Author Topic: DANGEROUS CAT BED please beware  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: DANGEROUS CAT BED please beware
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 22:04:04 PM »
Thanks for alerting us to this Tan  :(

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 13:08:46 PM »
Newspapers sound a good idea for insulation, and the ease of renewing them.
Julie.

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Molly, Bugsy, Colin, Christine; Bridge kits - Ollie, Lucy, Snowy, Rug, Jenny
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
I discovered that a really good thick wedge of old newspapers provides good insulation - and can simply be thrown away when they get too wet and grubby. I used to put food down for a stray at my old house in a covered tray (unused for specified purpose at that time!) as I didn't have a shed for him to get under cover. Never could catch him, poor thing must have been so badly treated: got to the point where I could get to arm's length, but he'd lash out if I reached my hand out for him to sniff, and used to stand there and swear at me while I was putting food down, etc. Had to stop feeding him when he started coming into the house during the day when I was at work and terrorising my 3 (at the time) - and peeing all over the furniture >.< - sorry stray puss, my 3 had to come first.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
That's a good idea to get a covered litter tray. I had put some towels as a bed for him in the shed. But for six months he refused to go in. Just came and hissed at me, ate his food and went. Now it's got colder and wet, he has decided the shed is a good idea. He can hear when I'm about as the lean to shed backs onto my sitting room. He can then nip around to the back door when he hears it open. Although he hisses at me I can touch his head. But he will never be an indoor cat. So the next best thing is to get him something a bit more comfortable to sleep in. Up to now he has slept in the barns and hay lofts. But has discovered he is safe in my shed and near to his food. So a covered tray sounds a better solution for his future comfort than a pile of towels.
Julie.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
I think I read about that bed on You Tube when one of the channels did a review.  I think it was Floppycats, she has one and felt it was too heavy to fall forward but then she does have to huge Rag Dolls.  Personally I would just drill some holes it if it was me.

Bickhamwitch - I just use covered litter trays in the shed for the local strays.  They usually have the vents in the top that you can mask up if you so wish and also the cat flap doors.  They are a lot cheaper, but not insulated or anything.  The only problem I have found is if outside they can let the rain in but in the shed sometimes the bedding feels cold to the touch.

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
None of my cat beds are enclosed. But I had been thinking of getting a waterproof enclosed one to put in my shed for the little stray/feral I feed. I will certainly think carefully about the design of one after reading this thread.
Julie.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:50:20 AM »
 :'(  That's awful.  Thanks for bringing it to our notice Tan.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
DANGEROUS CAT BED please beware
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 23:53:10 PM »
Any egg shaped bed like this please be aware
Heard this story where this bed fell forward on onto front opening during night. Poor cat inside couldn't get out as it was too heavy, no air holes

Poor babe died :'(

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=325318420980053&id=100005056924686
Debra-Pepper Hennig
The pet bed in this photo is a DEATH TRAP.
Please share this with everyone you know who has a pet.
I purchased this egg-shaped pet bed online for my mom's cat. In spite of the flat bottom of the egg, during the night the egg flipped over onto it's face with the cat inside (he was a full-grown large cat). Because there were no air holes in the egg and the opening was flush to the floor the cat suffocated and died a horrible death within hours. We discovered his body the next morning. His face and paws were bloody from trying to escape. This bed is a death trap. If you have one - DRILL AIR HOLES in it immediately. Personally I would cut it in half and throw it away. We are traumatized.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 13:48:43 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat