Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cystitis
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 19:46:31 PM »
So pleased she is eating and is forgiving  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 19:41:39 PM »
Just wanted to drop on and thank everyone for their support. Under protest, Sky went for her checkup today to see how she is healing and it all looks good.  If Sky ever stops eating I will know she is seriously ill Gill!  The first thing she did when she got home (after hiding) was go to her food bowl - I'm guessing service at the vets was not as frequent and tasty as at home!  Sky is extremely forgiving and loving though and has forgiven me. :)

Hadn't realised that is what Napoleon had.   :hug:

Just a waiting game now to see what the stones were and to see what her diet needs to be in future.  Oh, and to hope the insurance will pay out!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 19:42:47 PM by Sootyca »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 19:18:41 PM »
I dont know how I missed this and so pleased you got Sky to vets in time. Getting her eating is now important  :hug: :hug:

This is what happened to napoleon, he had only one working kidney and stones from the other broke up and a pieces got into his bladder.

It was made from the stuff that cannot desolve and nearly lost him during the op but he never started eating again  :( :(

Birmans are so sensitive and with hindsight I so wish I had brought him home after the op but was scared that he may break the stitches internally as he probably would not have survived another op.

Please give Sky a gentle stroke from me if she will let you.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 18:30:03 PM »
Stopping her from jumping hasn't worked - picked her up a couple of times but that upset her more as she really doesn't like being carried or picked up and I was worried I might hurt her. She only jumps up and down from bed a couple of times a day so have had to take a risk. Trying to tempt her up some makeshift steps was not a success!

Was worried that she wasn't going to the loo for a poo but today we had one. Can't believe that I am excited to know the litter tray has been used!!!

She is being super-affectionate as well so maybe she has been feeling rotten for a while.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 17:02:09 PM »
Glad you trusted your instincts.  :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 16:25:31 PM »

Glad she's home  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »
She's home :)  Not in the least bit happy - she did let me stroke her and licked me a few times but she wants to be on her own.  Got to try and stop her from jumping anywhere and breaking the stitches.

Robbie went straight to her and started washing her :)  I thought he would take a bit of time to get used to her again as it has been 2 days and she would smell of vets but no.

Saw the xray and the stones were large in comparison with the bladder so she must have been uncomfortable.  One of them is heading to America for analysis to see what it was made up of and she may need a diet change to reduce the risk of it happening again.  The other one came home with us...I suspect it may be heading to the bin!!!

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 18:30:06 PM »
Surgery went well apparently. She had 2 large stones in her bladder. She has had to stay in overnight again as she is on strong painkillers and they will keep an eye on her.

All being well she will be home tomorrow.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 14:46:19 PM »
hope she is fixed quickly

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
 :hug:

She needed to be left so you certainly did the right thing.

Here's to picking her up later

x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
Feel better about leaving her now.  She had a settled night but didn't urinate so they have xrayed her today and presumably got a sample.

Vet rang and she needs an immediate operation as she has some massive blockages (I think he said kidney but may have been crystals) that need to be removed.

If she comes out of it okay she can be home tonight so fingers crossed.

Glad I was erring on the side of caution with her.

Karen
x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »
Aaw poor Sky  :( 

We had lots of problems with Dinah on and off for sometime but she is now on a urinary food diet. 

She isn't overly keen on the wet RC urinary but loves the dry. 

Touch wood, she hasn't had any recurrence for quite a while now.  I do however keep a bottle of metacam in reserve just in case as the vet consultations were getting very expensive. 

Hope Sky is feeling a good deal better very soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
 :hug: :hug: all round.
My girls get cystitis every now and then but touch wood, after getting them to drink more and isolating the cause of the stress which brought it on they aren't so bad.
I've mixed up a cranberry tablet (normal human one and split it to get the juice out) in weebox paste before but now I also put water in with their wet food to make a gravy and they lick the bowl dry now before they eat any meat. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 22:21:41 PM »
Poor baby  :'( Sootyca and Sky  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Cystitis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 21:05:16 PM »
Poor Sky has been having a nasty bout of cystitis for 2 weeks.   she had a steroid injection which initially helped her but when it wore off she was back to being poorly again.  On Monday night she had a different injection (metacam) and I've been putting it on her food since, along with her cystaid tablets. Although she has improved in herself her litter-tray habits haven't and if anything have got worse.

The vet took her in tonight to get a urine sample and to xray her bladder to see what is going on as she should have started responding better by now.  The look on her face as she went through the door was heartbreaking.  I offered to take her back first thing tomorrow but he wanted her tonight (cynical me says its for the money).  I know it's for the best but I feel awful because I had to leave her :( 

Link to CatChat