Author Topic: how many meals do you feed?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline R and R

• Kitten
Re: how many meals do you feed?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 23:44:51 PM »
Do you have the freestnding red dot machine from the purrs shop ours love it we have 3 of them on the go although 2 now run till the batteries die as they were assaulted by the Bengallys Quaver, Minstrel and their Mum Pyper and an nearly 9kg NFC sat on top of them!!!

We have hand held laser toys... they go down quite well... I was thinking of getting one of the ones your talking but my OH didn't like the idea in case the laser caught them in the eyes... (he is very protective :shy: ).... would you say there is any chance of that happening?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »
Do you have the freestnding red dot machine from the purrs shop ours love it we have 3 of them on the go although 2 now run till the batteries die as they were assaulted by the Bengallys Quaver, Minstrel and their Mum Pyper and an nearly 9kg NFC sat on top of them!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline R and R

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »
BTW they get wet and raw no dry, so high calories it here... We do play with them quite a lot and they have lots of play opportunities... This is great for the boy he will play till exhausted (demands frenzy time every evening!) The problem is the girl likes to watch things, play the type of games where she can lye on her back and grab at things (then groom the toy victim to death) or get treats out of an awkward box.... Not the greatest games for weight control... She will run and jump but only for a limited time.....

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »

My vets is not keen on wet food  :Crazy: as it is so much more calorific than dry.

never heard that before!  mine get fed twice a day wet food with dry down all day

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
I leave dry food out all the time.

They used to get half a pouch of wet food twice a day as wel;, but this has reduced to one pouch split between 3 once a day.

Evie was getting chubby, and Dexter has had dental problems and wet food is worse for this apparently. And Denzel just licks the gravy off anyway.....  :rofl:

My vets is not keen on wet food  :Crazy: as it is so much more calorific than dry.

I know there are pros and cons for both.

I would reduce the amount and try and give them plenty of playtime if they are indoors only.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »
3 meals a day here.  I would stick with 3 meals but reduce the amount, although many do fine with 2 meals a day.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 16:20:36 PM »
Young vet advised me little and often for Noni who has weight ishoos but not convinced as she also said dry food was fine for her and advice I hear elsewhere is that dry food only, not a good idea. 

Neutered girls seem to be prone to weight probs more than neutered males.  All 3 of our girls are on the porky side but Noni especially so.  The boys are just right altho it wouldn't kill Boris to lose a couple of pounds purrhaps ...

We have 7 cats so difficult to accommodate different feeding times.  Ours go out though so less of an issue than with indoor cats?

All I would say is main meal of the day here (they have 3 meals a day which I understand is 1 too many and we tend to reward begging behavior with a small bunch of dry food kibbles here and there  :-[ ) is the suppertime meal around 9.30pm in an effort to stop them mugging us for food before 6am.  Even so Dinah wakes OH between 5.30 and 5.45am; better than any alarm  :innocent:

Offline R and R

• Kitten
how many meals do you feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 14:21:02 PM »
My two get 3; breakfast, dinner and a bed time snack (half the amount of dinner) they are however starting to get a bit round... Especially Ripley (she was unwell recently and her weight was commented on by quite a few of the proffessionals that saw her) they are only a year and half old and as they are indoor cats I am conscious about thier weight.... Now I am going to reduce the amount they are fed as soon as all of Ripley's results come back(just in something needs to be taken in to account from them and to give her plenty of time to settle before she has to deal with change).. But I am debating whether to make thier dinner smaller and continue with 3 meals or just stop giving them the bed time snack.... It would be more convenient for us to reduce to 2 meals... but on one hand I have read a long gap between meals is good for cats systems digestive and others but on the other hand I have read that cats should eat little and often to avoid excess stomach acid...  (?)  I am wandering if anyone has any advice/opinions on this and how often people feed thier fur families....?

Link to CatChat