Author Topic: Travelling on ferry with cat.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Travelling on ferry with cat.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
Hi Sarah and welcome  :xmas welcome:

When I relocated Polly she was in the basket for around 5 hours. Halfway home I stopped the car and let her have the run of the inside of the car for half an hour or so. She was just fine, shared part of my ham sandwich then settled back down happily in her basket.

In your case I'd have some puppy pads to line the bottom of Mollys basket just in case of accident, and stay with her in the car if you're allowed to do so. This should reduce her stress as she won't be aware of the changes going on outside the environment of the car.

Rosella's idea of taking two baskets is genius. I have collapsible carriers which might make sense for this trip. This one looks good and wouldn't take much room.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=771&pf_id=60234

Zylkene really works, sprinkle on her food for a couple of days beforehand.

Pet remedy spray is also very effective, buy the tiny bottle and see if she responds to it, my lot love it. http://www.petremedy.co.uk

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 18:31:42 PM »
Good idea Mary , all the cats on this site can actually read, write and type.  A clever lot they are.  :rofl: 

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 18:13:25 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Never had any experience of things like this but sounds good what Rosella said.

I guess it's similar to humans on a long journey really:

Sickness pills
Food
Water
Toilet
Favourite toy
Calming music
OR MAYBE A GOOD BOOK OR MAGAZINE  :naughty: :naughty:

Good luck.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 14:10:18 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to Purrs Sarah. 

That's quite a long journey for both you and Molly and I very much hope the trip goes smoothly.  This looks like a good link re choosing a carrier :)

http://www.icatcare.org:8080/advice/how-guides/how-choose-and-use-cat-carrier

Rather than getting a carrier that is too large, if it were me, I would take two carriers for the inevitable clean up and also a Feliway or Pet Remedy calming spray.  You may also want to consider using Zylkene capsules on her food for a while before the trip in an effort to calm her down. 

Is this a one way trip or are you coming back?  I have family near Ballymena and we did the run from there to Birmingham via the Stranraer ferry in September but not with any cats ....

Offline Sarah237

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Molly
Travelling on ferry with cat.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 13:04:13 PM »
Hello, I am travelling from England to Northern Ireland via ferry with my cat. (Car journey from Leicester to Wales, ferry for 3.5 hours then a car journey from dublin to belfast)

I took Molly in about a year ago as she was stray and have kept her indoors. She has settled well. She is timid however and easily frightened.

I would like to know how to best make her comfortable whilst on the ferry. She will have to remain in the vehicle for the duration. Should I purchase a larger carrier for comfort?

Thanks in advance!

Link to CatChat