Author Topic: Getting vomit stains out of carpet - suggestions please!  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Getting vomit stains out of carpet - suggestions please!
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 19:06:46 PM »
I am really wary of using Vanish as I have halos on all the areas I treated on my cream carpet (80% wool) whereas Oxy-kic hasn't left a mark. Willow threw up the other day and I treated it with oxy-kic pet and the stain went completely.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 18:31:49 PM »
Well, I've not had time to go to Lakeland so I picked up a can of Vanish stain remover carpet powershot when I was in Asda the other day.  After testing it on a piece of spare carpet yesterday I zapped a couple of vomit stains today and it's worked great - they're completely gone and no fading/bleaching of the carpet.  I can't tell where the stains were now, it's worked that well.  And they were quite old stains.  I was a bit worried about the safety issue of spraying it on the carpet in case the cats walked over the cleaned area then licked their feet, but I managed to cover the areas with upturned boxes so that they wouldnt' walk on the cleaned areas and I assume it will be ok once it's dry (nearly dry now). 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 19:51:08 PM »
BTW - I took back my can of oxy-kic pet that jammed this morning with about 1/4 left in it and they gave me a new one  ;D
I love Lakeland - full of gadgets  ;D - I bought a gadget that breaks an egg so you dont get any shell in the pan and the yolk doesn't break.

I also took back 2 t-shirts to gap and they refunded £12.00, then went to H&M and got 3 t-shirts AND a Polo shirt for total £15.00 - so quite a result today  ;D

Also got 40 bars of pears soap in Wilkinsons for £9.80

Bargainhunt or what  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 19:51:50 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 19:34:36 PM »
Also used them for vomit and blood when I cut my toe! Its like magic!!

> QP......so you were sick when you cut your toe  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 18:56:52 PM »
I've got some of those in the bathroom so will try  ;D

I was a bit miffed that they aren't flushable  :sick:

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 17:23:46 PM »
I used these http://img.tesco.com/pi/xpi/1/5051140157111_200.jpg   when Menue had runny poo and decided not to use the litter tray and do it on my cream carpet! Before hand, I had used some capret cleaner, but it was still stained, so I tried these and it went! Also used them for vomit and blood when I cut my toe! Its like magic!!
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
£14.00?

I pay £7.99 in Lakeland. It seems to do the job on spot stains, you don't want to be buying a can every week. It saved my new carpet when I dropped coffee on it - however, willow trashed it in the end  :(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »
I bought it on ebay Mark as it was cheaper with the postage than the others. It arrived yesterday. It's the normal kind for all kind of stains. Is that right?! I have light coloured carpet with quite a few direct hits of varying vintage on it and an IKEA runner in the hall passage which I think is nylon and is multi-coloured. I'm a bit worried about that one. Cost £14 so may be cheaper to replace the rug than keep buying oxy whatsit :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »
Well I'm not impressed with the "Oxy-kic pe". I was cooking breakfast and a stuck-up guest called me out. She said "I think you need to clear up in the dining room" - Willow had puked up Hills biscuits  :sick: - I got the worst of it up and sprayed then left it for 5 minutes (as it says on can). The stain is still there. My karcher carpet cleaner will work on it though  ;D

Luckily the oxy-kic packed up 1/2 way through the can so I am going to get my money back or change it for the regular oxy-kic which is much better.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 11:11:23 AM »
You can get it in Lakeland for £7.99

You can buy it on ebay but its more expensive with postage.

It might work but its a gamble - I've tried every kind of stain remover going and its the only one that really does get rid of "most" stains.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:12:47 AM by Mark »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »
I can try lemonade on some of mine then, but where do you buy oxy-kic? Would it work on flower stains? Max knocked over a vase of alstromerias about 8 months ago and they left a nice yellow pukey looking stain on the carpet. Very visible place (of course).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 07:14:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I think I'll try some of the oxy stuff in an inconspicuous area and see if it causes any problems.  I do live near a lakeland store so could get hold of the oxy-kic stuff but am a bit alarmed about your curtains, Mark!!

I think the pet one is a different formula so would stick with the regular in future. I have never had any prblems with it on carpet or upholstery. The other good thing about it is it doesn't foam so easy to dab off

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 05:28:04 AM »
Hi Susanne

Yes, just normal lemonade! Pour it onto the area, just enough for the stained area, then add salt and rub it. The salt will act as an abrasive. Then dab over the area with water, once dry, vaccuum it up.   ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 23:18:44 PM »
It was the pet version. I have never had problems with the regular version on carpet. The curtains are Villa Nova fabric - I suppose they are "dry clean only"

Coincidentally, my mum called yesterday and asked what she can use to ge cat poo out of a carpet runner - she has tried simple and no luck.

I think oxy-kic is the only way to go.

Annoyingly, Willow peed on the curtains last week and I sprayed them with simple solution and they didn't run , nor did it leave any "halo".

I guess I should have tested 1st  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 21:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I think I'll try some of the oxy stuff in an inconspicuous area and see if it causes any problems.  I do live near a lakeland store so could get hold of the oxy-kic stuff but am a bit alarmed about your curtains, Mark!!

fluffybunny - I'm already using the simple solution but it has no effect whatsoever on the stains  :(

rosiesmum - it would never occur to me to try lemonade and salt!  Do you just mix them together and rub in?  Just normal lemonade?  Does it have to have lemons in it?!  ;D

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 21:06:01 PM »
Have you tried rubbing it in with your feet LOL ..I have to throw away 3 rugs as Yumi seems to have a vomit issue !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 17:13:41 PM »
A strange suggestion but..........

