Author Topic: cat jumping on the kitchen counter  (Read 4266 times)

Offline R and R

• Kitten
Re: cat jumping on the kitchen counter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 19:07:10 PM »
Hmmm unless he/you are willing to move the toilet, then I would say it is keep counters clear, accept he will be on them and clean before you prepare any food... I have heard people claim that they have trained their cats not to go on this or that... but I think what they have done is trained their cats not to go on this or that in the presents of their owner....

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mully and Lexi
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 18:45:42 PM »
Our cats are only allowed in the kitchen supervised, well Rico can be left in there as long as someone is around... Ripley will be up on the sides as soon as she thinks she not being watched when we are out ect the door is firmly shut. They know not to go on the side as when they were kittens we would remove them every time they went up, Ripley also understands the verbal and visual command 'out' (even though she does argue back), which also means down/off ect Rico understands the visual command but of course he has to be looking and he does not 'listen' unless you are quite near him... it's not just that we cook in the kitchen but there are cooking knives on wall magnets a first aid box including meds in a cupboard so really it is for their safety as well, one more thing someone mentioned a cat tree, we have bar stools and breakfast bar, the bar stools are well used by the cats for sitting, watching and sleeping on....   

Mully is very good at following commands if we say no down in a stern voice he knows we mean business and will immediately get down the problem is when were out and we can't close the kitchen door as his loo is in there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 18:47:54 PM by gillian86 »

Offline R and R

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 18:29:36 PM »
Our cats are only allowed in the kitchen supervised, well Rico can be left in there as long as someone is around... Ripley will be up on the sides as soon as she thinks she not being watched when we are out ect the door is firmly shut. They know not to go on the side as when they were kittens we would remove them every time they went up, Ripley also understands the verbal and visual command 'out' (even though she does argue back), which also means down/off ect Rico understands the visual command but of course he has to be looking and he does not 'listen' unless you are quite near him... it's not just that we cook in the kitchen but there are cooking knives on wall magnets a first aid box including meds in a cupboard so really it is for their safety as well, one more thing someone mentioned a cat tree, we have bar stools and breakfast bar, the bar stools are well used by the cats for sitting, watching and sleeping on....     

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 21:42:34 PM »
Have a look at this hun
http://jacksongalaxy.com/2012/08/10/qa-how-to-keep-cats-off-counter-tops/

Thanks for that, just watched and he gave some very useful advice. I'm a massive Jackson Galaxy fan and often look to his videos for tips, I think we will look at getting him something so he can see what's going on outside as well as trying to find a deterrent as he loves looking out the window. 

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
cat jumping on the kitchen counter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 20:30:26 PM »

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 16:54:26 PM »
If you can get the refills this is very effective, I bought the head from eBay and the refills from this site so got the set quite a bit cheaper. George is very wary now when venturing near the counter top. I also have a cat tree in the kitchen as mentioned below but Polly has adopted it as her no1 fave spot so it's no use for the rest of them  :doh:

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/fox-deterrents/ssscat

It also scares the life out of me if I forget to switch it off when I'm in the kitchen.

I'm convinced this site belongs to Rosella by the way  :hug:

Thanks  :) will consider this as I have heard it can work we did try sticky tape but he just found a way round it so maybe that will work better.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 16:41:00 PM »
If you can get the refills this is very effective, I bought the head from eBay and the refills from this site so got the set quite a bit cheaper. George is very wary now when venturing near the counter top. I also have a cat tree in the kitchen as mentioned below but Polly has adopted it as her no1 fave spot so it's no use for the rest of them  :doh:

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/fox-deterrents/ssscat

It also scares the life out of me if I forget to switch it off when I'm in the kitchen.

I'm convinced this site belongs to Rosella by the way  :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 18:23:39 PM »
That reminds me - Geoffrey used to answer us back  :rofl: we would say 'down' or 'off' and he would look at us and miaow, and we'd have a 5 minute conversation 'off' ''miaow' 'off' 'miaow' x100 before giving up  :evillaugh:  I wish I'd videoed it as it was utterly hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 18:24:10 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 15:07:09 PM »
I agree with the clutter LOL

Leave the end they are allowed free with water and biscuits but Lupin will try clutter or not but he has learnt a crash means trouble and he runs................too late cos damage is done!

We've had no more incidents since the breakfast one luckily. He only seems to do it when were not around so think he's just pushing his luck when unsupervised. When were there and we say get down he does right away.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 14:44:33 PM »
I agree with the clutter LOL

Leave the end they are allowed free with water and biscuits but Lupin will try clutter or not but he has learnt a crash means trouble and he runs................too late cos damage is done!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 22:25:05 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: You are clearly the boss in your house ;) ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 22:14:54 PM »
We just gave up until they got too old to be able to jump up there!  We said no, and sometimes they listened, and sometimes they didn't, but they definitely got up there when we weren't looking (telltale hairs and occasional bites missing from food we left out) so we decided there was no point in telling them off.  Instead we instigated a regime of ensuring there was nothing worth them getting up there for.  It didn't work, of course, they still carried on trying, and occasionally we would forget and they would get a bite of cupcake or a lick of butter, or similar. 

