Author Topic: Huffing and howling  (Read 1548 times)

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Francesca, adopted 31.01.2015, and Monika 2012-2015 RIP
Re: Huffing and howling
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 23:12:35 PM »
We're constantly looking out for signs of pain, and cannot see any of those symptoms in her (we also watch her when she does not feel observed in case she's hiding the pain). She also gets acupuncture treatments which seem to have stopped the tumour growths for now. Her prognosis was that she wouldn't be alive by Christmas but she is going strong.

We feed her twice a day, morning and evening, according to her weight and needs. In the early days we fed her 3 times a day, which didn't make any difference to now.

It also seems as though she doesn't want more food... just the reaction of me getting up to follow her into the kitchen. She's become so attached that my husband could be standing in the kitchen with a cat food tin, and Monika would still tug at my sleeve to get me to feed her. She's been following me around like a puppy from day 1. She was abandoned by her previous owners and must have been longing for someone to be close to.

Otherwise she's a contented cat, she loves being outside and jumps and runs and climbs without any problems.
RIP Lovely Monika 2012 - 2015

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 22:58:57 PM »
No problem  ;D

havent seen this behaviour but wondering if she gets a pain?

Hope you feed her when she wants food  :innocent:

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 22:56:53 PM »
Sorry - realised this the moment I pressed "Post"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 22:55:41 PM »
Will move this to right place

Offline MoggyMoggs

• Kitten
Huffing and howling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 22:53:51 PM »
Every couple of weeks our cat Monika displays a strange behaviour. She sits spread-eagle on the floor, leans forward and huffs for a few seconds, then howls like a wolf. When we go to see her, she throws herself on her back and rolls around, but only let's us pet her for a very short while before jumping on her feet and walking away. (She usually does all this when out of sight, but sometimes when in the same room as us).
I mentioned this to her vet who says that she is just trying to get our attention, but I'm wondering if something else might be behind this? No one I asked about this behaviour has ever seen this with their cats.
Monika is 2 1/2 years old, spayed, and has breast cancer which she receives pain medication for.
We give her lots of attention, but she is quite persistently begging for food outside of her feeding times, and has become very attached to me.
Has anyone witnessed this crouching, huffing and howling with their cat?  :thanks:

Link to CatChat