Have you tried, lemonade and salt? I have a biscuit coloured suite, and for small stains I use that and it works ok. It seams to 'lift' the stain out.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 17:06:09 PM »
Warning re the Oxy-kic pet.

Willow peed up my expensive diningroom curtains this morning. I sprayed with oxy-kic pet. The blue dye ran into the cream  >:( - £1000+ pair of curtains  >:( >:(
Willow's days are numbered  >:(

williow ur a badddddddddddd girl

omg mark
u  must feel like screaming

MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 16:57:45 PM »
Warning re the Oxy-kic pet.

Willow peed up my expensive diningroom curtains this morning. I sprayed with oxy-kic pet. The blue dye ran into the cream  >:( - £1000+ pair of curtains  >:( >:(
Willow's days are numbered  >:(

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 15:40:29 PM »
I use simple solution stain & odour remover: http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=5bf199dcf63298e184aebe6d7507dfb3

Before he started having antepsin, my old boy would vomit bile on the carpet nightly and this stuff always got it out brilliantly without affecting the carpet colour.  It even smells quite pleasant!

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 17:51:01 PM »
We've ripped up carpets and put down easy-to-clean laminate flooring... much easier!  ;D Actually, there's only one single room with carpet left in it - and guess where Poppy went the other day to cough up hairball? Apparently, it is much nicer to do it on carpet...  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 22:18:12 PM »
I wonder if it would have the same reaction as nail varnish......you add it to remove it  :sick: "Sorry"

Not as odd as it sounds. being as its hydrochloric acid + food  :sick:, maybe a weak acid like lemon juice or Kim & Aggies favourite white vinegar would do it. On the other hand, you might end up with a hole in the carpet  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 21:37:42 PM »
I wonder if it would have the same reaction as nail varnish......you add it to remove it  :sick: "Sorry"

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 21:31:16 PM »
I tried vanish on my cream wool carpet in a guest room and it left a lighter halo so I had to buy a rug to cover it up  :-[

I bought some to use in my rented flat to get rid of some stains on the carpet and the same happened to me and the area around the stain is lighter so it look even worse than it did before I tried to clean it!!

Thats what mine is like. It makes the rest of the carpet look dirty. Its not as I shampoo them all the time. The bed cover was £110.00 as well so I was gutted. Oxy-kic doesn't do that - I  swear by  it   :censored:  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 22:16:15 PM by Mark »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 20:46:32 PM »
I tried vanish on my cream wool carpet in a guest room and it left a lighter halo so I had to buy a rug to cover it up  :-[

I bought some to use in my rented flat to get rid of some stains on the carpet and the same happened to me and the area around the stain is lighter so it look even worse than it did before I tried to clean it!!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 20:44:44 PM »
oh i also just use normal bio washing powder....prob depends how soon its caught tho!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 20:42:45 PM »
Have you tried bicarb......i know its good on baby puke!!!  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 17:41:12 PM »
I also tried it on a cotton quilt when somebody spilled coffee and it did the same thing - I only gave it to the red cross this week  >:( - bought a cheap portuguese type one to replace it.

BTW - this was a trigger one that comes out as foam.

PS - I spoke too soon when I said I hadn't tried the oxy-kic pet. I came out of the kitchen and smelled something nasty. Clapton had pooed in the dining room - luckily it was a (very) dry one. I still squirted the stuff on the carpet. Also willow had weed in there again  >:( - No more cats!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 17:43:24 PM by Mark »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 17:33:58 PM »
I use Vanish mousse on the carpet or furniture when the cats throw up on it and it works really well.
love
Tab

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 17:21:28 PM »
Vanish is good.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 16:31:48 PM »
Oxy-kic made by Bissell is the best thing going but might not work on old stains. a guest decided to eat a punnet of raspberries in their room and got the juice on an expensive Ethan Allen chair. I squirted the stuff on and the stain vanished instantly.

I just remembered, they have just bought out a pet version, I bought some last week but haven't used it yet - I just looked on the back and it says urine, vomit, feces, blood, tracked in dirt. I haven't tried the pet one yet but if its as good as the other one, it "should" work.

They are oxgen based. There are 2 aluminium tanks and the fluids combine.

The regular is £7.99 & the pet is £9.99 but a bigger can.
Its made in USA

I get mine in Lakeland which surprisingly is the cheapest place for it. You can get it on ebay but its more expensive even without postage.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 16:28:54 PM »
Vanish foam is quite good for most things, but never tried it on pukey stains lol!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Getting vomit stains out of carpet - suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 16:15:12 PM »
My newish (just over a year old), plain carpet is now nicely patterned by puke stains which I can't get out  :sick: :evillaugh:  What with Jaffa's vomiting (quite rare now) and Mosi having a recent hairball problem, I'm finding small amounts of brown bile quite frequently.  I'm cleaning the areas with simple solution but a stain is always left.   Despite repeated cleaining and using a carpet cleaner (no wet wonder foam - but it is an old bottle so maybe active ingredient just not working any more) I just can't get rid of the stains.  Any suggestions?

Link to CatChat