Author Topic: RIP Ginger 29-7-15 :(  (Read 28524 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Ginge Poorly :(
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »

Oh Sootyca.   Very difficult trying to second guess these situations.  Whilst I'd canvass the opinion of your vet, I think that you also know Ginge better than anyone else, and you know whether his quality of life is deteriorating to a point whether he's just existing or is going thruogh a bad patch.   :hug:

I dont envy your choice.  I do know that with hindsight, I wish I'd had the courage and the wisdom to let Paddy go much sooner than I did.  I could have made it so much easier for him.   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 00:48:06 AM »
So sorry he has gone downhill and hope the tablets do the trick for him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 22:42:17 PM »
After a couple of good months, Ginge has now gone back downhill :(  He did put on weight but his levels still weren't right when he had his bloods done.  He was taken off tablets as we couldn't always make sure he gets the full dosage that he needed and put on the transdermal ear gel.  Initially he didn't like having this done and would twitch his ears and flatten them to stop me doing it - never worked and he got his dosage. 

However, he has now gone back to pre-tablet lethargy and lack of appetite.  I also suspect he has either gone deaf or just doesn't have the energy to respond - he never twitches his ears at any noise at all now and putting the gel in his ears has been easy.

Going to get him into the vets again this week and suspect he will have to go back onto tablets - even if we can't guarantee getting the right dosage for him he was much better on them than this gel.  I was considering paying for the op for him but I just wonder if the risk will be to great for him.  Harsh as it sounds, I can't really afford the £400+ I've been quoted if he isn't going to survive much longer.

If he has lost his hearing I'm not sure if it wouldn't be kinder to let him go - he is an outdoor cat, not overly happy inside and don't think he would adapt to being inside permanently. Being free roaming and deaf doesn't sound a great combination.

Will have to see what the vets advise I suppose - I'm quite happy to get him back on tablets and hope he perks back up.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2014, 19:34:36 PM »
So pleased he is doing so well  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2014, 14:34:08 PM »
Really pleased to hear that news!   ;D

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 13:10:07 PM »
Thats great news  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Ginge has been back for his check up today and has put on 350g in approx 4 weeks.  Yay.

He was due to have bloods taken but we are changing his medication as he is getting wise to all the tablet hiding spots in his food and is beginning to miss a dosage.  He will now be having a tablet that can be crushed into his food instead of one that is a slow release.

Really pleased that he is putting weight on - his appetite has dropped as well so it's all good :D

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 18:17:31 PM »
Hope he is back soon

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 18:09:58 PM »
Aw Sootyca - am so pleased.  Was hoping he'd turn up.  Probably just ridding himself of the vet smell by taking an airing.  ;) :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2014, 17:55:32 PM »
He won't stay in - cries and wails if a door is shut on him - he's a proper outdoor cat.  Doesn't bother about the weather.  Plus he has a very strong smell which really isn't pleasant. :)  The one time I did have to keep him after having his teeth out he trashed the cage he was in!

Turned up for his tea and louder than ever.  Going to have to trust him more! 

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2014, 13:49:29 PM »
Oh nooooooooooooo.

I thought you were probably keeping him in!

Hope he turns up very soon and your weather is better than here

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 13:42:40 PM »
He's either sulking or got himself into trouble - not seen him now since supper last night.  Normally it doesn't bother me when he doesn't show up for a few hours but at the moment he's a bit too fragile to be missing meals.  Hopefully he will come back for his tea later.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »

Aaaahhh - yuo know my penchant for ginegrs is legendary, and he's a little beauty, blesshis paws.  What a hansum cat.  I love the little golden oldies, too.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 05:37:42 AM »
Aww what a gorgeous little man :Luv2: :Luv2:

Sending lots more good vibes, Ginges way :hug: :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 22:55:47 PM »
Gorgeous  and I love pale Gingers  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 22:53:35 PM »
The picture is before his recovery :)

He's still eating and behaving like he's never had anything wrong with him.  I've taken off the top layer of the bandage as it was tight and bothering him a bit. 

Back at the vets on Saturday to start his Thyroid treatment.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 22:38:14 PM »
So great  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 21:02:05 PM »
Oh blimey  :) :) :)  How wonderful is that?   :wow: :wow: :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 20:45:25 PM »
That's just brilliant

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 19:58:46 PM »
Excellent news!  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 18:41:56 PM »
He's back and it's like he's never been ill!  Seriously, complained all the way home and then demanded food the moment the carrier was open.  :Luv:

Eaten a full sachet of applaws chicken and some biscuits and am sure he would have had more.

Yay!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 17:44:57 PM »
So pleased to read this Sootyca.   ;D  C'mon Ginge.  We're all rooting for you, sunshine.  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 16:55:24 PM »
Good boy Ginge, keep up the good work  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »
Great news and keep on eating Ginge  ;D ;D ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »
ah great news. hope he keeps eating. my cat who is 19 has hyperthyroidism, and she eats 4 sachets a food a day! :) He sounds like a lovely cat. Any pics?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
 :wow:

He is coming home today

:dance narna: :dance narna: :dance narna:

He's eaten overnight and is much brighter. Has a bit of diahorrea but nothing that will not clear up and they think he will be better at home.  He has to keep eating and then go back in a few days to get his thyroid treatment started. I think they want to give him a few days without medication or anything to see if he will eat without assistance.  He's obviously not out of the woods cos he needs to maintain his eating habits but if he does then yay.

Really didn't think he would survive.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
So sorry to hear about Ginge  :hug: I am not surprised you are missing him, he sounds lovely  :)  I do hope whatever ails him can be sorted  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
No idea on his numbers but will ask when they ring this morning - I think he is quite high.  They did get to look in his mouth but nothing out of the ordinary - he hasn't many teeth left to cause him problems. 

I did wonder if it was his tongue after he bit a hole in it but he isn't showing anysign of infection and was eating quite normally for 4 weeks after doing it - though he did miss a few meals by not being around. It could just be the dehydration stopping him from wanting to eat - he will have been on a drip now for 2 days so would think he would be rehydrated.

Hopefully he will have eaten properly overnight - he is eating small amounts but nothing that could sustain him long term.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 00:02:48 AM »
As far as I know a cancerous tumour would affect his bloods but Dawn would know cos of her poor  Oscar

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 22:39:28 PM »
Have just skimmed your recent posts re Ginge.  Poor poor boy  :( :( :(  I don't suppose he has allowed a look into his mouth yet?  So sad  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 22:32:53 PM »
The bloods are back ............  It is showing that he is hyperthyroid, which we did expect, but nothing else. 

What are his numbers showing hyperT?  I was told our Tom was hyperT but he was only very marginally above high end of normal range.

Is it possible that initially dehydration/sore tongue put him off eating.  Have you tried going to the surgery and feeding him by hand?  Worth a shot?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 22:16:46 PM »
They haven't mentioned an enlarged thyroid gland - I remember the first time he went on an unrelated issue that he said that it wasn't enlarged at all.

I was reading up on the thyroid and a small percentage of cats do lose their appetite but it usually goes hand in hand with other symptoms and can clear up when they start on the thyroid treatment.  He hasn't got any other symptoms at all - which is good.  I suppose it's possible that he has gone from one extreme (always hungry and wanting food) to the other.

Anyone know if a tumour would show up in blood work? I always imagine cancerous tumours would alter the cell count and therefore show up but I'm not sure if a non-cancerous one would.

Anyhoo, fingers crossed he eats properly overnight.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 19:19:51 PM »
is it possible an enlarged thyroid gland is making swallowing uncomfortable? When I suffered from temporary thyroiditis I found it difficult
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 18:16:26 PM »
thats good news in a way that they didnt find anything. Maybe it is just a bug thats put him off his food? or maybe he has a sore throat?

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 17:41:06 PM »
So strange!

however Kocka had a thyroid removed and she lost so much weight and eating was a real problem cos she just didnt want to.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 17:37:59 PM »
The bloods are back and they are no nearer finding out why he is not eating!  It is showing that he is hyperthyroid, which we did expect, but nothing else.  The vet said normally they eat a lot when hyper so he isn't showing typical symptoms - but I did tell her up until last Wednesday that would have been him.   Constantly wanting food.

He has apparently eaten a little bit of food again today but nothing like he should be doing so they are keeping him in on the medication and on the drip.  When he is eating properly they will look at his treatment for hyperthyroid.

Not sure what else they can do to find out why he isn't eating as I would have expected anything bad to show up on his blood results.   The best guess at the moment is that he has had some sort of bug that has stopped him eating and for some reason he won't start eating again. They have managed to check his mouth and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary there.

All very odd.  If he doesn't eat overnight I will have to see what they can do next.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 16:11:11 PM »
In a way they worm in more cos you know they need help and have come to you for it. Sending loads more good vibes for Ginge  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
poor ginge, still you can't do more than you are already, as had already been said the heart mumer isn't a problem we had one go on for years with one

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
First off, thanks for all the support.   :hug:

Can't fault the vets for keeping me informed! He's had a comfortable night and has eaten a tiny bit of dry food this morning and is brighter than yesterday but he is on a bit of medication.  Will get the bloods back later today they think and then will have to see what they show up and what the options are.  I forgot to ask if they managed to look in his mouth.

Hopefully getting him rehydrated will be helping him want to eat again.

Just hope that it comes back as something treatable - don't want to have put him through this only to have to let him go at the end of it. Surprising how one tiny little orange stray has wormed himself into my affections - didn't realise how much I would miss him!

Karen
x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:51:40 AM »

Topping up all of the love and positive wishes for Ginge. 

I agree about the heart murmur - Paddy lived with one for years without being troubled by it. 

Link to CatChat