Author Topic: Worried about weight loss?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Worried about weight loss?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 15:54:07 PM »
Hope all is OK now?

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
Ok,
I've rang the vet advice line as provided by my insurance and they have suggested that I put her under surveillance! So she's got a litter tray down, I've measured her food and water so I know what she's consuming in a 24 hour period. She also gave me advice on what to do if she stops eating etc. I've never rang before but they were really helpful. I explained that Millie is petite and she said that 3.3kg was on the lower side of average. She also said although stress can pay a part 800g is a lot of weight that isn't related to stress alone. I feel like I'm doing something now to help her and much more positive after speaking with the vet. When I was on the phone and the vet mentioned about giving her some boiled chicken I swear Millie's ears pricked up.....!! Xx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
I would be very worried if one of our cats had lost almost a kilo in weight and particularly worried if that kilo represented 25% of their body weight.  I've never known a cat's weight to alter that much without there being something wrong.

Are you quite sure of those weights or are you purrhaps comparing different scales that may not be accurate?  If you are sure, I just don't understand why the vet has not suggested investigatory blood tests  :-:  :hug: :hug:

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:09:52 AM »
Hi,

The vet was a bit confused but said she does fluctuate and as long as she didn't loose anymore, he asked about her eating and drinking etc and we said that she is acting normal. She still cries for her treats etc!!! Her mood hasn't changed either. However she knows something is a foot as we having started packing because we are moving house next week. She can also sense the baby on the way as she likes to curl on my tummy now more than ever. Usually downstairs she loves to sit with daddy but now it's all about mummy lol - not that I'm complaining!!! :Luv:

She does like wet foot big it gives her a lot of plaque on her teeth and she never seems satisfied with it so we stuck with dry food? Yeah Millie likes her water lol especially puddles.... :sick: I am worried that by giving her a mix of dry and wet that it might give her the runs?

Can I just ring that vet and ask him for full blood work? She hasn't lost anymore which is good but still a bit of a worry!

Thanks
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 23:00:16 PM »
Would get a full blood panel done including Hyperthyroid and Diabetes sugar curve as in older cats weight loss can be a sign of either of these = I have 2 Hyperthyroids at 15 and 16 and kust lost my 17yo diabetic
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Worried about weight loss?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 22:37:15 PM »
Hiya hun :)
Normally dry food is quite fattening and esp indoor cats on a mainly dry food diet are prone to be over weight.
Did the vets do any checking for any other reason for her weight loss?

Is she drinking water ok? Very important with dry food for them to have plenty of water or it can lead to kidney troubles when older.

Wet food does have much more moisture so does she like any wet food ?
Try her also with chicken and white fish.

I give mine a mix of raw, wet and dry.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
Worried about weight loss?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 22:06:10 PM »
Hiya everyone,

So a month back I took Millie to the vets as she had a weepy eye. Whilst we were there he weighed her etc. usually she is between 4-4.2kg but she weighed in at 3.3kg. She has unlimited access to dry food (whiskas senior chicken) and has a whiskas treat stick and temptations morning/night. She does have the cat milk too about 3 times a week. She never cries for food because we always make sure she has a bowl full - is that good or bad? Shall I try fattening her up a bit and what with? Usually I'm strict against her having human food as I don't want her to get an upset tummy but if there's something to help her then I wouldn't hesitate!!

Thanks in advance :)
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat