Author Topic: Feeling guilty  (Read 1967 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Feeling guilty
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Or if you have the knack of 'scruffing' - holding him by the loose skin on the back of his neck and turning him on his back. They become pretty helpless. It looks so cruel, but Comet will be fine and it will cause him minimal stress.

My cats prefer the aldi version of the chewy sticks, cheaper too  ;)
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Molly, Bugsy, Colin, Christine; Bridge kits - Ollie, Lucy, Snowy, Rug, Jenny
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
I would hope that the RSPCA would send someone who understands cats, so understands that cats don't know that being treated is for their own good and would be pleased that you are looking after him so well.

When I adopted my Jenny (RIP) she had recurrent ear mites, nothing seemed to get rid of them until the 4th round of vet-supplied drops, which must have been strong as it seemed to really sting - my lovely cuddly sociable puss used to dive under the bed and sulk for a good 15-20 minutes after application. The first time I put the stuff in, she did just that - and there was a knock on the door "Hello, I'm X from the RSPCA (shows card), just come to see how Jenny's settling in" "Oh, she's here, she's fine ...." - cat sat under bed glaring at the world with ears back. Luckily Jenny emerged and given everyone loads of purry love before the RSPCA lady had finished her cup of tea. They let me adopt another cat 4-5 months later and no problems with that visit.

Towel wrapping: I've found it best to sit with the towel on my lap and turn puss upside-down - a few tummy tickles before starting wrapping sometimes don't go amiss ;P - then - you have to be *quick* - turn up the bottom of the towel over the back legs, then wrap one side over the front paws and under the back, then the other side, keep it fairly tight at the neck, although not too tight of course.  Naughty Jenny went all limp on me one time and I had a panic attack thinking "Oh no, I've strangled my cat" - so of course I let go and she was GONE. Cheeky, I didn't fall for that one again!

Offline Stars_bright

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Millie and Comet
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 23:27:45 PM »
Thanks for tgat tip, I feel a bit lost because our previous cat was very laid back so I didn't have these problems. We have dreamies and they both love them, will try the towel idea tomorrow. Thanks again  :thanks:

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 23:18:28 PM »
You could try gently wrapping him in a towel a few times without putting the ointment on. Then giving him a treat each time and releasing him. Hopefully that way he will associate the towel wrapping with the pleasure of a treat. When he's in the towel just tickle his chin and work your hand over his head and around eye area and give him a treat and let him go. Then hopefully when you do put the ointment on he will be thinking about his treat and hardly notice what you have done. And try to be relaxed about it. If you are stressed out he will pick up on it. Dreamies make good treats as most cats love them.
Julie.

Offline Stars_bright

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 22:51:42 PM »
We have tried distracting him with treats although I'be never heard of the web os sticks, where do you getvthem from? Mybhubby suggested wrapping in a towel but I though he might panic more, if you think it's a good idea though I will try that, now any recommendations for how to do the wrapping? Our previous cat was so laid back she never scratched me once!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 22:42:43 PM »
As I have a kitten getting cream twice a day can I suugest wrapping them in a towel with all paws wrapped up less stress all round

Doing cream on my 9kg NFC's eyes now needs a bath sheet!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 22:41:22 PM »
ah poor little thing, at least you took him to the vet and got him some cream. can you maybe get some webbox sticks, most cats go mad for them, and wave them under his nose to distract him while you quickly rub some cream into his eye?

Offline Stars_bright

• Kitten
Feeling guilty
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 21:30:49 PM »
Little Comet has a sore eye. We suspect Mum, Millie, scratched him while "playing". So we took him to the vet and got some eye ointment to be applied twice a day. Well, Comet absolutely hates havinf the ointment put on and goes wild. Last night he scratched and got free from us and ran away, full pelt into a glass door! He really hit it hard but didn't seem fazed and continued to run away. This morning, in addition to his poorly eye, he now has a red nose and what I think is a bruise around it. He looks like he's been beaten up! If the RSPCA come to do their follow up visit they might think they should rescue him from us. I don't know why he's so scared of having the ointment on, we don't put it in his eye, just on the fur around it, but as soon as he sees the tube he goes ballistic.

Link to CatChat