Author Topic: tesco pet insurance  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: tesco pet insurance
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 13:31:47 PM »
I pay axa monthly so no refund but the policy just cancelled, well refund if paid after date of death.

The new policies with other companies are like credit agreements and think you have to keep paying..............totally sucks the greedy  :censored:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
I phoned, apparently I should have notified the payment section, I'm not liable to pay them but oscar being pts isn't a big enough clue as the claims section and the payment section don't communicate such information

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
just had a look at the policy doc, seems they treat it as a monthly policy if you pay monthly

"we agree to provide you with one month of cover for each montly payment we receive from you"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19:55 AM »
We insure with Healthy Pets.  When we lost Mac and then Ross, we cancelled and both times  were advised to stop our direct debit.  I got a demand letter after losing Mac saying we had to cough up.  I rang them, and they initially denied having told me to cancel, but I was able to produce the relevant email.  They apologised.  I had no such trouble the second time when we'd lost Ross.  I think it varies from Insurer to Insurer.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
that does make perfect sense helen which is why I asked, but like frances my last two insurers have both refunded when Algie and Amber died - I will give them a call and see

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
Hi Dawn

So sorry to hear about Oscar, what a horrible year you've had  :( :hug: I don't know what Tesco's specific policy is but I know with Axa that you DO have to continue paying the preimums in the event of your pets death  :( Everytime I ring them for a claim form they point it out to me, even though I pay annually - in which case they wouldn't refund the partial premium as was the case for Frances.

I think the same applies to car insurance for example - say I bought an annual policy on 1st jan for £500 - the 'risk' is the same to them whether I pay annually or monthly so if I wrote my car off on 2nd january they wouldn't refund the premium and if I paid monthly the monthly premiums would get taken off my settlement. Sorry to put something so emotional into black and white terms like this, just trying to explain the logic behind it  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »
did wonder that frances but if you were of a sensitive nature it could be very upsetting, I also thought the use of the word default made it sound like a debit, they really should cross check

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
I paid Woody's insurance annually (NFU) and got a partial refund after he was pts.  I'm no insurance expert but I don't think they expect you to keep on paying - I suspect Tesco's computer just picks up on the "missing" payment and churns out letters automatically, whether it's car, home or pet insurance. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
tesco pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:06 AM »
Oscar was insured with Tesco, he was put to sleep on 4 November and they have paid up, his direct debit comes out on the 16th of the months so I cancelled it - I have now had a letter from them saying I have defaulted and my insurance has been cancelled.  With other cats  who have died I have always done the same and never had a problem, surely I'm not supposed to keep on paying, anyone know?

Link to CatChat