will insure oldies now). However, when it came to renew this year, the premium was really expensive - and I hadn't even made a claim - so I rang them to see what they could offer, which turned out to be nothing! They suggested I take out a cheaper policy (half the cover for a lot more than half the premium!), which I went for. Of course, this meant cancelling the expensive policy and in effect (even though it was the same company and the same cats) taking out a brand new one.

Then I took D&B for their boosters, and mentioned to the vet that Drum had been drinking a lot. She suggested giving her a bit longer and bringing her in for tests if she wasn't any better. Long story short, Drum had blood and urine tests a few weeks later, followed by a scan which showed kidney disease, and an AB injection, which in all came to over £300. I claimed for it but More Than refused to pay because Drum had first showed signs of the illness within two weeks of my taking out the new policy. Technically, I suppose they're right - I first mentioned it to the vet when I took them for their boosters, although it was a few weeks later before she had the tests.

More Than now say I can't claim for any treatment connected with Drum's kidney disease. Ever!

Is there any way round this? If I try a different insurer, is it true they won't cover existing conditions?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:57:33 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Link to CatChat