Author Topic: Raw feed  (Read 2012 times)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
Re: Raw feed
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
I have been swapping with raw food firms since Woldsway closed. Most of the time I have been using nurturing by nature. But when they didn't have what I wanted I ordered from natural instincts. My lot didn't like it so I went back to N by N. I tried natures menu, and forthglade. But again the cats turned their noses up at the minces. But I haven't tried them on the nature's menu complete nuggets. But it works out rather expensive to feed six cats that way.  The last two orders have been with Landywoods. But they only deliver every four weeks to my area. So it's back to N by Nature.
Lanywoods is very cheap, but for the minces you have to order 20 at a time. Which doesn't give room for much variety unless you have a massive freezer. 
Julie.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 18:16:54 PM »
Well after seeing this thread a while ago and not realising that nature's menu have also brought out a raw cat food, I thought I'd give it a try and the cats LOVE it.  It's far more convenient than natural instinct because it is in nuggets rather than a solid block.  This means that it doesn't take as long to defrost, is easier to store, can be mixed so it's not all the same flavour in one go and means it's easier for my OH to 'ration' the treats he gives!  They love the chicken and salmon one in particular, which is great as Milly doesn't have a big appetite but it's quite stinky so she finds it very attractive.  I've also found a pet place just a couple of miles up the road from me who can order it in for me.  I'd swap completely straight away if I hadn't just won 10kg of natural instinct in the purrs auction  :shy: :Crazy: It means I can mix it in nicely over a period of time though. 

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 16:43:16 PM »
I feed natural instinct raw.  I started to swap onto it about 10 months ago to try and alleviate one of my cat's allergies which seemed to be food related.  It took quite a lot of trial and error to get it right, for instance they will only eat the lamb and chicken flavour, and it took a while to encourage them onto it, to work out the right portion size, and work out when to start defrosting the next portion, but I absolutely love it now and would thoroughly recommend it.  We also spent a while mixing 'n' matching raw and some biscuits, but I soon found that it doesn't work and it really does need to be all or nothing, so we went for all. 

I find that my cats are far less 'hungry' than previously, they don't constantly beg for food and don't bug me so early in the morning for their breakfast.  I assume that's because it's all protein with no carbohydrate and they aren't therefore getting the hunger 'spikes' that you get with peaks and troughs in blood glucose with a carb laden food.  Their coats have become much more glossy and soft, Milly's over grooming has completely stopped and an added benefit is that their poos are far firmer, smaller and don't really smell.  The main down side is that there aren't all that many suppliers and you have to have enough freezer space.  I bought a small chest freezer off ebay which I keep in an outbuilding, and I get our local supplier to bulk order it in for me when I'm getting low. 

I'd thoroughly recommend it - the difference it has made to my cats is amazing and to cap it all, for such a high quality food, I reckon it's cheaper too. 

Offline furrypal

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 13:14:09 PM »
I know that feeling  :P
My freezer is full of animal food with some fish fingers and smiley faces wedged in  :rofl:

Might try her on some, our previous cat Ziggy loved raw meat, was recommended when he was ill. Never tried Toffee on it. Whenever I feed the Dog she is very interested in it.
Toffee my Bengal

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
I think Nutriment goes down quite well with most cats too.

The only thing that's stopping me giving this a go with Mosi is lack of freezer space.  The nearest he gets to raw is almo nature green label from time to time.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 22:22:45 PM »
I have fed raw for ten years. I am not keen on natures menu. Like Slugsta I feed nurturing by nature which my six cats love.
Julie.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 17:42:42 PM »
I feed my two 'nurturing by nature' raw food, I started about a year ago and they have taken to it very well.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 16:55:47 PM »
I've fed my cat Simba raw in the past (currently gone off it) and he certainly liked it. I used to let it partially defrost then split it into dessert spoon sized portions, wrap in clingfilm and re-freeze.   

Offline furrypal

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee
Raw feed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 18:21:54 PM »
My Bengal Cat Toffee, is a meat eater. She has biscuits down in a bowl however, she has always eaten meat (felix pouches etc).

Ive started to feed my Dog Natures Menu raw food, and have seen the do frozen raw Cat food too...

Has anyone fed their Cat Natures Menu raw diet/any other raw diet?
Toffee my Bengal

Link to CatChat