Thank goodness they're getting older!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 02:54:25 AM »
1. Get rid of other half
2.Very true, you must patent it if you find the answer  :evillaugh:
3. Don't leave food out
4. Like the idea of the tinfoil trays with water but not sure it would work as cats are very determined ;)
5. Mully should have his own dish of cereal  :Luv2:
6. Give him some Dreamies to get him down
7. Mully rules
8. Mully is your baby and can do no wrong

Not much help am I?  :naughty:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 20:05:14 PM »
The only way I've found is to have so much clutter on your work surfaces that there's no room for a cat  :rofl:

Failing that, just hide your food!  ;)

The only thing that works with Mosi is actually getting up and physically removing him.  I can say no until I'm blue in the face and he will ignore me.  However he has now learned that if I get up and  move towards him forcible eviction from the place of interest will occur.  As it's clearly humiliating to be lifted down from a kitchen counter, he jumps down first.  Until I've turned my back  :innocent:  In fact, he is so conditioned to me doing that that he now gets down if he sees me get up for anything.  Last night he was on the kitchen counter and I just couldn't be bothered to do anything about it and there was no food on there.  But I needed the loo so got up and moved in the direction of the living room door - which is also in the direction of the kitchen.  He thought I was heading for him so jumped down straight away  :rofl:

Mostly I don't mind him on the worktops but if I leave a pan on the hob with fat in it or a roasting pan cooling, he will jump up and start licking the pan  :shocked:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 19:50:09 PM »
I saw something about stopping cats getting on worktops. AApparently if you put some aluminum trays on the worktop with some water in and some plastic cups or metal items when the cat jumps up it will get wet paws and the other items will make a noise as they fall on the floor.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 18:14:38 PM »
Nope I haven't found anything.  My cats were trained to go on one counter to get their food ( our dogs used to eat it otherwise), but still on rare occasions went on the other.

I think Jackson Galaxy says to put up cat tree near the work areas so kitty can watch without being on the surface.  I'm not sure how successful that would be though, especially with Tuna around. :evillaugh:

Ps  One Christmas we left the Turkey plate on their side, waiting for the Turkey next day, and found a cat asleep in it a few hours later.  I guess she thought it was her new bed. :rofl:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 14:49:32 PM »
can you shut the door, it might sound obvious but we had to do that for a while to stop one of ours getting on the dining table when people were eating then she sort of forgot she ever did

Yes we do sometimes do this and he will protest outside the door but we just try and block it out. I think in future we may have to just continue to do this as its the only way to stop him getting up there indefinitely.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 14:48:05 PM »
I feel tempted to say if you do find a way of keeping a cat off the worktops, I think you should patent it

you'll make a fortune
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 14:43:36 PM »
can you shut the door, it might sound obvious but we had to do that for a while to stop one of ours getting on the dining table when people were eating then she sort of forgot she ever did

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 14:34:45 PM »
Sorry to say this, but I would never have a partner like that and would get rid ASAP.
Just my opinion .
Worried about you saying he is too hard on him ? What does that mean ? He smacks him?

Oh no he's never done that and if he ever did he'd be out the door. I don't believe that he would though deep down he loves him just as much as me he just gets much angrier when he does something naughty like really raises his voice which does no good as Mully just takes no notice. I have the soft approach and will use a stern no but I don't like to shout at him.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 13:43:02 PM »

I suspect Gillian meant he just expects Mully to behave like a dog - tell a dog "No" and they look guilty, furtive and apologetic.  Tell a cat "No" and they'll enquire why, then theorise with you for twenty minutes while blatantly demonstrating how superior they are to us. 

My OH used to go mad with Mac and Ross if they brought home mice and voles and stuff.  He thought shouting at them and waving his arms around would make them stop.  It didn't - normally all it meant was they dropped the (usually live) offering in affronted shock, which then meant it would take up residence under the nearest piece of heavy furniture, or alternatively they'd scamper off with it clamped in their jaws at high speed, looking indignant.

Finally - finally, I managed to persuade him that admiring the offering, asking if he can have a closer look, and distracting the gift-bringer, works far far better, and sometimes means live offerings can be returned safely to the outside relatively unscathed by the encounter. 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 13:34:17 PM »
No idea why someone else's pictures have turned up on my avatar !!.?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 13:32:39 PM »
Sorry to say this, but I would never have a partner like that and would get rid ASAP.
Just my opinion .
Worried about you saying he is too hard on him ? What does that mean ? He smacks him?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 13:33:17 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 13:26:50 PM »

[/quote]

He's far to hard on Mully at times and doesn't seem to get that he's just doing what cats do, I think he has some resentment because I am particularly close to Mully and treat him more like my child.
[/quote]

Yup - cats will be cats.  As to the second part of your post, that's a more telling difficulty to overcome.  Get over that one, and your first one becomes as nothing at all.   :hug:

Speaking as one who also treats my cats as my kids (as the vast majority of Purrs members do), am so very glad that my OH feels the same way.  Otherwise, he'd have to go.  :shify: 

Men can be educated, but it can be a lot harder to do than trying to teach a cat.  ;)

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 13:20:29 PM »
Mine are allowed to at one end by the window. Lupin occasionally tries other places but is removed immediately seen with a big no.

Afraid if you leave attractive stuff out they will investigate, cats will be cats  :innocent:

Usually we cover things left on the side so he can't get at them and I explained to my partner this morning that he should of done this. He's far to hard on Mully at times and doesn't seem to get that he's just doing what cats do, I think he has some resentment because I am particularly close to Mully and treat him more like my child.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
Mine are allowed to at one end by the window. Lupin occasionally tries other places but is removed immediately seen with a big no.

Afraid if you leave attractive stuff out they will investigate, cats will be cats  :innocent:

Offline gillian86

• Adult Cat
cat jumping on the kitchen counter
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on how to stop a cat from jumping on the side in the kitchen? We have tried using stern no and have put tape round the surfaces which worked till he found a way around it. If there's food on the side he will also help himself which happened just this morning with our cereal and my partner did not react well.

Link to CatChat